EVH 5150 Iconic?

MetalThrasher

How does the Iconic compare to a 6505? I already have a 6505 so I'm wondering if there's a huge difference between the two to justify getting the Iconic or save my money for something else?

Never had a 6505. Used to have a 5150 block letter.

It’s a good amp. AND the price is excellent. It can actually get close to the stealth. But not quite there. That should give you an idea. Try one. I will say it’s not quite as dark as the 5150 but it has plenty of gain.

Never had a 6505. Used to have a 5150 block letter.

It’s a good amp. AND the price is excellent. It can actually get close to the stealth. But not quite there. That should give you an idea. Try one. I will say it’s not quite as dark as the 5150 but it has plenty of gain.
I played one a few months ago. Very impressed...my impression is, the clarity is just short of a 6L6 Stealth, but the single note stuff is fatter than the Stealth...which was one of the things I didn't care for with it. I'd take it over the 50w 6L6 or the 6L6 Stealth.
I have not played either EL34 version though.
Probably the best bang for the buck new amp out there.

I played one a few months ago. Very impressed...my impression is, the clarity is just short of a 6L6 Stealth, but the single note stuff is fatter than the Stealth...which was one of the things I didn't care for with it. I'd take it over the 50w 6L6 or the 6L6 Stealth.
I have not played either EL34 version though.
Probably the best bang for the buck new amp out there.

Considering the price it’s a great amp. I like the green channel with the gain. Red channel I have to turn gain down a bit. And with burn 🔥 it’s way more than I need. It has its own vibe. Funny everyone associates price with quality tone. 🤷‍♂️ I’ll let my ears decide. 👍.

Awesome amp for the price. They're a little more Marshally voiced than the other 5150 amps. Love mine.

I did a video on it a couple of months ago where I demonstrated it poorly respective of what most people want to use one for, but I agree that it is an amazing bang for the buck.

I played one. It reminded me of how thin my peavey vyper was. It has gain yes but there’s an anemic stature to it - not big and 3D sounding but for the money it’s a great working man’s amp. I wish I had the option of picking one up when I first started out playing in bands. If you have a 5150 already it will eat the floor of the iconic bar none if you’ve done the bias mod and put quality tubes in the 5150. I personally find my 20W 6505mh more useful for practice.

Reactions: Geo
I found it way easier to get EVH and 80's tones at a decent volume from the iconic than my old 5150 block. For metal the 5150 was a little better. The stock Iconic speakers are definitely voiced for old VH tones, not metal. Through a v30 4x12 it's much better but the old 5150 is better if you're able to crank it. With the iconic, the stock speaker is great on the green channel, the red channel is massively better with a v30.

Back