Rack power amp for stereo effects

Ratou

Hi all,

I'm looking for a rack mounted stereo power amp (ideally 1 or 2 spaces, solid state) to power the stereo effects cabinets in a W/D/W set up. What would you guys suggest? It would be mainly for reverb from an Eventide Space. I currently use a VHT 2/90/2 but it is overkill for the purpose so looking for something simpler, smaller, lighter etc. Ideally solid state to avoid any tube related issues / maintenance.

Thanks!

For that application just about anything works, like one of the many Rocktron Velocity models or the Marshall 8008. For current production I´ve seen people use the Palmer Macht.

Overkill? Go big!

I recommend an Engl 850/100 tube power amp, dual 100W, 6L6GC.

It just so happens that I may sell mine in the near future :p

You can get 1U rack stereo power amps from Monoprice for $170, and many other brands on up in price. Back in the day, I used a few Crown power amps in a few of my rack rigs but they'll cost more.

Hi all,

I'm looking for a rack mounted stereo power amp (ideally 1 or 2 spaces, solid state) to power the stereo effects cabinets in a W/D/W set up. What would you guys suggest? It would be mainly for reverb from an Eventide Space. I currently use a VHT 2/90/2 but it is overkill for the purpose so looking for something simpler, smaller, lighter etc. Ideally solid state to avoid any tube related issues / maintenance.

Thanks!
I have a mesa 50/50 I'm looking to move, PM if interested.

Thanks a lot for the replies, the Palmer Macht seems like a good choice and can be bought new easily - will have a closer look. Thanks for the offers on the Mesa & Engl (great amps) but that's exactly what I'm trying avoid here haha, need something lighter as the rest of the gear is already all tube stuff that weighs a ton

Reactions: rsm
I have run a W/D/W for years with different power amps: BK Butler Mosvalve it was ok, I then ran a Peavey Classic 50/50 tube power amp for years and it worked good but colored the tone a bit because of the tubes. I then wanted an old H&H V800 but did not want the maintenance issues with an old mosfet power amp of that age so I bought a Matrix GT1000FX two rack space power amp and I have been extremely happy with it. It punches hard and is more transparent than my Peavey. I mostly decided to purchase the Matrix because of Dave Friedman's endorsement of it and Al Estrada slaves his Suhr SL68 live he is using two Matrix GT1000FX single rack space power amp driving multiple 4x12 cabs.

Hi all,

Thanks!
If you want the best, go HH....for SS anyway....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1856557236...ttuJkTHotckoFN3VEH3aEHhmQ=|tkp:Bk9SR9LltNuvYQ
Looks like 375w into 8 ohms (per side), probably 175w per side into 16 ohm cabs.
Edit: looks also like you'd have to get adapters or mod the outputs on the back.
Like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Banana-Speaker-Gold-Plated-Application-Headphone/dp/B08DXP78QP

Last edited:
I run a wdw system and I power two Recto 1x12 cubes with an ART SLA2. It’s a single space, current production power amp. It puts out 200 watts at 8 ohms per side in stereo and is built very well. Highly recommend it!

Back