EVH 100

I’m sure it’s because his favorite sounding Marshall just happened to be 100w. If he came across a particularly good sounding 50 that sounded better than all the 100s in his collection, maybe that would’ve became his #1 amp. Maybe then he wouldn’t had the need to get into the whole variac and load resistor thing.

Last edited:
Maybe because of the voltage difference between the 50w and 100w 70’s Marshalls. I think I remember him saying the 50w were too fuzzy or similar. He said similar about high output pickups. He often wasn’t shooting for more distortion.

Ya, It’s definitely not something that anyone would suggest to do, but everything Eddie did was kind of unorthodox in some way…
I tried it once with my 1992 5150 and I didn’t hear the holy grail magic.

What that does is it runs one side of the 6L6`s in class A. How long it will last? Ive run a 50 watt marshall on 1 tube basically making it class A.

I’m sure he can get away with running 3 power tubes in an amp he more than likely had ample supply of, and got for free soooo……

This just took a turn I didn't expect, simulclass!?!!
My thought was the NFB/poweramp differences between the 100/50. I wasn't aware of him using the 50w peavey but that was far after him using the 100 forever. It HAS to be the power section of the 100 that he prefers. Maybe the 100 reacts better with the high gain jose?

Last edited:
No.

Pull 2 out of 4, no problem.

Just change the speaker load to match.

It matters which ones you pull and the load doesn’t have to match the OT secondary setting when two tubes are pulled. The Primary impedance doubles with two less tubes so you have to step down the secondary tap one notch to compensate.

If you pull two tubes, you half the secondary of the output transformer’s impedance. 16 ohm setting, go to 8. 8 ohm setting, go to 4. The load stays the same.

Bogner owners should be careful about pulling tubes as some of the amps he’s designed you don’t pull inner pair or outer pair but rather every other one. Most other amps are inner pair or outer pair. I don’t have models so don’t ask.

All tru but none of this explains why Ed used a 100. It has to be the way the jose works with the 100...Someone please take us to school on how the high gain jose works better in a 100 vs a 50

I’m sure it’s because his favorite sounding Marshall just happened to be 100w. If he came across a particularly good sounding 50 that sounded better than all the 100s in his collection, maybe that would’ve became his #1 amp. Maybe then he wouldn’t had the need to get into the whole variac and load resistor thing.
-desperation is the mother of invention.

Back