Pickup magnet madness

Yes it’s possible to degauss a magnet using another magnet. You’re reducing the magnetic polarization by scattering the spins some ferritic iron impurities so that they no longer align. The only way to gauss a magnet again is to introduce one side of the magnet into a gaussing machine to re-polarize the magnet.

Basically once you do what the topic says the only way to change it back is to remove the magnet from the pickup and gauss it again. So I strongly recommend someone not rub two magnets over one another many many times if you don’t want a useless piece of scrap.

Paging @scottosan !

Is this thread full of bullshit or full of truth or both and can you break it down for the rest of us?

Cliffs: passing a neo magnet over an assembled (even installed) humbucker degausses the magnet and changes the tone.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/degaussing-a-pickup-in-real-time.2429233/
So many ways to go in this. First, neodymium is way too strong to try and do this with any accuracy. It's great for full charging a magnet. I charge my own magnets this way. But there's no nuance to the process. You can actually reverse the polarity this way.

As for changing tone, not in the sense of voicing. The affect it has on your overall sound can be dramatic Enough that I wouldn't correct someone for claiming it changes their tone You're just changing the output of them pickup. It has no affect on the resonant frequency of the pickup.

The reason various magnet types sound tonally differently aside from output, is the inductive properties of the alloys. Basically more iron and nickel, the higher the inductance. Ceramic basically has no affect on increasing inductance in pickup. An ALNICO 2 for example is more inductive than ALNICO 5. It raised the inductance and lowers the resonant peak and fells more saturated and soft than A5 as a result. Ceramic keeps the inductance low and increases the resonant peaks contributing to the brightness. The resonant peaks and frequency is derived from inductance and capacitance. The q factor is derived from resonant peaks, inductance, and impedance/resistance. Changing the magnet strength cant change those parameters, it can only change the transductive efficiency of the pickup. Regardless of what Glenn Fricker says, a pickup is inductor and a transducer. An inductor on its own can't work as a pickup. It needs a magnet.

The ALNICO magnets come oriented and u oriented. Generally the stronger magnets are oriented. What this meant is that it can be charged in a specific direction. I'm the case of pickups, along the longest thin edges of the magnet that butt up against the pole pieces. A2 is unoriented and can be charged on any side. For single coils it the flat part of the poles.

I think this method is safest on single coils. For humbuckers, holding it over the the pole pieces will have a different affect depending if it's oriented or unoriented. On unoriented, you could really screw things up because your holding a strong magnet at a 90 degree axis it's original charge. You could make the top flat part a pole and loose the string filed butting up to the pole pieces.

Yes it’s possible to degauss a magnet using another magnet. You’re reducing the magnetic polarization by scattering the spins some ferritic iron impurities so that they no longer align. The only way to gauss a magnet again is to introduce one side of the magnet into a gaussing machine to re-polarize the magnet.

Basically once you do what the topic says the only way to change it back is to remove the magnet from the pickup and gauss it again. So I strongly recommend someone not rub two magnets over one another many many times if you don’t want a useless piece of scrap.
You can safely use 2 magnets of the same type with poles pushing away. This is how P90s and the dirty fingers are designed. If also done this with an ALNICO 8 and ceramic and don't really lose much gauss. They are similar in gauss strength.

The only way to gauss a magnet again is to introduce one side of the magnet into a gaussing machine to re-polarize the magnet.
In that thread at least one person (and perhaps the Zhangbucker builder too) said if you pass the neo mag with opposite polarity it degausses but then just flipping it to same polarity gausses it right back up again. So you're saying this is not the case?

Last edited:
Thanks @scottosan. I have a neo bar magnet that's about the same length as humbucker bar magnets and of course its super strong but I've never really messed with it for anything like this. I mentioned to you in PM a while back that I got some really strong rough cast A2 mags from ebay and was thinking of experimenting but if this neo is more likely to just ruin it I won't do that. The one I used at full strength replaced an A5 in a Suhr SSV that had really, really weak pull and I thought improved it.

In that thread at least one person (and perhaps the Zhangbucker builder too) said if you pass the neo mag with opposite polarity degausses but then just flipping it to same polarity gausses it right back up again. So you're saying this is not the case?
Single coils yes because the magnet is oriented vertically. For an unoriented bar magnet, it needs to be recharged from the side, not over the top.

Thanks @scottosan. I have a neo bar magnet that's about the same length as humbucker bar magnets and of course its super strong but I've never really messed with it for anything like this. I mentioned to you in PM a while back that I got some really strong rough cast A2 mags from ebay and was thinking of experimenting but if this neo is more likely to just ruin it I won't do that. The one I used at full strength replaced an A5 in a Suhr SSV that had really, really weak pull and I thought improved it.
You're not going to ruin it not can always be recharged. It's just hard to fine time the gauss ni assume you don't have a gauss meter?

Last edited:
In that thread at least one person (and perhaps the Zhangbucker builder too) said if you pass the neo mag with opposite polarity it degausses but then just flipping it to same polarity gausses it right back up again. So you're saying this is not the case?
Correct - you need a much stronger magnetic field to polarize the whole bar from one end.

Yeah I once fucked up a tele pickup by trying to use neo magents to flip it, ended up with a dead magnet. Tried to “recharge” it according the how to builder told me but gave up and just bought another lol. But yeah you can zap the soul straight out of a pickup

Well at least I found a way to experiment with a pickup I don’t like and am willing to sacrifice. I might save a pickup…or put it out of its misery.

Yeah I once fucked up a tele pickup by trying to use neo magents to flip it, ended up with a dead magnet. Tried to “recharge” it according the how to builder told me but gave up and just bought another lol. But yeah you can zap the soul straight out of a pickup
Do you still have the pickup?

Scottosan has been at this shit for decades..
I remember PM'ing him on HCAF in the mid 2000's asking how the read an amp schematic.. I was totally green..

Back