Biggest sounding 212 you've played?

My 412 cabs destroy my 212OS cabs.
I should have read the original post more carefully. It's going to be hard to get the sound because the 4-12 is pushing 4 speakers rather than 2. I've had several 2-12 cabinets and to me the Bogner was the best and fullest sounding. Good luck with your search I'd be interested to see what you come up with.

Is it ported? I mean just based on physics alone, can volume to speaker ratio, I don't see how it could. If ported, then it could.

If money were not an issue, I'd get the port city wave vert cab.

But, if I really think I need another 212, I'd get the Stage Craft. Otherwise, I love my 412 cabs. Just sucks moving them.

I had a compact Marshall 412 years ago and wish I had held onto it.
It’s small and the Eminence drivers are high efficiency. Stuffed with polyfil it blooms and crushes. Huge sound.

I should have read the original post more carefully. It's going to be hard to get the sound because the 4-12 is pushing 4 speakers rather than 2. I've had several 2-12 cabinets and to me the Bogner was the best and fullest sounding. Good luck with your search I'd be interested to see what you come up with.
I find it is less about 4 speakers and more about internal cab volume.
For a year I used a detuned 412, a 412 cab with only two speakers. I couldn't really tell a difference between that and a 412 with 4 speakers.
So I think with a large enough cab, I'll get pretty darn close.
Anyway, no worries...this thread was good for me and has me thinking of what I want to do, if anything. :)

It’s small and the Eminence drivers are high efficiency. Stuffed with polyfil it blooms and crushes. Huge sound.
Good point! I've owned Eminence speakers and also high efficiency Celestion, plus other brands. I don't like speakers to be that highly efficient. It takes away too much feel for me.
That said, it's more about cab volume I have found, so if anything, I'll get the Stage Craft cab.

I have polyfil or batting in my Bogner cabs and I find the difference to be small, but it is noticable.

Good point! I've owned Eminence speakers and also high efficiency Celestion, plus other brands. I don't like speakers to be that highly efficient. It takes away too much feel for me.
That said, it's more about cab volume I have found, so if anything, I'll get the Stage Craft cab.

I have polyfil or batting in my Bogner cabs and I find the difference to be small, but it is noticable.
what difference do you find tone/sound wise with polyfil inside a cab?

what difference do you find tone/sound wise with polyfil inside a cab?
I had trouble hearing a difference when I used it with and without.
I also have a cab the same size, similar build without poly, and again it's hard to hear a difference.
Much bigger difference running the back semi open or just using my amp's excursion/resonance control.
I love the bigness when I use smaller cabs semi open, but the tone thins out a bit and loses punch and chunk.
I went back to closed back smaller cabs with the amp resonance turned up to add back in size/width/lows to the sound.

Biggest sounding I played and owned, the Avatar Vintage 2x12. Seriously it sounds really good and fat. Much like a Bogner 2x12 cab. I think the biggest sounding 2x12's have got to be the horizontal recto 2x12 though... or maybe a Genz Benz G-flex??

Biggest sounding I played and owned, the Avatar Vintage 2x12. Seriously it sounds really good and fat. Much like a Bogner 2x12 cab. I think the biggest sounding 2x12's have got to be the horizontal recto 2x12 though... or maybe a Genz Benz G-flex??
Yep, it's sort of a copy of the Bogner OS212 which is a similar size to my Stone Age 212C. Both of which I have and both are great.

Horizontal Recto sounds good but to me sounds smaller and more focused because it is such a short cab. It's so low to the ground. The Bogner sounds bigger in every way to me. Same with the Stone Age cab.
Thanks man.

Last edited:
My favorite that I’ve played through is the Bogner OS 2x12. But there’s just no way any 2x12 is gonna have that same wallop and fullness that a great 4x12 delivers.

Yep, it's a copy of the Bogner OS212 which is also the same as the Stone Age 212C. Both of which I have.
Horizontal Recto sounds good but to me sounds smaller and more focused because it is such a short cab. It's so low to the ground. The Bogner sounds bigger in every way to me.
Thanks man.

Are you are implying all three cabinet brand models are identical? If so, I assure you they are not. My 2x12C, like every speaker cabinet model I offer, is not a copy of any other cabinet model or manufacturer. It may be dimensionally close to the other cabinet models you mention, but there are many differences that come into play: type of joinery, thickness of the plywood shell, thickness of the plywood baffle, the baffle mounting method, side handle placement, speaker hole location on the baffle, the wood type/method of installation for cleats, just to name a few.

Last edited:
Sorry John,

No they are not. I meant that they are similar in size but not exactly the same. I use them in the same manner with different speakers. I love my Stone Age and my Bogner. Both great cabs.
I'll never know half what you do about cabinets so I'm sorry if it came across the wrong way!

If I ever got another 412, it would proba ly be a Stone Age. I'm using my 212C at rehearsal this week and excited to see how it sounds. I haven't used it out in a while since my Bogner has been at my bassist's house, I've just been using that.

One thing I notice with you Ir 212C is your placement of the opening in the semi open design. It's lower that the Bogner and it seems to contribute to a big tone and good bottom. I played it today at good volume and forgot how much I like this cab.

Thanks for jumping in on the thread John. I do love your cab. I've had it for so long. It's very resonant.

Sorry John,

No they are not. I meant that they are similar in size but not exactly the same. I use them in the same manner with different speakers. I love my Stone Age and my Bogner. Both great cabs.
I'll never know half what you do about cabinets so I'm sorry if it came across the wrong way!

If I ever got another 412, it would proba ly be a Stone Age. I'm using my 212C at rehearsal this week and excited to see how it sounds. I haven't used it out in a while since my Bogner has been at my bassist's house, I've just been using that.

One thing I notice with you Ir 212C is your placement of the opening in the semi open design. It's lower that the Bogner and it seems to contribute to a big tone and good bottom. I played it today at good volume and forgot how much I like this cab.

Thanks for jumping in on the thread John. I do love your cab. I've had it for so long. It's very resonant.

PSGuitar, No sweat my friend, no offense taken nor was none intended on your part. Hell, all are great cabinets in their own right. It's just a matter of players discovering which one best fits the bill for their particular needs. But that's half the fun. Glad you're still digging the 2x12C !

Hey guys,

I'm curious if anyone has tried a Port City ported cabinet?

I'm probably gonna try to get a hold of a pre owned one this summer or a Genz Benz G-Flex.

Hey guys,

I'm curious if anyone has tried a Port City ported cabinet?

I'm probably gonna try to get a hold of a pre owned one this summer or a Genz Benz G-Flex.

I have a couple port city os 2x12s.

It’s been so long since I’ve played thru a 4x12, but I remembering being happy when I got them compared to my old 4x12 with green backs. I downsized to a 2x12 when I joined my current band..

Currently my gigging cab has neo creambacks (light!) with an Fm3, home cab has Scumback m75s with an SL67.

Both sound amazing and I’ve had zero issues in 12 years. Really like the recessed top handle for load in.

Back