Stainless Steel Refret - Who's The Best

Six Stringer

I'm going to get one of my GLP's refretted with stainless steel. I'm in NC. I will ship it. I'd prefer not to wait 6 months either.

I spent some time looking around for the same thing in 2020. Luckily I found a guy about 4 hours away that did an incredible job refretting my LP with jumbo stainless and 50's wiring. From what I can remember, around Nashville were some famous tech dudes that were highly recommended. Google helped me find older and recent threads with names that were suggested so I would say start there and then match up to the names mentioned here. Has to be someone reputable that is not on a 6 month backlog.

Greg Platzer at BCR Guitar in Lemoyne, Pennsylvania but not sure what his turnaround times are at the moment.

Dmara guitars in Cincinnati just did a stainless refret for my Warmoth build but you’re looking at way past 6 months. He’s really backlogged

There's a guy named Sam Eakins, out of Woodruff SC, who does all of my work beyond that basics I can handle. I think he has a facebook business page under Elite Strings.

I can't say for sure if he specializes in SS frets though. I'm wanting to say he and I spoked about it before, in regards to a guitar I was considering a re-fret on, but I can't remember the details of the conversation.

Most things I drop off to him, get finished up within a month or so. A few times I've had him rush (fairly simple) jobs because I was playing out and needed them back within a few weeks, once or twice there's been a few month wait. He's always been pretty up front when he's that far behind schedule.

Just had one of my EBMM EVHs refretted with SS. I used Billy at B&D in Phoenix. He's the best, but he's also a short drive from my house. He doesn't supply any parts, so I got the frets from Philadelphia Luthier. He usually has a long lead time, but that's because he's really good.

NC Guitarworks and Pennland both have good reputations. Rosco in Greensboro has a Plek machine, too.

Back