Tim Henson of Polyphia: Redefining guitar

I just read a few things about it, apprently he has a child on the autisim spectrum & was concerned she would not be able to see/read other peoples emotions. His Big Mistake was Bringing a gun on school grounds during a time when school shootings are on the rise. when they asked for his CCP he said it was under his seat.
Forgot the detail, but that sounds about like what I remember.

He talked about it a lot on his channel, and he got a bunch of $$ from a GoFundMe page he set up to cover his legal fees.

I do not need guitar redefined
Nobody really ever did. But then Les Paul redefined it anyway. Let the knuckledraggers cling to the old but music will continue to evolve (or devolve depending…just not remain static). And there’s a list of others including Jimi, EVH, Yngwie, etc that redefined it again and again and again. I remember the early EVH and Yngwie days…plenty of knuckle dragging haters back then. But they were old then so they’re prob dead now. Replaced by the knuckledraggers itt. :ROFLMAO:

Nobody really ever did. But then Les Paul redefined it anyway. Let the knuckledraggers cling to the old but music will continue to evolve (or devolve depending…just not remain static). And there’s a list of others including Jimi, EVH, Yngwie, etc that redefined it again and again and again. I remember the early EVH and Yngwie days…plenty of knuckle dragging haters back then. But they were old then so they’re prob dead now. Replaced by the knuckledraggers itt. :ROFLMAO:
You're the third guy now to single out that particular post, making the same basic point as the other two (I was one). That guy just doesn't get it lol

I prefer Jim Henson, the original master of puppets.

Jim-Henson-Kermit-the-Frog-1988.jpg

You're the third guy now to single out that particular post, making the same basic point as the other two (I was one). That guy just doesn't get it lol
Yeah I’ve only read a tiny bit of this thread. I’m another in the “mostly doesn’t work for me but he’s a young dude that’s breaking new ground so props to him” camp and I admit his look is…different. So this thread isn’t really for me.

But when I was young my long hair was a look that old farts didn’t like and those same old farts were very closed-minded regarding anything new. I remember NEVER wanting to become that old turd. Many people itt have become that old turd.

Last edited:
Yeah I’ve only read a tiny bit of this thread. I’m another in the “mostly doesn’t work for me but he’s a young dude that’s breaking new ground so props to him” camp and I admit his look is…different. So this thread isn’t really for me.

But when I was young my long hair was a look that old farts didn’t like and those same old farts were very closed-minded regarding anything new. I remember NEVER wanting to become that old turd. Many people itt have become that old turd.
OR could it be that the old farts were right all along?

This is an example of getting to a point where what you're playing doesn't sound like a guitar anymore .
Agreed,but that's why I'm interested in it.
Kinda started with Tom Morello for me.
I'd never play that type of stuff,but taking guitar to a different level is fascinating.
It's the same reason I read all types of books. I'm interested in different writing styles.
And I love seeing things being reinvented and taken to another level.
But I do understand being closed minded on things. I'm not interested one bit in the "clopper" scene. It creeps me out.

Breaking new ground… hardly…

Jupiter-jupiter-band-35263780-524-399.jpg

jupiter.jpg

091027_vrock5.jpg

Japanese visual kei bands… Versailles, Jupiter, GazettE and many others have been doing the fruity-shred thing for awhile and sell more tickets, more albums, and make more money. So nothing new. And some of those boys (yes… those are all boys in those videos) can not only out play Tim… but are way fancier dressers. Maybe he can get some guitar lessons and make-up tips from them?

seinfeld-not-that-theres-anything-wrong-with-that.gif

Last edited:
I hear ya bro'. Visual Kei can be found in rock, pop and metal categories in Japan and practically all the VK musicians are super-talented.

You mentioned Galneryus. It's a power metal band with a strong neo-classical metal influence. Not visual kei. I love their stuff BTW.

One of my faves from 10 years ago. Absolutely-epic and I'll bet most here would really appreciate this:

You see Brad the Guitaroligst Friday ? He went off on how much he hates polyphia and they suck .he probably got more views because of it . I love the guitars of polyphia so I’m just telling you about this . So it does seem like serious business to rag on them

Brad fucking shreds.

Breaking new ground… hardly…

Jupiter-jupiter-band-35263780-524-399.jpg

jupiter.jpg

091027_vrock5.jpg

Japanese visual kei bands… Versailles, Jupiter, Galneryus and many others have been doing the fruity-shred thing for awhile and sell more tickets, more albums, and make more money. So nothing new. And some of those boys (yes… those are all boys in those videos) can not only out play Tim… but are way fancier dressers. Maybe he can get some guitar lessons and make-up tips from them?

seinfeld-not-that-theres-anything-wrong-with-that.gif

Yeah but he's totally breaking new ground

...because no one has ever been super technically proficient but dogshit at writing music before, while looking like he works at femboy hooters

and golly, that's really impressive to the boomers here who want to sound like they're open minded about music because they like bad music and because it's spoonfed to them by the YouTube algorithm

Yeah but he's totally breaking new ground

...because no one has ever been super technically proficient but dogshit at writing music before, while looking like he works at femboy hooters

and golly, that's really impressive to the boomers here who want to sound like they're open minded about music because they like bad music and because it's spoonfed to them by the YouTube algorithm

This, this, and this +100. :yes::yes::yes::yes:

I think this thread should be re-named...

"I found some scenster-fem-boi on YT that plays guitar... and I think I like him".

So many men are coming out of the closet in this thread... feels like reddit r/out-and-proud sub in here...

giphy.gif

Back