NGD Kramer Pacer Classic

Matt300ZXT

After testing them out at Guitar Center today and not liking the Baretta Special but halfway digging the Pacer and coming home and looking more up on them, I decided to go back and get the passion purple or whatever it's called....though it's closer to a fuschia pinkish or something. Anyways, I had Guitar Center match their $379 price to Sweetwater of $299 so I came away with it.

I WAS going to immediately throw my spare OFR on but even after searching and before I left, I saw the internet say both studs were m7x0.5mm; they are not both that size. The OFR might be, but the FR Special is bigger and has a very fine thread. So one of these days I'll have to swap the bushings and studs over before I can install my OFR.

So after taping up the fretboard, working the hell out of the tarnished frets with 0000 steel wool along with the fret edges to do what I could for a few kinda sharp fret edges, and cleaning up and detaping, I got to work on restringing it. I had to reset the spring tension and bridge height to get it where I wanted. Then after stretching, tuning, stretching, tuning, rinse and repeat, I was able to get them to stay in tune so I could tweak the truss rod just a little, then retune and start intonating. 3 of the strings were dead on and 1 took just 1 little adjustment while the other 2 took a few, but still not hard to do. Now, 2 hours later, I can FINALLY play on it a little and see how it feels. It's not too bad!

My takeaway: the frets need better polishing and a wee bit of leveling in a spot or two on higher frets on the B and E strings. My friend and I should be able to do that at his shop with ease. The tuning keys are absolute garbage, and the string retainer blows. I'll have to order a better string retainer as the parts guitar the OFR came off of never had one on it. The pickups actually aren't bad, most people say they're actually decent. I don't think I'd be able to do much Zakk Wylde stuff with them but for just playing some good ol' 80s riffs and some lead work, they'll suffice. I don't really care for the 2 volume knobs and the layout, but ya know....it's just the nature of the beast.

That's the only one I have so far....it's too late and I'm too tired to fool much with it.

Attachments

• kramer.jpg
    kramer.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 39
Congrats. I like the Specials although the vintage trem is a challenge. Great value on these.

I've got a white one of these that I modded with a single pickup pickguard, DiMarzio super D, and made the selector switch a kill switch for the single pup. Damn $250 turd gets more play than my Gibsons lately. Lol.

I've got a white one of these that I modded with a single pickup pickguard, DiMarzio super D, and made the selector switch a kill switch for the single pup. Damn $250 turd gets more play than my Gibsons lately. Lol.
My greco has pretty much cured my gibby gas so I completely understand what your saying....

Back