Recovered a couple more heads

MadAsAHatter

I recovered my other 2 Crate amps (BV300 & Shockwave) to go along with the BV150 I recovered a bit back. I did the BV300 in red/black snakeskin and Shockwave in white/black snakeskin. I didn't do a front face on these 2 yet. I'm a little undecided if I want to do one, spray the grill to match or leave it as is.

Any yes there is a theme in the colors that were chosen.

1674398401949.png

1674398459250.png

1674398594426.png

I want a badass snakeskin covered 80s style amp so bad....and the cabs too. Maybe I should just sell my kidney on the blackmarket and get an SLO100 stack that's snakeskin from the factory.

Excellent job! I'm not criticizing but if I were you I would do the corners on the gray one black. I love the blue one too!
This is my same criticism and I 100% agree with you. I put the corners on this morning and as soon as I stepped back to look it was an instant NOPE!

The original plan was to use black corners on both since the old ones were a bit crudded up. But the Amazon shop I usually get them from more than tripled the price on just the black non-wraparound ones from $5 to nearly $20 a set. On a whim and since I had the paint on hand I cleaned up the old corners and spray painted them. The red ones matched really well and looked good, the white not so much. Those need to be a dark steel grey or black. I'll either find another source for black corners or see what color paints the hardware store has that will work better and respray the white ones.

Good job on the recovering! Looks like great work from here.

How are those Crate 150/300 amps? I'm honestly a fan of the BV60/120, but of course everyone tells me I need to get the 150/300 on the channel

Good job on the recovering! Looks like great work from here.

How are those Crate 150/300 amps? I'm honestly a fan of the BV60/120, but of course everyone tells me I need to get the 150/300 on the channel

They are a different beast and much better than the 60/120. Since the 150 & 300 use different power tubes (6L6 in the 150 & 6550 in the 300) they also sound slightly different from each other. I can get some sounds reminiscent of Soldano and some higher gain plexi tones out of them. What I like the best is the frequency select on each channel, something the 60/120 doesn't have. Ch 1 selects the mid frequency the mid knob controls, Ch 2 is a 4-5 dB mid boost at the selected frequency, and Ch 3 selects the high frequency the treble knob controls.

Are they going to blow something like a Soldano, Bogner, Mesa, etc. out the water; absolutely not. BUT they are solid workhorse amps that sound really good an can hold their own in a mix. A good comparison would be how a Marshall DSL isn't the best amp on the planet but can hold it's own. If not for the Crate logo and the reputation that comes with it I think the BV150 & 300 would be held in higher regards.

You're in PA right? If you're interested in picking up one there's a BV150 for sale on Reverb in Lancaster for a decent price. They don't come up often so it may be worth grabbing while one's available.

https://reverb.com/item/64718851-crate-blue-voodoo-150h

I’m extremely impressed.
Your hand drawn diagram really
tickled me pink.
When I had my businsss and clients
would propose for a rough sketch..,
Your sense of dimension & craftsmanship
is ON POINT,
-I could make a lot of money with those hands
of yours, oh yes I could!!
LTFOL!!!!
I used to make up my own “work quotes”,
I got one just for you.

“Don’t rely on the eye,
-because the measurements don’t lie”.
(Measure it thrice’)

You sound like a busy man, who stays busy
getting shit done when you’re on your days off.

-You get HERDS of respect from me dude
for knockin’ shit out AND gettin’ it done proper-.

Great work! I like how you matched up the pattern on the blue and it doesn't look random where the face and the sides of the headshell meet

Back