Ace Frehley - A History

The "KISStory" series on the kiss diaries channel is well-done and entertaining; various members of Kiss recounting the drama since the beginning.

The "KISStory" series on the kiss diaries channel is well-done and entertaining; various members of Kiss recounting the drama since the beginning.
giphy.gif

Understood. Actually seen Kiss on the '75 Alive tour and as a kid they blew me away. There stage show was incredible for the time...still is. I was front row and felt the heat from flames out of Gene's mouth. By early 80's I lost all interest and it never returned. Wife loves them and seen them multiple times so she'll breakout the popcorn air popper and be riveted to the TV.

Reactions: rsm
Understood. Actually seen Kiss on the '75 Alive tour and as a kid they blew me away. There stage show was incredible for the time...still is. I was front row and felt the heat from flames out of Gene's mouth. By early 80's I lost all interest and it never returned. Wife loves them and seen them multiple times so she'll breakout the popcorn air popper and be riveted to the TV.
I have "King of the Nighttime World" on my phone, and I crank it up in the truck whenever I drive thru Chick Fil-A

Reactions: rsm
I have "King of the Nighttime World" on my phone, and I crank it up in the truck whenever I drive thru Chick Filet.
I have the first seven Kiss studio albums on my phone.

Nothing else.

...so far.

edit: I go through phases, did this with the Cure, Smiths, Deep Purple, Small Faces, Beatles, Dream Theater,...

And funny enough their best album (COTN) didn't have Ace on it. I'm a huge fan, lost count on how many times I've seen them but Creatures is absolutely smoking album. And it still stands up today.

After that album I have a particular fondness for Hotter than Hell, of which I feel has Ace's best playing. They've had some must owns albums IMO and then they've had some turds. 50 years in the business and that's going to happen.

Also two of my top 5 concerts were Kiss. Creatures tour where they were an absolute machine and then a warm up show for the Revenge tour at Center Stage in Atlanta.

And funny enough their best album (COTN) didn't have Ace on it. I'm a huge fan, lost count on how many times I've seen them but Creatures is absolutely smoking album. And it still stands up today.
Never really liked them UNTIL COTN. But that record was good. And other than the horrible title track, LIU was good too. I saw the LIU tour and it was right about then I ordered a custom Randy Rhodes Custom which had only just been released. But not pink.

Ace Spaceman Frehley. The king of beginner level pentatonic solos and vibrato that rivals Kirk Hammett and C.C. Deville.

I used to have a soft spot for Ace but he has been a drunken bitter fuck most of his career, and It goes beyond with him having to deal with 2 of the biggest ego maniacs in the industry/his band.

Ace Spaceman Frehley. The king of beginner level pentatonic solos and vibrato that rivals Kirk Hammett and C.C. Deville.

I used to have a soft spot for Ace but he has been a drunken bitter fuck most of his career, and It goes beyond with him having to deal with 2 of the biggest ego maniacs in the industry/his band.
well, selling out arenas and stadiums, making millions, having multiple platinum and gold sales and having girls throw themselves at you, etc., for 40+ years could have that effect on anyone.

:cool:

Never really liked them UNTIL COTN. But that record was good. And other than the horrible title track, LIU was good too. I saw the LIU tour and it was right about then I ordered a custom Randy Rhodes Custom which had only just been released. But not pink.
LIU was a solid album as well. I wished they had stayed with the same type production as on COTN. The production on that album is just so good, crystal clear almost. Robben Ford, and Steve Farris have some really good solo's on that album. Farris got offered the gig but couldn't sing, so they went with Vincent. LIU while good itself was tamed down a bit.

What’s crazy was VV was obv copping Ace in KISS, esp on COTN but then the Invasion was full on blown wad on every song. Total 180.

What’s crazy was VV was obv copping Ace in KISS, esp on COTN but then the Invasion was full on blown wad on every song. Total 180.
And one of the many reasons he was shown the door. I actually like VV's playing on COTN and LIU, it was tight, controlled and he could play with melody when he wanted too. It fit Kiss. On the COTN tour he was somewhat in the pocket but he went mental on the LIU tour. With his band he was just puking notes.

I'll tell you though, the two shows I caught them on the COTN tour they were just a knock your dick in the dirt badass machine. They finally had two guys that could bring the lumber in Carr and Vinnie. And really Paul and Gene were playing for their careers each night, so they delivered, attacked the stage. I saw them at their height on the Love Gun tour and though that show was still amazing for it's time, they were stars at that point. With COTN they were having to work to save their careers. COTN tour and album weren't a success at the time but it basically set the foundation for them to build off the rest of the 80's and 90's, until the Reunion Tour. Which since that point it's just nostalgia now.

It's really too bad there isn't a complete pro shot show of COTN. Sorry @PLX didn't mean to hijack the thread. Love old Ace. IMO he was just a notch above the fray on the first albums, he really had some memorable solo's. Worst thing as a fan of Ace that happened to him was fame and money. He literally and figuratively (his DeLorean) hit the wall.

Last edited:
Back