Peavey 6505 1992 original

Sounds like……REALLY good marketing…

This is where I’m at. You couldn’t get a different part number for the transformers and it’s always been understood and stated that the secret to the originals were the glass they loaded them with. Even James Brown himself said they had a collection of decent glass that they used until it was gone.

I’m not buying the whole better transformer bullshit and this looks like a marketing scheme for a company that’s hurting for a new product.

I have came REALLLLLLLLLY close but I keep losing out. I played one way back in the day, but the guy sold it because it was too heavy. I was using it a lot. A lot of people talk about changing them to a head form, but I actually think the combo itself sounds great. I would like to hear if anyone experimented with changing out speakers in the 2x12 and their experiences.
I lucked out and got one just over a year ago for $500 locally. Turns out the guy was the original owner, he kinda lived out in the sticks, and no one wanted to drive a few hours to pick it up. I actually kinda like the closed back combo setup, and it's the only 2x12 combo I own. I've thought about swapping out the speakers, as I never loved them in the old 5150 4x12 I used to have, and they don't blow me away in the combo either. But the amp pretty much lives at my band rehearsal spot, and it gets the job done as is. If I ever start using it at home more, I'll probably change them out.
5150.jpg

Why are there a thousand offshoot variations of this damn amp? Why can't they just make the best version they can make, using the best sounding transformers, using the best quality parts, and include all the modern, switchable bells and whistles, and call it a day?

Why are there a thousand offshoot variations of this damn amp? Why can't they just make the best version they can make, using the best sounding transformers, using the best quality parts, and include all the modern, switchable bells and whistles, and call it a day?
How much would you pay for it made in the USA?

They did, called the invective. It’s based on the 5150 and is a signature model. I’m undecided on it.

It was Satriani’s signature amp. The XXX was actually George Lynch’s signature amp from peavey but George doesn’t openly acknowledge it or play one at all.
I remember when I thought the mudflap girl badges were the trashiest thing ever, but they have almost evolved to a post modernist ironic cool.

It was Satriani’s signature amp. The XXX was actually George Lynch’s signature amp from peavey but George doesn’t openly acknowledge it or play one at all.
Peavey rebranded the JSX as the XXX II at one point. I don’t think they did it for very long though.

They did, called the invective. It’s based on the 5150 and is a signature model. I’m undecided on it.
I am aware of this model and had my eyes on it since before it came out. I just got the impression that it doesn't have the most quality parts, based on the whole made/assembled in USA debacle.. it just doesn't seem like a popular amp really.

How much would you pay for it made in the USA?
I already have multiple 5150 variants because they all have different features but if they just made one that is the whole package, at top quality, I would gladly pay boutique dollars and sell everything else.

But in these modern times of planned obscelesence I guess business is gonna business 😄

Back