What’s your threshold?

I don't think anyone knows what a Larry is, so you don't have to worry about your amp getting stolen.

guitar players in the other bands pretty frequently do - thankfully, no one asks to use my rig ever

but not randoms, audience, or staff generally

Depends on the year it was purchased,? a prs McCarty seems to be 4k and over used and or new. So if you paid 2k for a 10 top you'd gig it but if over or 4k you don't gig it? I understand the concern with cost involved, bit it's the same fn guitar. Sad times , as used prs are 3k , had a used PS I had north ok 5k in. I wouldn't gig it because of the ding it may acquire, not for the cost/threshold. Interesting when the eyes lure the wallet to a guitar when it should the ears. Makes one wonder if I am labeled a closet guitarist , that's fucked up lol

I pretty much gig with whatever, but there are a few I won’t or won’t very often. My normal cover gig would be taking my 2 Anderson Cobras and my Wizard head/cab. Lot of money there, but they are what I used and liked. My #1 Cobra is pretty beat up now…it has seen alot of gig time since 96.
The stuff that is hard to replace typically stays home. Not necessarily are they expensive, just would be difficult to find to replace…

For guitars I’ll gig the newer non-vintage and I’ll band practice with the vintage or non-vintage.

For amps I’ll gig anything vintage or not.

My general limit is $2,500.00 but if I can lift it without anybody noticing it can be stretched to 500K or more.

For me it’s more of a sentimental thing than price alone. And my big concern would be theft, which can be mitigated by using trackers, keeping an eye on my stuff, and carrying a big stick. As much as damage sucks it’s a part of life for everything.

The most I ever spent on a guitar in my life was $1,600.00 on a legit San Dimas Jackson Soloist that I ordered from the custom shop in 1987. Frost White with Platinum Pearl. FOOLISHLY sold it when I landed my first pro, full-time road gig. I used the proceeds to build a pair of Warmoth ‘Beater-Casters’ cause I couldn’t stand the thought of pounding the shit out of the still pristine Jackson. I now am SO comfortable with my slap together spare parts casters, that I currently own 14. Don’t have more than a grand in any of them. Maybe $800.00 a piece on average.

I will add that I will never EVER buy a guitar that I wouldn't play. To me they are not and never will be decorations. But I've had someone fall into the mic stand in front of me which launched a mic into my guitar putting a pretty nasty gash in it. That was what changed my opinion on what sees a gig.

Band practice or recording I want to use my higher end stuff but not to play in front of 30-100 people for a few bucks or free beer.

Comfortable? Well, sheeeeit, I would feel more uncomfortable if I cacked tomorrow and didn't get a chance to play the guitars I have at gigs...so that said, I'm fortunately still busy and booked out nearly every weekend through May at this point so I'll continue to bring my Hamer Korina Vector and either the Korina Special and a CS Les Paul and the Wizard with zero hesitation. Its not coming with me when I exit this place, may as well enjoy the fuckoutta it.

I play out with my nice custom guitars but, ugh, I hate worrying about it being stolen, lookin over my shoulder at the back line while using drink tickets at the bar, expecting some ninja to make a move while I’m loading out cabs. I’ve seriously been contemplating locking it in its case and chaining the case handle to a 4x12 cab handle.

Comfortable? Well, sheeeeit, I would feel more uncomfortable if I cacked tomorrow and didn't get a chance to play the guitars I have at gigs...so that said, I'm fortunately still busy and booked out nearly every weekend through May at this point so I'll continue to bring my Hamer Korina Vector and either the Korina Special and a CS Les Paul and the Wizard with zero hesitation. Its not coming with me when I exit this place, may as well enjoy the fuckoutta it.
I think the point myself and others are making is that If it’s stolen, you’ll neither take it with you to your grave nor home with you ever again either.

No threshold.I take anything I own to gigs session's, campfire cookouts,fairs,festivals, arenas,watering hole around the corner,you name it. Whether it's a masterbuilt built strat or cs jackson or charvel,or a Taylor 914,mkiic+,colis,66' Princetons,Bradshaw racks,rockman full stacks,and on and on.
40+ yrs into this g.a.s. rabbit hole and still saving up hard earned pennies & buying 2500-4k guitars and amps,but im not a collector.I buy to play the equipment. Having said that,I take extremely good care of it.everything gets well maintained and serviced to keep its like new condition no matter how much it gets played.

Approximately $2500 USD. No non-vintage electric guitar is worth more than that, in most cases IMO.
I actually brought my 939 to a couple of gigs.
I always “Procured” the stage with “stage art”,
-which is similiar to garden art & statuaries,
so I encaved the amp in groovy protection.
The issue was lack of versatility,
-Not that it was high dollar merchandise,
The audience didn’t come to listen to what we crave about the shotgun /gatlin gun bottom end that only one song needs the entire evening…
Believe me, I wish I had a flamethrower to ward off them barfly zombies at 2:30am…
Cuz nobody’s ugly after 2am.
Not even YOU.

Years ago I took my vintage 1969 Stratocaster to hundreds of gigs. At the peak around 2007 it was worth about $22,000. Currently down a few thousand from that.

I don't think any of my other current guitars are worth much more than $2000.
20230109_164304_HDR.jpg

Currently has a EMG DG in it. I have the original pickups, etc and going to put it back to stock. I bought this one in 1978. Used it for gigs since then till about 2009.

Last edited:
I don’t think about price. I focus on managing my equipment at a show so none of it walks off or gets damaged.
That is what I'm saying. I'd love to play my best gear out but I'm more worried about someone stealing it versus it getting dinged up. That adds character.

That is what I'm saying. I'd love to play my best gear out but I'm more worried about someone stealing it versus it getting dinged up. That adds character.
All of my stuff has handles (guitar cases, amp head, speaker cab) pedalboard case). Run a bike lock cable through all the handles when the stuff is in a pile on the side of the stage before and after using it.

Back