Help me buy a PRS

MetalThrasher

I've always wanted a PRS, and I plan on getting one soon! I'm a complete noob when it comes to PRS guitars. I'm looking to spend around $1,800. What can I get for this amount? I'm open to both used and new but I'm sure buying used is probably the best way to go. I've been looking at the mid 90's models, a CE-22 and a CE-24. What's the difference between them other than the number of frets? It seems that the CE-22's from that era come with the dragon pickups which I've heard are supposed to be good. Looks like there are two versions of this pickup. Dragon 1 and Dragon 2. What's the difference? Does the CE-24 from the same era come with the dragon pickups or something different? I know these are 25-inch scales. Does PRS make any 25.5-inch scale models? I mostly play thrash metal and a little bit of old school death metal and the lowest I tune is a whole step down to D. What should I look at! Help me get a PRS!

I prefer 22 Frets over 24 that's just personal opinion but I will say the original Dragon pickups are great pickups if you can get an older model of the ce 22 or 24 and a lot of them have beautiful flamed Maple necks which is a huge Plus for me I love a flamed out neck! Good luck and can't wait to see the pics.

None of the above. If you must ask, I'm an accountant.
Ah, well thats close enough. We, your guitar brethren, shall allow you to own one. I have always kinda dug the single cuts, but so many of the traditional design are such beautiful guitars. I, along with many, just have always had trouble justifying what they ask for one. Sweet guitars for sure, they're just like the red headed stepchild of the big 3 for traditionalists. I hear very good things about their old dragon pickups.

Reactions: rsm
If you can grab an old CE-24, you should do it; Core level build quality and they play really well! Absolutely no problem playing thrash on them. Too bad you aren't in Canada: I am selling a 96 CE 24 right now! Lol!

Attachments

• IMG_1601.jpg
    IMG_1601.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 21
  • C9553DC6-.jpg
    C9553DC6-.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 23
I’m a PRS guy, myself. Have four of them, want more.

First thing first, do you want a trem or not? And do you want 22 or 24 frets?

I’m a PRS guy, myself. Have four of them, want more.

First thing first, do you want a trem or not? And do you want 22 or 24 frets?
Trem, no stop tail. 22 or 24 frets, it doesn't matter to me. What's the difference between wide fat and wide slim neck? Is the fat a 50's LP neck and a slim is a 60's LP neck in comparison?

I had an early 2000's standard 24 and hated it. The CE24s and CE22s are great. The best guitar I never bought was a CE24 from the 90's. It was dinged up and GC wanted too much for it, but it was such a sweet guitar. The CE22s feel right as well. I have tried a few of the newer CE24s, and some played great, while others did not. A CE24 is definitely high on the GAS list.

I would drop $1800 on this:

Trem, no stop tail. 22 or 24 frets, it doesn't matter to me. What's the difference between wide fat and wide slim neck? Is the fat a 50's LP neck and a slim is a 60's LP neck in comparison?
Neck comparison is somewhat accurate. If you’re a shredder you’ll like the pattern thin. The pattern regular is my favorite, but I dig all their necks. I’d look for a used 2012+ custom 22/24. I love the ce-24s but the core models feel like luxury.

Pretty sure I played this guitar at Sweetwater yesterday. Played one that they had on the floor anyway. Felt good, lighter than I expected, and was loud acoustically. The neck had some meat and felt fairly close to my 60's LP Standards.

I know that it is an S2, and being a PRS noob, I think that the finish is different from the Core series. Poly maybe? At least that is what didn't like about the back of the neck. It was a bit sticky but then again, it was on the floor at Sweetwater so I washed my hands after.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/S2M594EG--prs-s2-mccarty-594-elephant-grey

I lucked out some years ago, and scored a mid 90's CE24 for $850 locally. I kinda bought it on a whim, half expecting to flip it, as I'd always wanted a PRS but didn't have any interest in dropping $3k on some ridiculous high end flame top.

It took a bit of time for it to grow on me, but it's ended up being one of my favorite guitars I've ever owned. The only think I changed was swapping out that useless rotary switch for a normal 3 way, which didn't give me all 5 switching options anymore but I never used them anyhow. If I come across another good deal on a players grade one, I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat.

78368344_10157952956304123_8151560710460014592_n.jpg
12799078_10154328173789123_3863116585370902369_n.jpg

Last edited:
In 2005 I was in Nashville looking for a PRS. The guy kept bringing different ones to me and I found the Custom 24/dragon2 pickups was the best for me. The color was terrible. Stupid silver; who gets a PRS and doesn’t show its wood grain? Well it’s now one of my favorite playing guitars I own. I used to say I’ll be buried with my E series strat but the 20th anniversary custom takes the cake. As a side note; when going through my divorce in 2006, I had very few things even though we appeared to have “everything”. None of it was mine though-stupid trinkets sitting around a “perfect house” looking just that- stupid, wtf is this shit? ; My guitars and my guns stayed with me. Mine!

I had a sc artist 10 top with solid rosewood neck. amazing guitar. did not rip like my lp's but did everything else as good or better.

I've got two - Custom 24 10-top and Tremonti Artist grade. My favorite guitars by a mile. Going to pick up the DGT SE when it comes out.

Back