W800 wow this is an 80’s machine "clip added pg 2"

Sounds like the gain a pretty low on both amps but sounds great. My W800 is being built right now.
Yeah thats me. I don’t use a lot of gain. Plus not using using high output pick ups. That’s awesome I got mine on the 4th week after deposit.

sounds awsome buddy.. the W800 sounds a bit more open and maybe a tad bit looser as well. Both sound great regardless. Looking forward to plugging into them soon. 🤘

Just did a real quick clip with the MC1 first and the W800 second. Just used my Les Paul with Marshallhead pick ups straight in with a v30 PRS cab and sm57

That clip sounds killer. I have one of the early W800s. Can you share the amp settings you used for this clip?

That clip sounds killer. I have one of the early W800s. Can you share the amp settings you used for this clip?
Thanks.

Treble is pulled for the British voicing. No boost and contour maxed.
Count our - 10
Presence - 4.2
Bass - 7
M - 6.9
T - 6.9
M- 2.2
G - 7.5

Photo below.

Attachments

• 74E1331A-FFF2-4CA9-ABF4-238C8810ECAA.jpeg
    74E1331A-FFF2-4CA9-ABF4-238C8810ECAA.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 64
Thanks.

Treble is pulled for the British voicing. No boost and contour maxed.
Count our - 10
Presence - 4.2
Bass - 7
M - 6.9
T - 6.9
M- 2.2
G - 7.5

Photo below.
Thanks for the response!

My amp sounds very different at these settings. I am using a 4x12 loaded with UK Celestion g12H 55hz speakers..

My amp is one of the 1st production units. There may have been changes made to the amp voicing since I bought mine. My head has a "brash" sounding upper mid thing going on that I just can't seem to eq out with the TMB, contour or presence.

I am also using a Les Paul with relatively mild output pickups..bridge PU is right around 9kohm dcr. I have also tried several other LesPauls and PU combinations.

I have another 4x12 cab loaded with g12M greenbacks I'm going to try

Last edited:
Thanks for the response!

My amp sounds very different at these settings. I am using a 4x12 loaded with UK Celestion g12H 55hz speakers..

My amp is one of the 1st production units. There may have been changes made to the amp voicing since I bought mine. My head has a "brash" sounding upper mid thing going on that I just can't seem to eq out with the TMB, contour or presence.

I am also using a Les Paul with relatively mild output pickups..bridge PU is right around 9kohm dcr. I have also tried several other LesPauls and PU combinations.

I have another 4x12 cab loaded with g12M greenbacks I'm going to try
I have a g12h cab that seems to attenuate that brash mid thing you’re talking about. When I play it at volume through my EVH cab with stock EVH g12m it calms that down considerably. The clip I did I recorded it with a single 57 though a v30 cab. Honestly though playing at volume mellows out the amp.

I was also using a Les Paul at the time with medium out put Marshall head pickups about 9 ohms. Recently I switched back to higher output pick ups again JB’s and Rebel Yells and with the added output it smooths out the amps quite a bit. I like the brashness personally so I compisate with lowering the gain to bring in that brashness back.

I have a g12h cab that seems to attenuate that brash mid thing you’re talking about. When I play it at volume through my EVH cab with stock EVH g12m it calms that down considerably. The clip I did I recorded it with a single 57 though a v30 cab. Honestly though playing at volume mellows out the amp.

I was also using a Les Paul at the time with medium out put Marshall head pickups about 9 ohms. Recently I switched back to higher output pick ups again JB’s and Rebel Yells and with the added output it smooths out the amps quite a bit. I like the brashness personally so I compisate with lowering the gain to bring in that brashness back.
So last night I plugged into the low input on the amp and dimed the gain. With gain dimed it's slightly broken up. Interestingly, the overall tone of the amp is much fatter. I use a Wizard Leopard boost to hit the front end for more gain. It's a completely different animal. Gets me much closer to what I want.

I do notice on the high input, once I get above about 2.5 on the master, the amp fills out much more..lower mids start pumping through. I have a Scumback attenuator I'm going to try so I can get the master volume up into the sweet spot.

I'm also going to bring my G12M cabinet home from the band rehearsal space tomorrow and give it a shot.

So last night I plugged into the low input on the amp and dimed the gain. With gain dimed it's slightly broken up. Interestingly, the overall tone of the amp is much fatter. I use a Wizard Leopard boost to hit the front end for more gain. It's a completely different animal. Gets me much closer to what I want.

I do notice on the high input, once I get above about 2.5 on the master, the amp fills out much more..lower mids start pumping through. I have a Scumback attenuator I'm going to try so I can get the master volume up into the sweet spot.

I'm also going to bring my G12M cabinet home from the band rehearsal space tomorrow and give it a shot.
I am curious about that boost, is it essentially a fancy sd-1 ? Or is it uniquely different?

The fatter mid thing sounds more like the modern classic. It’s not low mids just comes off as wider. The w800 to me sounds more like the strident mids in a Marshall 800.

With the g12m to my ears it definitely softens up some of that strident mid thing. Comes off a cutting crunchy tone.

I am curious about that boost, is it essentially a fancy sd-1 ? Or is it uniquely

The fatter mid thing sounds more like the modern classic. It’s not low mids just comes off as wider. The w800 to me sounds more like the strident mids in a Marshall 800.

With the g12m to my ears it definitely softens up some of that strident mid thing. Comes off a cutting crunchy tone.
So I tried the attenuator last night at -9db of attenuation. I had the master volume at about 12 o'clock which is a good stage volume for me. The lower mids definitely seem to fill in more with the master up.

It was raining here last night so I didn't feel like taking my G12M cab home.

It sounds vicious running the master up that high with the attenuator. Without it, I was running the master at about 2.5 max...which is pretty loud...lol

Last edited:
So I tried the attenuator last night at -9db of attenuation. I had the master volume at about 12 o'clock which is a good stage volume for me. The lower mids definitely seem to fill in more with the master up.

It was raining here last night so I feel like taking my G12M cab home.

It sounds vicious running the master up that high with the attenuator. Without it, I was running the master at about 2.5 max...which is pretty loud...lol

I am curious about that boost, is it essentially a fancy sd-1 ? Or is it uniquely different?
So the Wizard Leopard is more of a clean boost. It does have tone and gain controls. The gain can add some grit.

It works very well with the W800.

I just bought the Waza Craft SD-1...which I love with the W800. I use the Wizard boost to hit the front end for rhythms...the SD-1 for more saturation for solos.

The SD-1 imparts a mid boost that the Leopard doesn't

Yeah, thanks, so it seems transparently adding a touch more of everything.

Sd 1 is more bass tightening and more gain boost, but adds mid presence too, which seems to just work magic for Marshall mid centered amps

Yeah, thanks, so it seems transparently adding a touch more of everything.

Sd 1 is more bass tightening and more gain boost, but adds mid presence too, which seems to just work magic for Marshall mid centered amps
Exactly. Although the W800 is not loose in the bottom end by any means....but the SD-1 works very well

So what is the overall census on this thing then by owners/ people that have tried it? Is it better than a MC II ? Or is it just its own thing and literally a jcm 800 that costs 3 x the amount of a real one?

Got my both new W800 50w and new MC2 50w over the last few days. Ordered both on 2/17 so less than a month for both to my doo…. Which included a week in shipping. Not bad for a custom built to Oder, hand wired amp!

it’s a little more than than just an expensive JCM 800, but it’s in the Marshall lane while the MC2 is a little different. I’d say go with the 800 if you want more raw, grinding mids. The MC2 does it to, but not quite like the 800. The MC2 has more gain and a little thicker in the mids. The treble pull, which is an added feature on the mk2 MC2 gets more of that rawness in the high end that the w800 has. I think I could get buy with just the MC2 mk2 and cover close enough to what I like about the 800, but they are still differen. I could see someone preferring one over the other.

3NOqFYR.jpg
KVbWCo7.jpg

Great clips. I was on the fence about getting an MC2 vs. a W800. Landed with the MC2 (got rid of my MTL in the process). Sounds like they cover a lot of the same ground to my dumb ears. Both exemplify the Wizard tone, though, IMO.

Back