NPD: Wizard Gate Minder

Update: I just tried it with my 1972 Marshall SuperLead 100 at very loud volumes purposely using unpotted ‘60’s pickups that feedback a lot. As a gate I’m sorry to say it’s really not good enough to work for that feedback, BUT it’s my new favorite buffer. I love the tone color it adds to the amp when it’s turned off, so as silly as it sounds that’s gonna be this pedal’s new niche for me. It really does add some clarity, sparkle and my palm mutes sound more defined or chunky somehow. Very glad to have this, but not as a pedal to turn on lol
"Do you have any 'always on' pedals in your rig?"
"No, but I do have an 'always off' pedal."
lol

"Do you have any 'always on' pedals in your rig?"
"No, but I do have an 'always off' pedal."
lol
Hahaha with touchy amps like my 1972 SuperLead those can be just as important. I’ve always had various favorite “always off” pedals for it. With potted pickups or with my MV or more modern amps it still will be used when I need a gate. I think also I may have just given it too much of a challenge with that task. Even the Phalanx wasn’t cutting it. It was better, but it’s tone suck was also too obvious

Last edited:
I use an RJM tone saver to split the signal to my Zuul key input. It is a nice buffer… probably acts in a similar way to your disengaged gate

I use an RJM tone saver to split the signal to my Zuul key input. It is a nice buffer… probably acts in a similar way to your disengaged gate
Actual buffers IME don’t sound like this Wizard turned off. It’s not saving the tone, but more doing little things that I think make it better/color it in a good way, whether intentional or not. Sometimes there are happy accidents like this with gear. Whether buffers or not, 99%+ of recent made pedals IME have this inherently filtered/plastic-y sound (to various extents) that I hate (including the 2 other gates I’ve kept). I feel this Wizard pedal is among the few that is the opposite of the that with actual good tone to it. Not like my vintage pedals, but good

Last edited:
This kinda thread is why I always read the stuff braintheory posts.
Always learning a little more and more about this madman.
Sam goes so far down rabbit holes he pops up in Australia.
There is much method to his madness though, and he’s never steered me wrong with gear advice.

I'll have to try the wizard one out for myself too.Ive also tried many others but didn't like the tone suck.Rarer than hens teeth,but one I actually did like a lot was the original rockman smart gate. I had like 5 of them.What I'm looking for in a gate ( besides no tone suck) is one that you can turn on and off via midi, cc#, or short to ground jack. To my knowledge there's none.i have a source audio eq that does,but it's gating is average at best.

Back