Help me pick a neck pickup.

JohnnyGtar

Howdy! I'd like your suggestions for a neck pickup for my Les Paul. I got an Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro IV for a holiday gift. It weighs a lot. Not weight relieved. Mahogany neck and body with a solid maple cap, not a veneer. I have a new DiMarzio FRED that will go in the bridge position and I'm looking for a bright neck pickup with not much bottom end. I like tight, Stratty neck humbuckers. I hate typical neck 'bucker booming tones. My old standby go to for situations like that is the Seymour Duncan Jazz neck model. (SH-2N). I've also played the DiMarzio FRED and the DiMarzio Bluesbucker in the neck position and I like them both. I like to play hard rock (Zep, Deep Purple, etc) and old school metal (Priest, Scorpions, NWOBHM etc.) What do you suggest? Thanks!

Last edited:
You want a Seymour Duncan ‘59. It sounds the most Strat like of all the neck humbuckers I’ve tried.

"I'm looking for a bright neck pickup with not much bottom end."

The first thing that comes to my mind is the Duncan Pearly Gates neck model. I have one in my Charvel Strat and it is light, flutey and chimey. They sound great in Les Pauls.

The first thing that comes to my mind is the Duncan Pearly Gates neck model. I have one in my Charvel Strat and it is light, flutey and chimey. They sound great in Les Pauls.
Great choice! Or get a Duncan 59n and swap magnets to taste. I have one with an A3 that sounds fantastic!

Howdy! I'd like your suggestions for a neck pickup for my Les Paul. I got an Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro IV for a holiday gift. It weighs a lot. Not weight relieved. Mahogany neck and body with a solid maple cap, not a veneer. I have a new DiMarzio FRED that will go in the bridge position and I'm looking for a bright neck pickup with not much bottom end. I like tight, Stratty neck humbuckers. I hate typical neck 'bucker booming tones. My old standby go to for situations like that is the Seymour Duncan Jazz neck model. (SH-2N). I've also played the DiMarzio FRED and the DiMarzio Bluesbucker in the neck position and I like them both. I like to play hard rock (Zep, Deep Purple, etc) and old school metal (Priest, Scorpions, NWOBHM etc.) What do you suggest? Thanks!
Paf joe

You want a Seymour Duncan ‘59. It sounds the most Strat like of all the neck humbuckers I’ve tried.
That's one of the most boomy and scooped sounding neck humbuckers for a Les Paul, dude.... not the best advice in this scenario.

Stratty, not boomy in a Les Paul neck position=Duncan SH-12 Screamin' Demon, or Pearly Gates neck, for that more vintage PAF tone, yet with 'hair' and raw character.

Otherwise, Humbucker from Hell is supposedly all bright.

That's one of the most boomy and scooped sounding neck humbuckers for a Les Paul, dude.... not the best advice in this scenario.

Stratty, not boomy in a Les Paul neck position=Duncan SH-12 Screamin' Demon, or Pearly Gates neck, for that more vintage PAF tone, yet with 'hair' and raw character.

Otherwise, Humbucker from Hell is supposedly all bright.
Opinions are like assholes, I supposed. He can try one and find out for his damn self if he likes it or not.

Here’s what a 59 neck sounds like in a LPC. Around the :31 mark or so. Sounds petty bitchin to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Geo
SD Phat Cat, Fralin Twangmaster, or Railhammer Cleancut.

Back