Uncompressed high gainers like Peters, Wizard, Fryette + Is Peters still around?

no.mids.brando

I’ve been searching high and low for months for a modern sounding high gain amp. I’ve decided that i’m looking for something with the cocked wah mids of a 6505 or 5153, with the uncompressed dynamic feel of a Fryette Deliverance or similar.

I’ve narrowed it down to a Deliverance 60, Peter’s with either the Fire Hammer or Plasma blade OD Channel, a Wizard MTL MCII Hybrid, or a Monomyth Skeleton Key. All of these options have issues, so i’m looking for more.

From demos Fryette is a little dark, the Wizard is expensive as hell, and the Monomyth though almost perfect is a bit more compressed than the others.

I have been unable to reach Mr. James Peters via text or email which has been disheartening since his amps were honestly my first pick.

What else is out there that i’m missing? I have a Mark III but need a more modern flavor. It seems like there’s so many boutique options, too many to be honest, but I have something very specific I like in those 4 amps. Especially the Peter’s and the ultra high dynamic range of the Fryette. And that’s that harmonically rich swirl of cocked wah mids, almost slightly overbearing but still sweet hifi-ish highs, a clear attack, deep lows, and enough dynamics to clearly feel the amp.

For what it's worth, I own a mark III and a Deliverance 60, and they're pretty much the perfect combo. the D60 does everything I need, that the mark doesn't.

I’m not sure I’d describe the 5150s as cocked wah sounding? The monomyth definitely isn’t going to be that. Wizards do that dry and open thing but not exactly modern sounding to me

Those others don’t have that cocked wah thing of the 6505’s or 5153’s. Not too many amps do IME besides those 2 (that’s a good thing in my book lol). I can’t think of any open sounding amp with cocked wah mids. I think you’re best bet might be to just get an open sounding amp and boost it with a pedal that has cocked wah mids (TONS of pedals with that sound lol)

Last edited:
I had my Deliverance at Lugo's last big amp fest. It was one of the brightest amps there, not dark at all. I still have the files somewhere, but the D60, SLO, and 5150 were all voiced similarly in the mids.

Never played a Peters but have owned versions of the others. D60 seems like the right choice. Monomyth is a totally different sound from the Fryette/Wizard thing. Much more grease and more fun feeling. Fryette and wizard make it seem like your strings are slamming against a stone wall- not that that’s a bad thing. All taste

I had my Deliverance at Lugo's last big amp fest. It was one of the brightest amps there, not dark at all. I still have the files somewhere, but the D60, SLO, and 5150 were all voiced similarly in the mids.
Were you the one that brought the deliverance to the amp fest in Raleigh? What all was recorded?

Shit that was my 5150 II being compared to Lugo’s original 5150 II if you stuck around :rock:

Weird that James does not answer. He is super fats usually in responding to emails or calls. I noticed his website has not been updated for a while.

I own a Peters FSM/ Vega/ Halo and it is an amazing amp. One of my favorites. Super versatile and tight, very dynamic. I have kt88's in there and it is crushing.

From the list missing was Hermanson. Both his 5 gain stage Marshall and his 4 gain stage Dual Recto are my favorite modern amps .

Were you the one that brought the deliverance to the amp fest in Raleigh? What all was recorded?

Shit that was my 5150 II being compared to Lugo’s original 5150 II if you stuck around :rock:
Yup. I think his 5150 was stock and yours modded? The second ampfest he had there was recorded. I still have some of the files on a cd. I need to find it and upload the files.

Yup. I think his 5150 was stock and yours modded? The second ampfest he had there was recorded. I still have some of the files on a cd. I need to find it and upload the files.
Yep yessir you got it! He had a second one?

You’re one of the only few that I know that was there and has heard mine at band volumes. People say stock is better than modded but that was definitely not what played out at his studio 😂

I’m good friends with Lugo. I wonder if we could pay him for studio time to host another one.

I’ve been searching high and low for months for a modern sounding high gain amp. I’ve decided that i’m looking for something with the cocked wah mids of a 6505 or 5153, with the uncompressed dynamic feel of a Fryette Deliverance or similar.

I’ve narrowed it down to a Deliverance 60, Peter’s with either the Fire Hammer or Plasma blade OD Channel, a Wizard MTL MCII Hybrid, or a Monomyth Skeleton Key. All of these options have issues, so i’m looking for more.

From demos Fryette is a little dark, the Wizard is expensive as hell, and the Monomyth though almost perfect is a bit more compressed than the others.

I have been unable to reach Mr. James Peters via text or email which has been disheartening since his amps were honestly my first pick.

What else is out there that i’m missing? I have a Mark III but need a more modern flavor. It seems like there’s so many boutique options, too many to be honest, but I have something very specific I like in those 4 amps. Especially the Peter’s and the ultra high dynamic range of the Fryette. And that’s that harmonically rich swirl of cocked wah mids, almost slightly overbearing but still sweet hifi-ish highs, a clear attack, deep lows, and enough dynamics to clearly feel the amp.
Following - curious if you hear from James. Also wondering about the feel, it always seemed like his amps have plenty of flexibility to dial in some sponge or tightness.

Yep yessir you got it! He had a second one?

You’re one of the only few that I know that was there and has heard mine at band volumes. People say stock is better than modded but that was definitely not what played out at his studio 😂

I’m good friends with Lugo. I wonder if we could pay him for studio time to host another one.

I believe he had a welcoming party, then a few months later a big amp fest. Ya, your amp was better than stock. My amp sounded a little thin atr the time. Rolled some preamp tubes after I got home and it was fine.

I used to talk to James Peters periodically since we go back to the AX84 days. If he isn't responding it makes me wonder if something has happened to him- I certainly hope not. Super good guy and really driven to make an amazing amp.

I’d never try and talk anyone out of a Deliverance, but I think the Pittbulls have much more of the mids you are talking about than a Deliverance

Back