Revolt guitar….if you have ‘fuzzy’ sound on channel 3 swap the tube…

Enchilada Jones

If I roll off volume pot on guitar while using channel 3 or use a low output guitar I get a fuzzy kind of distortion that becomes dominant in the amp sound, and not in a good kind of fuzz way.
so I replaced the tube in the Revolt with a Jan 5751 and not only did the fuzzy problem go away but the characteristic ‘less gain’ nature of that tube has improved everything about the Revolt for my taste anyway. And fear not, even with that ‘lower gain’ tube you can still get ridiculous excess gain from channels 2 and 3.

Channel 3, before the tube swap, even when I hit the input hard enough to avoid the fuzzy problem was too much gain and too noisy so I didn’t ever use it. Now it is excellent!
Channel 1 is basically the same as it was before just slightly lower volume but now I can raise the volume on that channel to compensate and find I don’t necessarily need the boost engaged to get a nice sound. The boost still adds some gain and accents some high mids like before but I don’t feel I have to have it on all that time just to use the channel.
Channel 2 is unchanged other than I think I raise the gain pot ever so slightly to get it to where it was before the swap.
Channel 2 was always the reason I knew I’d keep Revolt in spite of the problem fuzz on channel 3 and the Channel 1 needing the boost just to get a decent voice from it.

4 screws on the bottom, carefully flip the bottom over carefully protecting the ribbon connectors and support the small vertical board the tube socket is mounted to while replacing the tube. Takes about ten minutes.
Now my Revolt Guitar has gone from almost perfect to everything I hoped it would be.

Last edited:
If I roll off volume pot on guitar while using channel 3 or use a low output guitar I get a fuzzy kind of distortion that becomes dominant in the amp sound, and not in a good kind of fuzz way.
so I replaced the tube in the Revolt with a Jan 5751 and not only did the fuzzy problem go away but the characteristic ‘less gain’ nature of that tube has improved everything about the Revolt for my taste anyway. And fear not, even with that ‘lower gain’ tube you can still get ridiculous excess gain from channels 2 and 3.

Channel 3, before the tube swap, even when I hit the input hard enough to avoid the fuzzy problem was too much gain and too noisy so I didn’t ever use it. Now it is excellent!
Channel 1 is basically the same as it was before just slightly lower volume but now I can raise the volume on that channel to compensate and find I don’t necessarily need the boost engaged to get a nice sound. The boost still adds some gain and accents some high mids like before but I don’t feel I have to have it on all that time just to use the channel.
Channel 2 is unchanged other than I think I raise the gain pot ever so slightly to get it to where it was before the swap.
Channel 2 was always the reason I knew I’d keep Revolt in spite of the problem fuzz on channel 3 and the Channel 1 needing the boost just to get a decent voice from it.

4 screws on the bottom, carefully flip the bottom over carefully protecting the ribbon connectors and support the small vertical board the tube socket is mounted to while replacing the tube. Takes about ten minutes.
Now my Revolt Guitar has gone from almost perfect to everything I hoped it would be.
Hi Enchilada Jones,

Thanks so much for your post and appreciate the feedback! We can confirm this is the expected behaviour of the unit, however we understand that this is subjective depending on the user.

We're so happy to hear you're enjoying the unit and would love to hear what your setup sounds like with the alternative tube!

Hi Enchilada Jones,

Thanks so much for your post and appreciate the feedback! We can confirm this is the expected behaviour of the unit, however we understand that this is subjective depending on the user.

We're so happy to hear you're enjoying the unit and would love to hear what your setup sounds like with the alternative tube!
I may record some examples if I decide to explore different tubes.
When setting out to try different tubes I had my assorted collection of possible choices laid out and was going to capture a separate track recording in the DAW of each candidate so I could A/B compare thinking there may be only marginal improvement and wanted to have best chance to make a decision based on actual results instead of placebo effect.
I put the JAN 5751 tube in first because it has been the best swap in numerous amps before and, as it turned out it was so good in the ReVolt I just stopped and went back to playing and so far don’t feel much need to know what other tubes might bring to the sound.

if I only wanted the high high gain aspect of the channel 3 I wouldn’t change it out, I would employ a gate and have no need for low output guitar pickups or ‘rolling off’ guitar volume pot etc to get that kind of sound. If you keep input level boosted and gain on that channel up the fuzzy problem isn’t remarkable at all, it is as designed shaping that Soldano sound well.
I’m not a high gain player though, for me AC/DC is medium high gain, Alice In Chains and Stone Temple Pilots is high gain and I rarely go far beyond that level of saturation or distortion/overdrive so the tube swap was a welcome change. It gives me back the lower and middle gain range of the Soldano sound in ReVolt. My favorite SLO sounds are Warren Haynes not CookieMonster vocal band stuff…(no offense intended to others tastes)

Last edited:
I may record some examples if I decide to explore different tubes.
When setting out to try different tubes I had my assorted collection of possible choices laid out and was going to capture a separate track recording in the DAW of each candidate so I could A/B compare thinking there may be only marginal improvement and wanted to have best chance to make a decision based on actual results instead of placebo effect.
I put the JAN 5751 tube in first because it has been the best swap in numerous amps before and, as it turned out it was so good in the ReVolt I just stopped and went back to playing and so far don’t feel much need to know what other tubes might bring to the sound.

if I only wanted the high high gain aspect of the channel 3 I wouldn’t change it out, I would employ a gate and have no need for low output guitar pickups or ‘rolling off’ guitar volume pot etc to get that kind of sound. If you keep input level boosted and gain on that channel up the fuzzy problem isn’t remarkable at all, it is as designed shaping that Soldano sound well.
I’m not a high gain player though, for me AC/DC is medium high gain, Alice In Chains and Stone Temple Pilots is high gain and I rarely go far beyond that level of saturation or distortion/overdrive so the tube swap was a welcome change. It gives me back the lower and middle gain range of the Soldano sound in ReVolt. My favorite SLO sounds are Warren Haynes not CookieMonster vocal band stuff…(no offense intended to others tastes)

Hi Enchilada Jones,

Thanks so much for sharing and glad to hear you found the sound you were looking for! Let us know if you have any questions

Enchilada, thank you so much for your post!!!!! I have also had the exact same experience and your post is exactly why I joined. I absolutely love my Revolt, (and have had MANY compliments from other "tone-snob" guitar players) but I couldn't seem to dial in what I knew this unit could do. I have used 5751's in my Bassman and Mesa Lonestar and now have the answer I needed. I will update on what I find out.
FYI- I am running my Revolt direct into the PA or into a QSC K8 v1 for when I need an "amp" or monitor. It sounds HUGE!!!!!! even at low volumes. The 'tube amp" guys around me are loving my setup. Thank you, Two Notes!!!!!!!

Hi @Rusty VanTulsa ,

Thanks for getting in touch and we're so happy ton hear ReVolt is working out well for you! If there are any questions you have for the Two notes team, dont hesitate to reach out!

Kind regards,

Ross

I am reporting back on the tube switch. Enchilada you are awesome!!!!! The 5751 did everything as described by Enchilada. I actually like my ch1 even better. Ch 2 is pretty much the same and when pushed with a Klon circuit its great. Now for ch3, oh yes yes yes. The 5751 tamed it down and gave me some beautiful lead tones. Thank you Enchilada and thank you Two Notes

Back