Next model coming soon WD Forte

scottosan

Aside from spending weeks prototyping the whiskey, I loved the Duncan RTM so much, I spent some time planning specs for the WD Forte model. This was my first stab at it My fist impression is that the RTM has more low end and a little more wool.on single note lead tones. It can get a little woofy in the low end. I'd like like to get just a we bit more saturation and some of that wool on the lead tones but keep the low end a little more reigned in. I plan on winding another with about 200 more winds per bobbin. Is at 17.4k A2 while the RTM is 18k A2. The RTM has a resonant peak of 4.4.k. I can only get mine about 4.7k, whereas the JB is 5.5k. Adding capacitance is hard hand winding without getting too loose.

Duncan should really make this a full production model nits so much better than the JB

Thoughts? Suggestions? Feedback?

I'm gonna end up with fifty of your pickups...I need to buy more guitars😎
There's so many things that affect the tone and feel, there's so many places to go. The challenge is figuring out what people actually want. I've figured out.that there's certain things.you can't do machine wound and certain things you can't do hand wound. I think after this batch I am going to buy a.CNC winder to cover all bases.

Reactions: PDC
There's so many things that affect the tone and feel, there's so many places to go. The challenge is figuring out what people actually want. I've figured out.that there's certain things.you can't do machine wound and certain things you can't do hand wound. I think after this batch I am going to buy a.CNC winder to cover all bases.
What I’ve gathered with humans is many can’t describe what they actually want or feel.
Many can’t play with what they are trying to say.
It’s all how the player touches/strikes and holds the instrument.
THAT! Should be what determines the pickups they want and need.

So is the RTM hand wound ?
I thought my box says hand wound by MJ ?
But it's been 10 plus years and I'm not sure where it is now.

So is the RTM hand wound ?
I thought my box says hand wound by MJ ?
But it's been 10 plus years and I'm not sure where it is now.
No, just custom made. They do not hand wind humbuckers in the custom shop, only single coils. Just like the old days. MJ is operating a machine the controls the traverse and to ensuing. She assembles them.

Maybe I'm crazy but the RTM is pronouncing or is clearer in the low and highs where as the prototype smears those in favour of a bigger overall low end and mid range. I think the mid push might be a bit too strong IF going after the RTM sound. But on it's own the prototype is pretty bangin'. I liked the snark of the RTM back to back though. It's proving even among my own flock, to be my favourite.

I have friends trying to buy my Psykes and Roxy off of me. I explained they are all handwound, they can get the same pickups and gave them Scotts website. But 2 dudes want "THIS PICKUP". Sorry, not for sale!
My birthday is coming up and I was going to ask u for the roxy too....

Hahahahahahaha no king v for u...unless there is a calamity that causes catastrophic damage on the world stage to a level never seen before.

It's funny that already in such a short time, Tonenerd pickups have already proven themselves better than Dimarzio and on par with duncan to my ears. Maybe winding pickups is simpler than the sorcery we make it out to be but nevertheless..

It's funny that already in such a short time, Tonenerd pickups have already proven themselves better than Dimarzio and on par with duncan to my ears. Maybe winding pickups is simpler than the sorcery we make it out to be but nevertheless..
I swapped out four Dimarzio pickups with Tone Nerd pickups. I’m very happy with the results

Haha, I've still got a long ways to go. I would say in October, when I started prototyping the Psykes, it forced my out of my comfort zone to experiment more and since then, I've found lots of new techniques and spent a lot of time experimenting and documenting. After this next batch, I'm probably going to buy a CNC winder to mess with

Back