Incoming NGD: 1980 LP Custom Silverburst

That VH4 looks familiar (still got it) I remember when you sent me a picture of the Les Paul on the right it made me gas for one like it. I should've bought one back then. Congrats on getting a killer new one!!!

Is that the chainsaw case? Mine was in an Epiphone case (not that bad!) but I recently picked up a used chainsaw that is almost perfect. Metal latches and blue interior.
No. That’s a $350 SKB flight case. The original case has a faux skin covering and is overall thin/flimsy with bright red interior.

Congrats! Looks killer.

Always wondered why you sold the one you had?
Then again, I can ask myself the same question on a few pieces of gear….😖

I sold the THREE I had because I'm stupid lol. I guess I was just bored. I went from LP Customs to Mayones Duvells. I should have kept one of the Silverbursts. I still like my Duvells, but sold two of them and now I'll have one Duvell MBC and one Silverburst. I wish I could get back one of the '84s I had. They were literally in perfect condition. No checking. No dents. No scratches. The one that's on its way to me now is in good condition, but it does have a lot of wear and tear that you can't see in the photos.

ddu8a3q-79b551c6-3ecb-4784-ad70-65a48ada75af.jpg

db7fydd-3cddd2f7-01fa-4229-a0c1-35a89a8fc91e.jpg

That VH4 looks familiar (still got it) I remember when you sent me a picture of the Les Paul on the right it made me gas for one like it. I should've bought one back then. Congrats on getting a killer new one!!!

That VH4 is special. Don't ever sell it. It used to belong to the previous owner of the USA Diezel distributor back in like... 2009. He went bankrupt or something and sold his entire Diezel collection to a GC in Atlanta, where I found it. I compared it to a few other VH4s and it sounds a little better for some reason.

I’ve love Silverburts ever since I saw a picture with Peter Klett of Candlebox with one in a guitar mag

You know you would think since everybody and their brother uses the Norlin LP Customs with the maple necks they would make a Custom with the maple neck... but nope.

You know you would think since everybody and their brother uses the Norlin LP Customs with the maple necks they would make a Custom with the maple neck... but nope.

I forgot... once they got rid of the volute, they also went back to mahogany right? Or were there mahogany ones with volutes as well?

Last edited:
I forgot... once they got rid of the volute, they also went back to mahogany right? Or were there mahogany ones with volutes as well?

I think they flipped both at the same time. What's really weird is the Adam Jones standard they just came out with has the volute and an ebony board... but not the maple neck.

They started 9 hole chambering in 83. Norlin era goes through 86. 84 was a transitional year from the Kalamazoo MI to Chattanooga TN location. I bought my 85 because they brought experienced luthiers to TN to continue production and retrained locally. Norlin maple necks are late 74 through mid 1980. Mid 74 through early 80’s also saw pancake bodies with a maple slab between the Mahogany body and the maple top. QC was all over the place so some LPCs came with 1, 2, or 3 piece maple tops. 3 piece are considered B stock, 2 are normal, 1 piece are rare but exist. I own two 76’s and one 85. The reason I own the 76’s is for their maple necks with volutes. My 85 is mahogany neck and no volute.

This isn’t finalized anywhere and exceptions always exist. This is more a rule of thumb I follow from my own knowledge.

Norlin era are some fucked up guitars. One of mine had an E string as ground. Another had defective wiring of the pickup selector. Another came specially with JB/59 from the factory direct which you could do if you ordered from Gibson through a dealer. Many of mine had shoddy fretboard work and one I had a poorly matched 12th fret mother of pearl inlay replaced. They’re great baseline guitars but you need a solid luthier to go through them to bring them up to their true value.

Last edited:
I actually had three of these in the past. A '79, and two '84s. I let them all go years ago and I regret it. They were freakin' immaculate too. The '79 was still silver and the '84s were yellow/green juuuuust slightly. Enough to have a nice patina, but still not gross looking. And they had no damage. All super clean. I started looking for another one recently and discovered prices are now utterly insane. This is one of the cleaner ones I've found that wasn't priced at like $12,000 - $16,000 (omg that blows my mind). It's more green/yellow than my previous ones, but it still looks pretty good. Should be here in a few days.

dfmd54o-b291ac39-6434-49fd-bc97-b7bb29a0fd8a.jpg

dfmd549-06bbcab8-66fe-44bb-afed-a2eab0ee2e96.jpg

dfmd54e-e8806567-c254-41c2-a173-d0f507dcef1f.jpg

dfmd53u-480c273f-e083-4b5e-96ab-4eff4707cfe8.jpg

dfmd54l-e65710dc-4895-4f04-9623-f7038dd2ef52.jpg
Nice man!! That’s a beauty. The prices on some gear now I’ve seen recently is actually offensive to me. Greed knows no bounds.

I almost grabbed an 81 the other day but the work required would have been extensive to get it up and running. It was a cool sunburst.

They started 9 hole chambering in 83. Norlin era goes through 86. 84 was a transitional year from the Kalamazoo MI to Chattanooga TN location. I bought my 85 because they brought experienced luthiers to TN to continue production and retrained locally. Norlin maple necks are late 74 through mid 1980. Mid 74 through early 80’s also saw pancake bodies with a maple slab between the Mahogany body and the maple top. QC was all over the place so some LPCs came with 1, 2, or 3 piece maple tops. 3 piece are considered B stock, 2 are normal, 1 piece are rare but exist. I own two 76’s and one 85. The reason I own the 76’s is for their maple necks with volutes. My 85 is mahogany neck and no volute.

This isn’t finalized anywhere and exceptions always exist. This is more a rule of thumb I follow from my own knowledge.

Norlin era are some fucked up guitars. One of mine had an E string as ground. Another had defective wiring of the pickup selector. Another came specially with JB/59 from the factory direct which you could do if you ordered from Gibson through a dealer. Many of mine had shoddy fretboard work and one I had a poorly matched 12th fret mother of pearl inlay replaced. They’re great baseline guitars but you need a solid luthier to go through them to bring them up to their true value.

My '79 and one of my '84s had one-piece tops. My '79 and both '84s I had were solid mahogany bodies. This new one coming, an '80, looks to have a 3-piece top. I can see the joint lines in the photos. Don't know if it has pancake body or not.

Help! An 86 that looks like new or greenier 70’s one? :)

View attachment 154495View attachment 154498

I would get more photos of that second one. '86? I don't think I've ever seen a silverburst after '84 or maybe '85. But if it's legit, I would get that one for sure. A couple of things seem odd about it to me. The control knob placements are a bit off and the top is carved way too much. Get photos of the back, headstock, pickup cavities, and control cavity. If it's real, it's gotta be the cleanest Silverburst I've ever seen. Even cleaner than the '79 I had. If you don't buy it, tell me who's selling it

Last edited:
I would get more photos of that second one. '86? I don't think I've ever seen a silverburst after '84 or maybe '85. But if it's legit, I would get that one for sure. A couple of things seem odd about it to me. The control knob placements are a bit off and the top is carved way too much. Get photos of the back, headstock, pickup cavities, and control cavity. If it's real, it's gotta be the cleanest Silverburst I've ever seen. Even cleaner than the '79 I had. If you don't buy it, tell me who's selling it
I’ll get more pictures :) both are 2600 usd

Back