What's your favorite Celestion for 80s rock, classic rock, and just all around noodling?

Matt300ZXT

I got this here 1960TV cab that's a wee bit bigger than the average Marshall cab loaded with UK made Greenbacks. I simply cannot get enough of this cab. I had a Marshall 1960AV with their spec'ed Vintage 30, and had a Vintage 30 in a combo amp and while the Marshall one was pretty good, I did not like the Celestion Vintage 30 I had in the combo amp. I have 75 watters in this other Marshall cab, but until I get a new jack and rewire this thing to be constant resistance and bypass this garbage stereo switch, I can't trust the cab's resistance to not jump from 16ish to like 25 or more and burn out the amp. I've almost always played 75 watt Marshall cabs (aside from the Mesa Stiletto cab and a JCM800 cab with 2 Greenbacks and 2 75ers I should have NEVER sold) but I just can't put the guitar down when playing on this Greenback cab.

Love the UK V-30s.

I‘ve got 16 ohm G12-EVH in my straight front 4x12s and they just sound f’n incredible.

Greenbacks, every day, all day. I use them for any genre, even drop tuned DM type stuff. I’ve lately been enjoying the Fane 70 I got from Avatar quite a while ago but the Greeny is an easy default for anything.

Reactions: fek
Greenbacks, every day, all day. I use them for any genre, even drop tuned DM type stuff. I’ve lately been enjoying the Fane 70 I got from Avatar quite a while ago but the Greeny is an easy default for anything.
If I can find some good used Greenys I might buy some to put in my jcm900 cab. I love em.

I have a TV cab also from the early 90’s. Great cabinet and those greenbacks they used back then are some of my favorites.

I always lean towards the Greenies. It’s just an all around great speaker.

I’ve played some Fanes I liked a lot too, but the old ones are just too expensive now.

For non-vintage: Alnico Gold or Heritage 20w GB’s

Vintage: ‘60’s Blues or the real deal of those 20’s

Every other Celestion may as well never have existed as far as I’m concerned. Put on bottom (or some combo) some JBL 120’s or Fane Cresncendo’s for more beef or chuggage and it’s all there. Fane F90’s a decent attainable alternative

If we're talking money no object then pulsonic coned G12M 75Hz all way. Makes me grin every time.

Otherwise I like the Heritage M / EVH from the current Celestion offerings.

Back