EVH 5150 iiis 100w EL34 vs Mesa Badlander 100w

vityafx

Hey there. So I couldn’t find a single video or a topic regarding these two amps. Both have 4 EL34 tubes, almost the same number of preamp tubes. What is the difference tone-wise and in any other means?

Please, leave the price and other non-sound non-technical topics out for this thread.

EVH is soldano inspired - they always have been. It’s way more forward in the mids whereas the badlander sounds low mids voiced and more full sounding. The EVH is more solo-friendly but can sound thin on the top end IMO.

I’m modding my 5150IIIS EL34 to 6550s. I’m also getting rid of that fizzy gain in the preamp.

I own an EVH 100w EL34 and I've played a Badlander 100 in a music store. I can't directly compare them but from what I could hear, the EVH is slightly more articulate, while the Badlander has a slightly fatter kind of tone but still more low end filtered than a standard Recto.

To me, the biggest differences in the amps would be how their negative feedback networks work in conjunction with the preamps. The amps actually sound fairly similar, both having high gain preamps with built-in low end filtering and EL34 power sections. However, the best way to think about the biggest differences between them is like this:

The EVH has standard Presence and Depth controls that dial in the respective amount of negative feedback in the high and low frequencies. The Badlander's poweramp "Presence" and "Depth" circuits are locked internally on 10, with a knob labeled "Presence" that is actually a hi cut at the end of the preamp. Additionally, the EVH probably has very slightly more aggressive low end filtering going into the preamp. This additional low end cut makes the EVH tone "more honky" or "clearer and more articulate" than the Badlander, depending entirely on your guitar, pickups, cab, and amp settings. Whatever differences you can imagine between these two types of systems is basically the difference between these two amps.

Here's an Ola video where he shoots them out with different cabs. Everything is time stamped so you should be able to jump around to just the Badlander and EVH parts.

Last edited:
Having owned both… EVH tighter, more gain on tap, has some of those honky mids that ALL evh amps have. Badlander is tighter than the other rectifiers, takes an od808 real well to give it more. It’s more scooped than an evh no honky mids. Has that great low mid grunt Mesa is known for but comes up a bit short in the treble department IMO.

Wow I don’t know if I had a “bad” badlander but the 100w version I had was pretty honky. It had less lowend than a 5153 100w. It did not have the low end I would have thought considering rectos in general have massive junk in the trunk.

Wow I don’t know if I had a “bad” badlander but the 100w version I had was pretty honky. It had less lowend than a 5153 100w. It did not have the low end I would have thought considering rectos in general have massive junk in the trunk.
Weird, I haven’t ever had a Mesa that was inherently honky. Traditionally they are much more scooped amps than any of the peavey and EVH line. I never run my mids over like 2 on a 1-10 scale on a peavey or evh. Low end on the badlander is definitely less than a traditional recto though as it’s meant to be a “tighter” amp.

i love the EVH. Never had a badlander. But this clip makes me wanna try

This was pretty close to what I was getting out of mine. He’s dead on thought about using the right type of boost. If you use a dirty tree or something it is no bueno.

I’ve not heard anything from the badlander to peak my interest in the least :dunno: It’s like they took everything I like about the “recto” tone and removed it

Does EVH sound good through Mesa cabs, at least compared to badlander? Or it is better tonality it with EVH cabs as well?

Does EVH sound good through Mesa cabs, at least compared to badlander? Or it is better tonality it with EVH cabs as well?
Just personal preference honestly. V30s vs greenbacks. I like my v30s. If you’re playing metal you’ll be hard pressed to beat a Mesa, they’re the standard. If you’re playing more rock genre then a greenback might be more your thing.

Back