Are 79' SGs a good investment??? Should i get one?

I did end up swapping out the bridge pup in mine though
GC had it in a box, I declined waiting for the unpacking. Will def keep my eyes open for it. If it's anything like mine, it will be great!
FWIW, a motor city Detroiter sounds so good in mine, I won't take it out. It's perfection after much trial and error.

What did you replace and what with?
I've never left a stock bridge pup in a Gibson, except the Slash. Not even the Custom Buckers in an R8 that folks rave about.
Currently waffling about the T-Type in the ES-335. I'm going to have a freed up set of Godwoods that I know has to be better.
But that pup swap is a chore.
That same store I saw the SG, same guy was selling an ES-335 from the 70s as well. Had a 74' Les Paul Standard and a bunch of 70s teles and strats.

I have a 71 Flying V and a 74 LPC .... Unbelievable guitars that are as good as my Kramers, Jackson's and Fenders .
As some one stated, it's basically a guitar to guitar basis thing .
I saw a Les Paul Standard from 74' and thought about it but was $4500 or so. I need another 5150-III and some other stuff before getting something like that.

‘78 Custom was my first Gibson. Too heavy, small neck and a top end I didn’t care for tonally. Also had an early 70’s SG that was OK. Only 70’s Gibson’s I would be interested in is very early 70’s, 71, 72. Before they switched to maple necks for Les Paul’s. It’s a shame, those 71,72 deluxes, when you found the right one (not too heavy), would be so cheap and all you had to do was pop in full-size humbuckers. Being that almost any used Gibson purchase is sight unseen these days, mid to late 70’s is a hard no for me.

Last edited:
I would never buy a guitar as an investment. I would buy it if the guitar is very good and suits me. Sometimes I think "would I lose much money if I will sell it later", but never "this guitar will become quite valuable over the years"...

I would never buy a guitar as an investment. I would buy it if the guitar is very good and suits me. Sometimes I think "would I lose much money if I will sell it later", but never "this guitar will become quite valuable over the years"...
I agree but for me, if I could get an older guitar that is worth more and is historic versus buying a brand new one, kind of a cool thing. Of course I'd want to play it and not just have it hanging up on a wall, etc.

If you're a fan of the SG and are looking to own a vintage guitar, then that's a different story. One thing I will say is that it's always a good idea to talk to a financial advisor before making any big investments. They can help you assess the potential risks and rewards, and give you a better idea of whether it's a good idea for you specifically. In fact, if you're interested, I came across a really helpful website for finding financial advisors https://www.humaninvesting.com . They have a lot of great resources to help you find the right advisor for your needs.

Last edited:
I had a ‘71 SG Deluxe I picked up a few years back for $1100.

I couldn’t get along with it, and the T-Tops were too damn bright for my tastes ,

I ended up getting rid of it and don’t regret it one bit.

I’ve owned 3 different SG’s in the past 5 years, and they’re all gone.

I guess I’m just not an SG guy.

Back