swapping pup magnets....

I did a magnet swap experiment with an Ibanez Infinity 2 pickup some time ago. Ordered a bunch of different magnets and ran trough them. I wrote this up on another forum back then on my assessment. I think I used a scale of 1-10 with 5 being the neutral midpoint; no boost or cut to the frequencies. Still have the clips on soundcloud if you want to give them a listen. The Inf2 isn't exactly a JB but it may give you a decent idea of how magnets will influence the sound (unless you talk to Glenn :LOL:)

Alnico 2 - Low=5.5, Mid=7, High=5.5, Output=Moderate. Really nice mids, lows are pretty tight and rounded highs. It gives the pickup a really nice crunch tone with a lower vintage output. It reminds me of a PAF style pickup. Overall I say it's a good fit for that crunchy classic rock rhythm sound.

Alnico 3 - Low=5.5, Mid=6, High=6, Output=Moderate. Similar to the Alnico 2 in output. It has about the same low end as the A2 but with a little less mids and a bit more highs. It's also somewhat comparable to a ceramic magnet but with less output. This I think would work well for playing classic rock lead guitar.

Alnico 4 - Low=5, Mid=5, High=5, Output=High. This one seemed to be pretty flat across the board, no real boost or cut in any of the frequencies. Has more output than the A2 or A3 but not quite as much as the A8. Not quite sure of the best application for this one, maybe if you have a really nice amp and want to shape your time with that instead of the pickup

Alnico 5 - Low=7, Mid=3.5, High=7, Output=Moderate. This one's the stock magnet and overall sounds kind of blah. It does have that scooped mids metal tone but just doesn't have the drive behind it to really be used for heavy metal. The output is more vintage and the tone is more metal and they just don't work well together.

Un-oriented Alnico 5 - Low=7, Mid=3.5, High=7, Output=High. If you're going for that scooped mids, high output metal tone this is where it's at. It has the same EQ as the stock A5 magnet and has the drive behind it to make it perfect for that chunky heavy metal rhythm sound.

Alnico 6 - Low=7, Mid=5.5, High=5.5, Output=High. I found this one to be kind of dark, not quite in the mud category but it's at least pulling into the driveway. The output Is good, similar to the A4 and UOA5. Still haven't figured out a good application for this one, maybe black metal. Actually it reminds me of if you put a bridge pickup in the neck position.

Alnico 8 - Low=6, Mid=7, High=6, Output=High. This one is an Alnico 2 on steroids. Great mids, tight bass & rounded highs. The tone is very similar to the A2 but with more modern/high output. It turns the INF2 pickup into a real beast. This would be perfect for those chunky heavy metal rhythm riffs. By far this one is my favorite.

Alnico 9 - Low=6, Mid=7, High=7, Output=High. I'd call this one a cross between the Alnico 8 & ceramic magnets. It has the low and mid response of the Alnico 8 along with the output combined with the nice highs of the ceramic. I think this would be perfect for balls to the walls high gain metal shredding.

Ceramic - Low=6, Mid=5, High=7, Output=High. Nice and bright with tight lows and moderate mids but not scooped mids. It keeps its articulation with high gain. The output is high but not as high as the stronger Alnico 8 or 9 magnets. It's your typical high gain lead sound but will also work well for rhythm.

I did a lot of mag swaps after getting into passive pickups and away from EMGs. I had a blast swapping mags and tone testing the results. If you’ve never done it, there is the fear of damaging the pickup. So maybe try swapping the mag out of a cheap parts shelf throw-away pickup first just to walk through the process on a Guinea pig pickup. Once you see how easy it is, you will have all your pickups out of your guitars with a sack of magnets on the workbench! Folks who have posted are absolutely right, there are some generalities as to how the various magnets affect tone, but there are also so many variables, that you just need to jump in and see how it affects your gear and your ears.

FWIW - I absolutely love the Rough Cast, Unoriented A5 in the Duncan ‘Custom’ wind. I have recently gotten totally into the Duncan ‘59 / Custom Hybrid and would really like to hear forum members thoughts on what different magnets will do with that asymmetric wind.

FWIW - I absolutely love the Rough Cast, Unoriented A5 in the Duncan ‘Custom’ wind. I have recently gotten totally into the Duncan ‘59 / Custom Hybrid and would really like to hear forum members thoughts on what different magnets will do with that asymmetric wind.
That's the first one I experimented with, many years ago.

You wind up (pun intended) with an 11.2kΩ humbucker, as I recall.

I have the Jalen Fair Warning in a guitar right now, and it's also an 18% coil offset humbucker.

I used a HighOrder asymmetric wind PAF style and did a magnet swap from A2 to A8 a while back. Recorded clips of each so I could A/B the tonal changes. The A8 increased the pickup's output by about 2 dB.

The tone had more girth.. punchier. Not as thin sounding.

Last edited:
Pickup rewinding should also be mentioned. Though it's quite invasive compared to magnet swaps, rewinding a pickup can totally transform it. I think Seymour Duncan will rewind a pickup for $125 (not sure about current costs), or you could use a cheap pickup winder. As long as you can count the winds and do it at an even speed, you can do it. Scatter-winding seems to be pretty popular thse days. I've heard all kinds of stuff though. I even heard something about an even wind 1/2 of the way then scatterwound the other 1/2 or whatever. Some people refer to "handwound" pickups and charge more for it. Whether any of these mystical winding techniques are worth a nickel, I don't know. However, just getting a good, experienced wind can produce a really great pickup from something cheap or ordinary.

What are you trying to achieve?
Tight-----Loose attack
Low-------High output
Bright------Thick

What kind of music on what pedals or amps?
I'm a custom 5 guy. The JB is just to.....not muddy but expressionless to me. The scooped toneprint works for me. The JB seems to do the opposite...all mids kinda. Stereo rig with a tremoverb and PV ultra + with marshall and avatar 4x12's with v30's. Running all Custom built drives(Griffin Electronics)....including my sig distortion pedal that I named after my penis. Thor's hammer.... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::rawk:

I'm a custom 5 guy. The JB is just to.....not muddy but expressionless to me. The scooped toneprint works for me. The JB seems to do the opposite...all mids kinda. Stereo rig with a tremoverb and PV ultra + with marshall and avatar 4x12's with v30's. Running all Custom built drives(Griffin Electronics)....including my sig distortion pedal that I named after my penis. Thor's hammer.... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::rawk:
I'm gonna say Wicked 8, based totally on Thor's penis.
But for the reals, the W8 is the Sunset on roids, with a bit more lows n highs. It's basically what you said, in my head.

I'm gonna say Wicked 8, based totally on Thor's penis.
But for the reals, the W8 is the Sunset on roids, with a bit more lows n highs. It's basically what you said, in my head.
I'll ask scottosan how much he needs paypaled and he can send me whatever. seriously.....

Ive found the biggest difference is wax potted vs no wax. If you can deal with it as in your volume knob on your guitar. Wax potted pickups sound dead to me. I think thats why i always thought most SD pickups sound the same or very little difference

Ive found the biggest difference is wax potted vs no wax. If you can deal with it as in your volume knob on your guitar. Wax potted pickups sound dead to me. I think thats why i always thought most SD pickups sound the same or very little difference
giphy.gif

Back