I finally got to play my new Peavey 3120

Matt300ZXT

This is the amp I got like 2 and a half weeks ago from a friend in a trade for my Marshall 1960AV I never used. My neighbor kinda sucks (shared wall in an apartment) so I have to wait until she's gone to bring the rock, and she hardly leaves....maybe that's why she's a hermit single dog lady.

Anywho, after rocking on the Plexi today and loving the sound of the nice clean distortion a boosted Plexi provides, I decided I'd hook up the 3120 into the same Greenback loaded cab for a lil nastier tone due to the high gain. It took me a bit to dial in an eq sound I like with a volume ratio that I think is pretty good for still driving the power amp some without ear splitting volume levels...I love the master, preamp AND preamp volume levels of this amp, you can really get a good volume you can live with.

I was just going straight amp with my crappy tiny Flashback delay (that's getting replaced with this Boss DD20 I just bought) in the loop so it wasn't just a dry signal. After taking a little extra treble out to get rid of some high end fizz I didn't like, and then tweaking the bass to get rid of some fartiness on some of the lower notes I played, and boosting the mids just a hair, I was able to get a sound I really enjoyed. I wasn't even sure I'd like the amp, but I figured if I didn't, it'd be an easier sell/trade than the Marshall cab. I totally dig it. Rolling back on the volume on my Warmoth with a JB/59 didn't make it real clean, but gave me a really fun clean distortion type tone and even enjoyed playing some bluesy licks on that volume, then cranked it back up for more rock.

Nice! As Techdeth said, Dying Fetus has been using them live and Suffocation has used them to record with (and prob used live as well).

Glad you got a sound you dig!

Some seriously heavy bands....I was just using it to play Whitesnake, Heart, Michael Bolton, Poison, and a few other groups 😆

Back