Whats a good DiMarzio pair for this new Kramer I got?

Matt300ZXT

Most of my guitars have Duncans and I want some more DiMarzios in my life. It's the alder Pacer Classic. I have an Evo in my gold superstrat bridge and I dig how clean it is, if I make a mistake in my playing it tells me, but it can be a wee bit hot. Since I mostly just play rock and 80s riffs I'm leaning towards maybe a Tone Zone, Norton, Distortion, a hum combo something along those lines maybe. Any suggestions?

36 anni for the neck and maybe a distortion for the bridge? I live the 36 in the neck but to be honest, Tonenerd and Duncan are my faves.

Years ago I got a new Ibanez with D-Activator pickups; clear, hot but clean up nicely if I remember correctly. Wish I kept the guitar...

36 anni for the neck and maybe a distortion for the bridge? I live the 36 in the neck but to be honest, Tonenerd and Duncan are my faves.
I'd heard that Tonenerd name a few times over the past few days so I decided to check em out. They sound quite good. I dig the Sunset Strip, Wicked 8, The Roxy isn't bad, and dug the Whiskey pickup I saw a couple videos of.

I'd heard that Tonenerd name a few times over the past few days so I decided to check em out. They sound quite good. I dig the Sunset Strip, Wicked 8, The Roxy isn't bad, and dug the Whiskey pickup I saw a couple videos of.
Ive got the Sunset Strip , Roxy and Wicked 8 . Love all three of them in my Super Strats played thru my Splawns

Ive got the Sunset Strip , Roxy and Wicked 8 . Love all three of them in my Super Strats played thru my Splawns
Which of them do you think would work best for 80s riffs that weren't all power chords? I like to use the chorus riff from Round and Round that he ripped off of Van Halen as an idea for describing the clarity and articulation I'd like.

Which of them do you think would work best for 80s riffs that weren't all power chords? I like to use the chorus riff from Round and Round that he ripped off of Van Halen as an idea for describing the clarity and articulation I'd like.
For the Ratt style riffs the Roxy works great . That kind of stuff along with George Lynch style riffs are my favorite styles of music to play . It’s got some power behind it but it stays articulate with clarity like you’re talking about. It sounds great with the Soldano SLO pedal into a clean platform also . I’m using greenback speakers

Last edited:
I chatted with him and he recommended the Whiskey that he's finishing up. If I dig them, I may have to order some other pups, maybe for my Les Paul style guitar and maybe this Warmoth ive had for years. It's a jb/jazz but it is the hottest jb I've ever heard and kinda comes across as a lil sloppy and muddy a lot of times. I've never really been a big fan of that particular guitars jb.

I've been liking a Dimarzio PAF Joe in the neck and Fred in the bridge. Good solid PAF style pickups with a bit of extra character.

The D-Sonic is one of my all-time favorite Dimarzios. It sounds like you'd love it. Pairs great with a PAF Pro and almost any other neck pickup. Make sure to install it screws toward bridge and bar towards headstock.

Most of my guitars have Duncans and I want some more DiMarzios in my life. It's the alder Pacer Classic. I have an Evo in my gold superstrat bridge and I dig how clean it is, if I make a mistake in my playing it tells me, but it can be a wee bit hot. Since I mostly just play rock and 80s riffs I'm leaning towards maybe a Tone Zone, Norton, Distortion, a hum combo something along those lines maybe. Any suggestions?
Hate to give Suhr a promo but his pickups are a notch up from SD and DiMarzio.

I'd definitely go Norton in the bridge if you dig that Ratt/Dokken type of direction. It's decently hot, but less so than a JB. Harmonics fer days. Good, tight low-end.
PAF Pro will give you a bit too much cocked wah tone IMO.

Duncan Custom 5 (SH-14) or Custom/59 Hybrid would also be contenders. The Hybrid sounds more open and raw.
Neck=Air Norton or 36th PAF Anni. Air Norton=thicker/hotter/smoother, 36th Anni=more open, woody/natural classic PAF.

Tone zone and an evo. I was surprised when I got a custom shop Charvel and it came with those. I was ready to tear them out and replace them but they sounded good. I kept them.

I'm going to throw a curve ball and say get a Peavey Wolfgang pickup. Don't bother with the EVH version; the Peavey ones are worth hunting for.

Reactions: Geo
Back