PRS 2023 release day

https://prsguitars.com/electrics/model/dw_ce_24_hardtail_limited_edition_2023 shows this sexy beast:

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcnNpbWFnZXMiLCJrZXkiOiJndWl0YXItaW1hZ2VzL2R3LWNlLTI0LWhhcmR0YWlsLWxpbWl0ZWQtMjAyMy1ibGFjay10b3AuanBnIiwiZWRpdHMiOnsianBlZyI6eyJxdWFsaXR5Ijo4MiwicHJvZ3Jlc3NpdmUiOnRydWUsInRyZWxsaXNRdWFudGlzYXRpb24iOnRydWUsIm92ZXJzaG9vdERlcmluZ2luZyI6dHJ1ZSwib3B0aW1pemVTY2FucyI6dHJ1ZX0sInJlc2l6ZSI6eyJ3aWR0aCI6MTkyMCwiaGVpZ2h0Ijo2NjMsImZpdCI6ImNvdmVyIn0sInNoYXJwZW4iOnRydWV9fQ==

Yummy! I need another PRS like a shotgun blast to the face, but black satin and a maple fretboard is hnnnnnnggggg to me.
I really dig the Floyd version. That satin sunburst model is sexy as hell. I looked pretty hard at them a few times...
eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcnNpbWFnZXMiLCJrZXkiOiJndWl0YXItaW1hZ2VzL2R3LWNlLTI0LWJ1cm50LWFtYmVyLXNtb2tlY...jpeg

I have been guitar shopping recently and I am thinking that I watched a review vid recently stating that the S2's have a nitro finish now? Total PRS noob so I could be making that up.

If that is the case, I could be on board for one of those. Tried a McCarty S2 at Sweetwater a week ago and it felt great but the neck was sticky. Didn't look at the year but it felt like a poly finish.

How are the SE Mark Holcomb 6 string guitars? Are they worth looking into either new or used or are there better options?
I have a 6 string Holcomb. A limited release of a satin macassar ebony top. I have several core PRS, and every one of them needed a pickup swap to work for me. Not this guitar. Just an awesome tone.
The nut/tuners may need an upgrade. I did the nut swap with a drop-in replacement which sorted that out.
The fretboard radius is very flat by the numbers, but to me feels perfectly comfortable.
The 25.5 scale is also somewhat unique to the PRS line.
This year's color (blue burst) looks awesome to me.
Worth getting your hands on one to try out.

Edit - just noticed the 2023's have a new SD pickup set, which isn't available on its own as of yet. Scarlet and Scourge. Aaaaaaand, now I'm gonna have to try those.

Last edited:
Don't quote me on this, but I believe the S2 line has better quality wood and overall better construction quality than SE, but with the same cheap hardware and electronics. I would think the S2 aesthetics are stripped down so they don't potentially overpower the Core line for sales. I like the looks of my SE245 over my S2 Singlecut, but the S2 plays and feels a fair amount better, even after upgrading parts on the SE.
I see, definitely seems it should be the case , the cost is greater so it's good to know. I'm not against over seas PRS guitars I can see the wood being not as carefully selected. The craftsmanship I've read is pretty close? From my findings the core line has gotten so much better over the years with the finish parts and neck carves. Will never understand the cost on used tho, when it's sight unseen other than photos. Some guitars just have that mojo and the exact same model with matching specs won't, pretty true with all production builds. I tried a PS for about 2 years and moved it. Was top of the heap but to damn nice for me. It's unbelievable how much effort goes into the asthetics vs even a 10 top. Makes them look like se models in comparison. Fun to try but doesn't add up.on my salary tho

I have a 6 string Holcomb. A limited release of a satin macassar ebony top. I have several core PRS, and every one of them needed a pickup swap to work for me. Not this guitar. Just an awesome tone.
The nut/tuners may need an upgrade. I did the nut swap with a drop-in replacement which sorted that out.
The fretboard radius is very flat by the numbers, but to me feels perfectly comfortable.
The 25.5 scale is also somewhat unique to the PRS line.
This year's color (blue burst) looks awesome to me.
Worth getting your hands on one to try out.

Edit - just noticed the 2023's have a new SD pickup set, which isn't available on its own as of yet. Scarlet and Scourge. Aaaaaaand, now I'm gonna have to try those.
He said these new pu's are better for modelers, which seems odd. Anyone understand the reasoning behind that?

The McCarty SE 594 Singlecut caught my attention, I just wonder how it would compare to my SE Custom 24 and having a different neck profile and pickups??

I think that I am going to give the 594 a shot once Sweetwater gets them in stock. Watched some reviews and the differences compared to the S2 appears to be very minimal.

The S2 I played felt pretty good and I can always sand the neck to get rid of the sticky feel.

He said these new pu's are better for modelers, which seems odd. Anyone understand the reasoning behind that?
He plays a Axe-Fx so maybe trying to do something different with the pickups to help with his tone. It will be interesting to see what the differences are when SD releases more info about the new pickups and compare them to the old ones.

I really like the SE 594 Standard with no maple on top, just pure stained mahogany. I love that look, $829 new is not bad. I think this model may be in my future. I have 2 drawers full of pickups so I’d most likely change those out but that seems perfect for me.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcnNpbWFnZXMiLCJrZXkiOiJndWl0YXItaW1hZ2VzL3NlLW1jY2FydHktNTk0LXNpbmdsZWN1dC1zdGFuZGFyZC0yMDIzLW1jY2FydHktdG9iYWNjby5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJqcGVnIjp7InF1YWxpdHkiOjgyLCJwcm9ncmVzc2l2ZSI6dHJ1ZSwidHJlbGxpc1F1YW50aXNhdGlvbiI6dHJ1ZSwib3ZlcnNob290RGVyaW5naW5nIjp0cnVlLCJvcHRpbWl6ZVNjYW5zIjp0cnVlfSwicmVzaXplIjp7IndpZHRoIjoxOTIwLCJoZWlnaHQiOjY2MywiZml0IjoiY292ZXIifSwic2hhcnBlbiI6dHJ1ZX19
I made a post about this a while back. I was in a music store about a year ago, and they had a PRS semi hollow. It was $999 new I think? The quality was a lot higher than I thought an SE model would have. But here is the best part, it played, felt and sounded killer!! I was so surprised. That’s how it arrived from PRS, if someone put a killer set of pickups in it and a tech did a setup on it, whoa……

I really like the SE 594 Standard with no maple on top, just pure stained mahogany. I love that look, $829 new is not bad. I think this model may be in my future. I have 2 drawers full of pickups so I’d most likely change those out but that seems perfect for me.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcnNpbWFnZXMiLCJrZXkiOiJndWl0YXItaW1hZ2VzL3NlLW1jY2FydHktNTk0LXNpbmdsZWN1dC1zdGFuZGFyZC0yMDIzLW1jY2FydHktdG9iYWNjby5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJqcGVnIjp7InF1YWxpdHkiOjgyLCJwcm9ncmVzc2l2ZSI6dHJ1ZSwidHJlbGxpc1F1YW50aXNhdGlvbiI6dHJ1ZSwib3ZlcnNob290RGVyaW5naW5nIjp0cnVlLCJvcHRpbWl6ZVNjYW5zIjp0cnVlfSwicmVzaXplIjp7IndpZHRoIjoxOTIwLCJoZWlnaHQiOjY2MywiZml0IjoiY292ZXIifSwic2hhcnBlbiI6dHJ1ZX19
Maple top is a veneer, the DGT SE has real maple for $899.

Back