Small, simple, no-frills direct rig?

rsm

Selling my second to last digital modeler (GT-1000), and keeping one (SY-1000), but I want something simple and basic...

I'm building a simple, small, no-frills direct rig with a Tech21 PSA 2.0 --> Mooer Cab X2 IR loader.

I owned a PSA 1.1 back in the day, hopefully the PSA 2.0 sounds as good as I remember.

The Cab X2 lets me use two cabinet models per preset with separate outs...need to see if I can combine them into a single out with the software.

If I need something more versatile, I can use the PSA in the loop of my HX-Effects which can also load IRs, and control the PSA presets via MIDI.

I considered the BluGuitar AMP 1, and interested in seeing the AMP X when it gets released later this year, but those are larger, more expensive options, and I don't need a pedalboard amp.

What else is out there / what are you using, besides digital modelers?

I’ve just started using a Suhr Corso, using its line out into a cab m+. It’s a great little amp, gives all the tube goodness you need. It’s a great clean platform but also pushing The amp to break up and flick8ng the higher gain setting gives a great classic rock tone, boost it with a clean boost and gets pretty heavy. i Don’t think they make them anymore but I’m sure you can find them used for not much more than a dedicated modeller.

Reactions: rsm
I think the BluGuitar kicks ass but if you're wanting a direct rig, it ain't gonna cut it. The direct out straight up sucks, and the unit only sounds good if there is an attached cabinet/load of some kind. I don't know what's going on in there, but without a load it's a honky mess, even though it's a solid state and usually solid states don't sound any different with or without load.

My Sansamp PSA 1.1 used to destroy at gigs back in the day. I had a guy say "man that tone was great, where is your Recto?" and I told him it was a Mosvalve MV-962 power amp with a PSA 1.1 ans he didn't believe me until I showed him.

I built a "Just-In-Case" patch on my HX effects that has a couple of od's and delays into an IR. It's very passable and with an OD in front might be my grab-and-go board for direct.

Had both the PSA 2.0 and the Prime P1 for a week. The PSA is easy to dial in, and the sansamp speaker sim sounded better to me than the Mooer Cab X2, and I didn't want to go down the rabbit hole of IRs to make it work.

Now the real surprise is the Mooer Prime P1. Much better than I expected sound wise, but no feel or feedback so it's like playing in numb isolation. I'm going into my old Roland Cube Street EX as FRFR.

That said, I'm going to build my silent rig around the P1. The Mooer F4 footswitch is very good too.

Keeping the PSA 2.0 because it's so small and sounds great: all that's missing is a DI out and headphones out so I plan to get that sorted out. Makes a good backup, need to try it in the loop of my HX Effects eventually.

Looking forward to the BluGuitar Amp-X later this year.

I use a Tech 21 Flyrig as my base tone and add a few pedals for colors. I have a Plethora X3 in front of it right now. I like amps but this set up is easy and sounds great. If I have to go direct, I use that. I find the modelers have so many options and sounds that I never use. The Flyrig just gives me a great base tone and I can add a few FX as I need. Easy as hell.

Had both the PSA 2.0 and the Prime P1 for a week. The PSA is easy to dial in, and the sansamp speaker sim sounded better to me than the Mooer Cab X2, and I didn't want to go down the rabbit hole of IRs to make it work.

Now the real surprise is the Mooer Prime P1. Much better than I expected sound wise, but no feel or feedback so it's like playing in numb isolation. I'm going into my old Roland Cube Street EX as FRFR.

That said, I'm going to build my silent rig around the P1. The Mooer F4 footswitch is very good too.

Keeping the PSA 2.0 because it's so small and sounds great: all that's missing is a DI out and headphones out so I plan to get that sorted out. Makes a good backup, need to try it in the loop of my HX Effects eventually.

Looking forward to the BluGuitar Amp-X later this year.
Di you get round to using in hxfx loop? I've just got a psa 2.0,out of curiosity more than anything. Got an ir loader on way too. I love the physical tech21 units, they're great quality. Currently running the strymon iridium in the fx loop, just looking for other options to mess round with. I like to travel light!

Di you get round to using in hxfx loop? I've just got a psa 2.0,out of curiosity more than anything. Got an ir loader on way too. I love the physical tech21 units, they're great quality. Currently running the strymon iridium in the fx loop, just looking for other options to mess round with. I like to travel light!
Not recently, I ran the PSA 2.0 in the first Send/receive in the HXFX and created a patch in the HXFX to try it (be sure to add a send/receive in your HXFX patch). Worked great

I just used the sansamp in the PSA 2.0, so no IR loader. Didn't get around to programming the MIDI in the PSA 2.0.

I have a Catalyst 100 I use 4CM with the HXFX, and I set MIDI in the HX-FX to change the amp channel when I select a different HX-FX patch; and I have a HXFX button assigned to turn the amp boost on/off. works and sounds great.

More recently, I ran the HXFX in the loop of my Mesa JP-2C, worked great; I plan to program MIDI in the HXFX to change the JP-2C channel, I already made the HXFX patches, one for each channel.

Very pleased with the HX-FX. The PSA 2.0 sounds just like I remember the PSA 1.1, without the DI and L/R out which would be great to have

1000026054.jpg

Ksr ceres controlled by boss ms3 (ms3 channel switches the 3 channels on the ksr) mini wah .... little mooer radar with my own cab IR loaded in.... have to say it fricken rocks and it's really simple.

For the size & price, this little guy has me curious. I'm not moving away from amps anytime soon, but I'd like to have something on my board that could get me through if I needed a backup, etc.

image.png

Direct into a pa? I used a line 6 hd500 floor board when I was playing for Jesus. It was great 👍. Had my shit dialed in and boom…g2g. Guitar…nady wireless….hd500….pa….

The Mooer Prime P1 I mentioned earlier in this thread is still a fav; with the wireless footswitch; has drum machine and looper is sweet; punches above its' weight for the price.

I watched a vid where a guitarist gigged it as his main rig, if you didn't know what it was, still sounded great.

Found it:

Think I paid around $150 - $170 for it and the footswitch on Amazon.

The presets are ok, but make your own and you might be surprised at how good it sounds, and responds to pick attack.

Last edited:
The Mooer Prime P1 I mentioned earlier in this thread is still a fav; with the wireless footswitch; has drum machine and looper is sweet; punches above its' weight for the price.

I watched a vid where a guitarist gigged it as his main rig, if you didn't know what it was, still sounded great.

Found it:

Think I paid around $150 - $170 for it and the footswitch on Amazon.

The presets are ok, but make your own and you might be surprised at how good it sounds, and responds to pick attack.

Yeah I thought that was pretty cool. I watched one of those YouTube guys demo. I also like their strat that has all that shit built into it. Cool little company….

Back