Single coils single coils single coils.

crankster

I want this post and future posts within it to be a discussion about everything that makes up the magical mojo of single coil tones and single coil specs/wiring setup.

I'll start with a question for someone who has been down the resistor/capacitor rabbit hole and could maybe explain to me what resistors can do for single coil tone. I have a set of Suhr V70 single coils in a rosewood neck strat, I like the tone of them but I find them to be a little ice picky. Would adding resistors somewhere in the circuit help? I noticed the PRS Silver Sky has a very interesting wiring setup using a 330kohm resistor for example. Random :poop:

Last edited:
What pot values do you have on the guitar? Are the pickups set close to the strings, or far?

I think the resistor trick on the PRS SS is to specifically set the resistance value that the pickup "sees" due to the tremendous variation in pot value labels vs. how they actually meter; they'll put on a specific resistor to a 330k labeled pot to get it where JM wanted it. I don't think that it uses a treble bleed, or anything of that nature.

For my part, I've found Fralin Blues to be my favorite single coils. I think 70s style singles tend to be a bit brighter, as I understand it anyway.

Edit: this was from one of the PRS guys, Shawn, on the PRS forum about a similar question:
"A customer contacted me because the volume pot on his Silver Sky was acting up. Having the guitar come back to the factory was impractical for this particular customer, so he agreed to receive a replacement pot and he'd have it installed locally. I went into our electronics room and said, "I need a replacement volume pot for a Silver Sky, where can I find one?" My coworker in the electronics area informed me that they didn't have any SS volume pots "ready to go", so she made one for me. You see, each volume pot is measured for an exact reading. The pots are 500K, but in reality they can vary from 470K - 520K. For each Silver Sky, a reading is taken on each pot and then we solder into place a uniquely valued capacitor to bring the pot to the 300K. Let me repeat that. Each Silver Sky volume pot is individually measured and then a specific value capacitor is added to make the pot read 300K. Do you know any other major guitar manufacturer that goes to those lengths to ensure consistency of quality? But Paul doesn't run the company anymore, so I'm pretty sure this was the accountant's idea. :oops::oops::oops:"

Last edited:
What pot values do you have on the guitar? Are the pickups set close to the strings, or far?

I think the resistor trick on the PRS SS is to specifically set the resistance value that the pickup "sees" due to the tremendous variation in pot value labels vs. how they actually meter; they'll put on a specific resistor to a 330k labeled pot to get it where JM wanted it. I don't think that it uses a treble bleed, or anything of that nature.

For my part, I've found Fralin Blues to be my favorite single coils. I think 70s style singles tend to be a bit brighter, as I understand it anyway.

Edit: this was from one of the PRS guys, Shawn, on the PRS forum about a similar question:
"A customer contacted me because the volume pot on his Silver Sky was acting up. Having the guitar come back to the factory was impractical for this particular customer, so he agreed to receive a replacement pot and he'd have it installed locally. I went into our electronics room and said, "I need a replacement volume pot for a Silver Sky, where can I find one?" My coworker in the electronics area informed me that they didn't have any SS volume pots "ready to go", so she made one for me. You see, each volume pot is measured for an exact reading. The pots are 500K, but in reality they can vary from 470K - 520K. For each Silver Sky, a reading is taken on each pot and then we solder into place a uniquely valued capacitor to bring the pot to the 300K. Let me repeat that. Each Silver Sky volume pot is individually measured and then a specific value capacitor is added to make the pot read 300K. Do you know any other major guitar manufacturer that goes to those lengths to ensure consistency of quality? But Paul doesn't run the company anymore, so I'm pretty sure this was the accountant's idea. :oops::oops::oops:"
Interesting stuff here. Thanks for the share. Pickups are set almost at pickguard height, really low... CTS 250K pots.

I want this post and future posts within it to be a discussion about everything that makes up the magical mojo of single coil tones and single coil specs/wiring setup.

I'll start with a question for someone who has been down the resistor/capacitor rabbit hole and could maybe explain to me what resistors can do for single coil tone. I have a set of Suhr V70 single coils in a rosewood neck strat, I like the tone of them but I find them to be a little ice picky. Would adding resistors somewhere in the circuit help? I noticed the PRS Silver Sky has a very interesting wiring setup using a 330kohm resistor for example. Random :poop:
I just looked and the drawing I found showed a 3.3M resistor from the hot lug of the 300k volume pot to ground. All that does is effectively make the volume pot 275k. The tone pots are 250k with a shared 100n cap.

If turning the tone pot down makes it sound too murky then maybe try a 47n tone cap or even smaller. If you want the tone pot to be on 10 when you have 'your' tone then add a resistor in parallel (hot lug to ground on tone pot) with that tone pot. Maybe try a 1M resistor at first and then adjust from there.

EDIT: I should mention that swapping to a 47n tone cap might make it brighter with tone pots on 10. This mod would be to allow you to turn down the tone pots without it sucking all the life out of the tone.

In my travels,

1. David Allen, also for his Tele pickups.
The Fat 59’s RULE, priced competively.
The best Texas Specials without icepicks.

2. Tone Specifics, I only have their HSS
57 set, but the singles are INSANELY good,
Get out your pocketbook for these bad boys.

3.Rocketfire Total 60’s, the best “blues specials” with nice Fat 50’s quack etc, priced competively.

Most important?
Do you adjust each single coil for output match up
and tonal desires?
Have you ever switched strings to nickel and a lower gauge just for the Stratocaster in question?
Have you ever adjusted/tuned the bridge single coil to the amplifier/speakers your playing?

Currently in my SSS Strat I have
David Allen Fat 59’s, neck & middle positions,
with a Motor City Dim Milk in the bridge position.
I can be SRV and Heavy Metal SRV on command.

Currently in my SSS Strat I have
David Allen Fat 59’s, neck & middle positions,
with a Motor City Dim Milk in the bridge position.
I can be SRV and Heavy Metal SRV on command.
I have similar desires in my strats, srv from the neck and mid and Cantrell from the bridge. I'm using primarily Texas specials in neck and mid with a motor city afwayu humbucker in the bridge or for sss routes I'll use a Duncan custom shop stacked humbucker for bridge. MJ has made me a few "hot but tight" jbs over the years, I call them the spider bite. 17k alnico 5. They rip.

Back