Vhx pre loop

XxEL-34xX

I just tried the pre loop on the VHX and noticed any cable I use even just jumpering send to return on the pre loop the cable picks up ground noise when I move it on top of the amp or around anything plugged in. Could the pre loop have an issue? Using new mogami gold and ernie ball cables and only happens on pre loop.

Last edited:
I just tried the pre loop on the VHX and noticed any cable I use even just jumpering send to return on the pre loop the cable picks up ground noise when I move it on top of the amp or around anything plugged in. Could the pre loop have an issue? Using new mogami gold and ernie ball cables and only happens on pre loop.

If the cable is not connected to anything it may still pick noise because it's high impedance and no source.

To check for issue please connect your guitar to input and verify it works as it should.

Then connect the same cable to PRE LOOP return instead, and nothing in the input, then activate the PRE LOOP, it should be exactly the same (there may be very slightly more noise due to additional 5cm shielded cable inside, but only if you have other transformers or devices very close to the input).

Please let me know if that's the case!

Thank you

If the cable is not connected to anything it may still pick noise because it's high impedance and no source.

To check for issue please connect your guitar to input and verify it works as it should.

Then connect the same cable to PRE LOOP return instead, and nothing in the input, then activate the PRE LOOP, it should be exactly the same (there may be very slightly more noise due to additional 5cm shielded cable inside, but only if you have other transformers or devices very close to the input).

Please let me know if that's the case!

Thank you
Guitar straight to input amd the pre loop return works great. Thank you Leo.

If I take the pre loop send to my tuner pedal and back out to return it has the ground noise though. Tried several different pedals and cables.

Last edited:
Guitar straight to onput amd the pre loop return works great. Thank you Leo.

If I take the pre loop send to my tuner pedal and back out to return it has the ground noise though. Tried several different pedals and cables.
Does it happen also without the pre loop? I mean if you plug your guitar in the pedal and from pedal to input?

If you connect the guitar to input and a cable from send to return of the pre loop there should be no noise, it's not clear if you tried it with the guitar attached or not.

If you hear noise this way it's possible that a connection got loose inside the amp, if no noise then it's almost certain that it's working good and it may be something else like the pedal power supply.

If you connect the guitar to input and a cable from send to return of the pre loop there should be no noise, it's not clear if you tried it with the guitar attached or not.

If you hear noise this way it's possible that a connection got loose inside the amp, if no noise then it's almost certain that it's working good and it may be something else like the pedal power supply.
Guitar to input and seperate cable straight from pre loop send to pre loop return adds ground noise that gets worse when you move cable thats in pre loop jacks near devices like phone or the amp.

Guitar to input and cable straight from pre loop send to pre loop return adds ground noise that gets worse when you move cable near devices like phone or the amp.

This means almost surely that the send cable inside got loose somehow. If you like we can proceed with warranty repair now, or if you don't want to be without amp we can wait for your next re-tube so I can get in contact with your preferred tech to quickly fix the issue or make the warranty repair in that time.

@XxEL-34xX
I'm sorry you're having trouble with your Pre-Loop.

I'm running a HX Stomp XL in my VHX Pre-Loop, and I'm getting no noise at all.
There is an slight volume bump when the Pre-Loop is engaged, but it is very, very slight, like +0.2db.
Doesn't affect the signal negatively. I love the Pre-Loop. It's a great feature, that can be toggled on and off with a footswitch,
or saved "On" to use Pedal FX immediately when calling up a Preset. Makes me want to get a pedal or two now!

I returned a VHX that came with a Pre-Loop that didn't work.
I'm so glad I did. I can't live without it now.
It'd be worth it to get it fixed, even just at the next re-tube.

This means almost surely that the send cable inside got loose somehow. If you like we can proceed with warranty repair now, or if you don't want to be without amp we can wait for your next re-tube so I can get in contact with your preferred tech to quickly fix the issue or make the warranty repair in that time.
I contacted sweetwater and they have setup a repair. I will ship VHX out on Wednesday. Hope it comes back home soon absolutely love this amp!

Last edited:
Really hope you get a fast turnaround on your repair! You are right to get the Pre-Loop fixed.

It's one of my favorite features on the VHX.

I've got my HX Stomp XL on a small pedalboard on top of my VHX, two 3ft Monster cables connect the HX to the VHX's Pre Loop, and I can control it all by just 1 Midi cable to my GCP. I'm foot-switching Synths, Overdrives, Etc... in front of my VHX, and it sounds amazing at band volume (95-103db). The Pre-Loop Rules!

Really hope you get a fast turnaround on your repair! You are right to get the Pre-Loop fixed.

It's one of my favorite features on the VHX.

I've got my HX Stomp XL on a small pedalboard on top of my VHX, two 3ft Monster cables connect the HX to the VHX's Pre Loop, and I can control it all by just 1 Midi cable to my GCP. I'm foot-switching Synths, Overdrives, Etc... in front of my VHX, and it sounds amazing at band volume (95-103db). The Pre-Loop Rules!
Sound so complicated... I have a Helix and Ground Control pro... but whenever I read the manual looks so confusing for my small brain lol

I wish their where more videos about all of this stuff. Like setting up the GCP to turn on/off FX. Right now I am just say....taking a preset I like, keeping it as my main dirt preset. Then adding delay, saving it as the next preset. Turn off delay and add reverb, save again etc. So I am making all these presets for the same dirt tone.

@Leo Diezel would be great if you did some detailed YouTube videos on all things Midi. :)

Cheers!

@MesaSean
It's really not that difficult.
I've found the Ground Control Pro to be the easiest Midi device to program of all my Midi devices..
The Helix is more complicated.

My Midi Setup: GCP Midi Out > Midi Cable > HX Stomp XL Midi In / HX Stomp XL Midi Out/Thru > Midi Cable > Diezel VHX Midi In

To set the VHX FX to Toggle on/Off with the GCP:
1. Press both Setup Buttons on GCP to enter Setup Mode
2. Press "Instant Access" button
3. Press "Yes" button until display reads: CH01 CTL004 (this means Button #1 will use Midi Channel 1 to control #004
4. Press "Cursor" right button to move to Control #
5. Press "No/Yes" buttons to set Control # to #017 (this Toggles the VHX Pre-Loop on and off)
6. Use "Bank Up/Down" buttons to move through, and set each of the 8 Instant Access buttons to toggle FX
7. For instance: I set Instant Access button #2 to Control #019 to Toggle on and off VHX FX Block - FX 2 (I usually set to Phaser/Chorus)
8. I set IA buttons #3 & #4 to Control #020 & #021 to Toggle on and off VHX FX Block - FX 3 & FX4 (Delay & Reverb)
9. I set IA button #8 to Control #006 to Toggle on/off the VHX Boost function (+3db boost)

Since I use the Hx Stomp XL in the Pre-Loop:
10. I set GCP Instant Access button #5 to Control #050 (Toggles on/off HX Button #1 - Usually a Drive Pedal
11. I set GCP Instant Access button #6 to Control #051 (Toggles on/off HX Button #2 - Usually a Pitch Shift)
12. I set GCP Instant Access button #7 to Control #052 (Toggles on/off HX Button #3 - Usually a Mod: Chorus/Phaser, etc..

When you are done programming all 8 Instant Access buttons, Press "Edit" button, then Press "Yes" button to save.
You're all set up!

*make sure your VHX is set to Midi Omni, and your Helix to Midi Ch 1

Back