What guitar solo are you working on right this second?

The only real solo I'm working on now is Rush's The Body Electric. But I'm also working on the other guitar parts for Steely Dan's Peg, and that's a full plate.

Alright fellow string slingin' guitar wankers....what is the solo you guys are currently working on to improve your chops?

I have a round of solos I am currently working on to cover different styles, scales used, techniques, etc...but currently, right this second, I'm working on Egypt by Mercyful Fate. Let's hear em boys (and girls).

Mercyful Fate had some killer fucking solos.

"A dangerous meeting" and "gypsy" are two Ive learned recently.

Alright fellow string slingin' guitar wankers....what is the solo you guys are currently working on to improve your chops?

I have a round of solos I am currently working on to cover different styles, scales used, techniques, etc...but currently, right this second, I'm working on Egypt by Mercyful Fate. Let's hear em boys (and girls).
Well I'll be damned, i am working on that particular song myself!!!!!! Is it ever a fun song to play or what??? Love the scales used in this.

Also working on Kutulu. That is another fun one to play. Having a really hard time with the last riff near the end, the one in A, and the random notes of the last section. Gotta memorise that!!!! Damn that is hard .

learning the Rebel Yell intro .. the hybrid picking in 8th notes is messing with me a little and the little stretch while holding down the high pedalled notes is hurting my hand hahahaha

Yngwie's Magic Mirror and Extreme's Get the Funk Out. Both 95% ready but still cannot play them 9 out of 10 times without any hiccups. Starting to be on good side at least! 🥳

At this second I'm not working on any solo as I'm typing a response on this topic :LOL:

Seriously though, not really working on any solos. I don't venture in that realm often. My style has always focused on rhythm patterns and harmonies a-la James Hetfield influences. Mostly working on my own stuff, but picking back up on Metallica: Seek & Destroy, Mercyful Fate: Evil & Megadeth: A Secret Place to use as warmups.

Helloween - Future World (the pace is quite daunting at times)
Adrian Smith's lead in "The Wickerman" (Maiden)
Adrian Smith's twin and lead in "Back in the Village" (Maiden).

Yes, I'm the Adrian in a Maiden tribute. :rock:

Last edited:
Yngwie’s “You don’t remember, I’ll never forget”. It’s not that hard, but there are a few parts that aren’t very fluid, so I’m working on it. Maybe I’ll post a video of it.

I was watching some videos of him playing it…. He has played it differently through the years.

Da fuq you talkin' bout Willis??? That IS FUCKING HARD lol :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

learning the Rebel Yell intro .. the hybrid picking in 8th notes is messing with me a little and the little stretch while holding down the high pedalled notes is hurting my hand hahahaha

The first one in the intro isn't too bad, but timing the next one before the solo and then the very end of the song is tricky. And burning two fingers while cooking yesterday doesn't make it any easier.

Yngwie's Magic Mirror and Extreme's Get the Funk Out. Both 95% ready but still cannot play them 9 out of 10 times without any hiccups. Starting to be on good side at least! 🥳
I dunno your skill level, but you have picked 2 quite talented guitarists to emulate. Good luck in your endeavor, sir lol

Helloween - Future World (the pace is quite daunting at times)
Adrian Smith's lead in "The Wickerman" (Maiden)
Adrian Smith's twin and lead in "Back in the Village" (Maiden).

Yes, I'm the Adrian in a Maiden tribute. :rock:

Future world is really deceptively difficult

That rhythm part is really awkward

As a matter of fact, almost all helloween is more difficult than it sounds - try the solo to "where the rain grows" 😩

I like the whole Helloween album the 7 rings or whatever it's called. The one with Sole Survivor on it. Halloween kicks ass.
Master of the Rings.

't was my first Helloween album; introduced to it by an older brother of a friend in '94, when I was just headbanging to Metallica, Venom, Sepultura, Slayer and Panic (Epidemic, great album!).
That lo-fi drum intro of "Why?" always sounded awesome when the full mix blasts in. And then I got the 'Live in UK' tape and much preferred Kiske over Deris as one does. :sneaky:

Master of the Rings.

't was my first Helloween album; introduced to it by an older brother of a friend in '94, when I was just headbanging to Metallica, Venom, Sepultura, Slayer and Panic (Epidemic, great album!).
That lo-fi drum intro of "Why?" always sounded awesome when the full mix blasts in. And then I got the 'Live in UK' tape and much preferred Kiske over Deris as one does. :sneaky:

Kiske is legendary, best in class metal singer, but I love deris era helloween too.

Time of the Oath, Better than Raw, Dark Ride, and the aforementioned Master of the Rings are a string of classic albums

Obviously nothing can really compare to Kiske era helloween, but it's like getting a new, second great band 🤷

Gamma Ray, Stratovarius, Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, all also had a string of fantastic albums in the late 90s like that

Time of the Oath, Better than Raw, Dark Ride, and the aforementioned Master of the Rings are a string of classic albums
Fo' sho! I liked Deris' sound in its own right. And Better than Raw brings back some awesome memories, being at Dynamo '98 Festival.
Saw Iced Earth there too in the marquee (while Pantera was playing main stage...apparently annoyingly drunk, as some friends went there and told me afterwards). Oh, and Death! Chuck in bleached high waisted mom jeans and a black t-shirt, IIRC. Steve Jobs' clothing choices aside, that was one hell of a show. :p

Back