Peavey 6505 1992 original

That sizzle and fizz is what makes them killer in a mix. All these guys that neuter their 5150s to death with these terrible mods are playing in their basement only.

The saddest thing about modded 5150's is that 99.9% of the time the exact same thing or better could be accomplished by just running your favorite boost or tone shaper pedal in front to tighten / boost things and maybe another EQ in the loop to cut out highs and mids or whatever you want while you're jamming at home.

The amp would retain its original integrity and it would probably be cheaper, too.

omg these cliche ass clickbait-y youtube thumbnails are just too much. the over acting facial expressions make me want to run far far away. EVERYONE on you tube seems to think that is going to make you want to watch.

That's just fuckin youtube these days dude. If somebody isn't pulling a weird face in the thumbnail, the algo doesn't push the video. It's so goddamn stupid but you can't hate the people making the videos for just doing what they need to do to not get effectively shadowbanned from the platform.

Last edited:
That's just fuckin youtube these days dude. If somebody isn't pulling a weird face in the thumbnail, the algo doesn't push the video. It's so goddamn stupid but you can't hate the people making the videos for just doing what they need to do to not get effectively shadowbanned from the platform.
I do a little youtube thing where I blabber for about 45 minutes about schematics and technical details on certain amps. This is absolutely accurate, if I cut my videos down and just stuck my agape face on the thumbnail I'd probably triple my viewership overnight - because as much as we dislike it, that's what the average youtube viewer wants to see. It's not even just the algorithm, I get comments on my videos saying I should "talk less" and "have catchier titles" - the people have spoken, that is if you intend on making any kind of ad revenue from the platform.

---

As for the amp, the reliability changes seem smart. I find it a bit "suspicious" that the perfect transformer the Peavey engineers decided sounded best also just happens to be the same one that the Invective was introduced with 6 years ago now.

Also, maybe I'm being pedantic, but the reliability changes, detachable power cord, switchable voltages - all great quality of life improvements - but kind of makes it... not "original 1992" anymore right?

Annoying marketing/naming aside, that's a decent price all things considered these days, and squares it up against other amps like the DSL100HR, 5153 50w, and new Archon's in terms of "budget" high gainers.

Not only does that amp slay but it has had some of the best in the business under the hood, no not ever my metal friend and to clarify...
giphy (8).gif

I do a little youtube thing where I blabber for about 45 minutes about schematics and technical details on certain amps. This is absolutely accurate, if I cut my videos down and just stuck my agape face on the thumbnail I'd probably triple my viewership overnight - because as much as we dislike it, that's what the average youtube viewer wants to see. It's not even just the algorithm, I get comments on my videos saying I should "talk less" and "have catchier titles" - the people have spoken, that is if you intend on making any kind of ad revenue from the platform.

---

As for the amp, the reliability changes seem smart. I find it a bit "suspicious" that the perfect transformer the Peavey engineers decided sounded best also just happens to be the same one that the Invective was introduced with 6 years ago now.

Also, maybe I'm being pedantic, but the reliability changes, detachable power cord, switchable voltages - all great quality of life improvements - but kind of makes it... not "original 1992" anymore right?

Annoying marketing/naming aside, that's a decent price all things considered these days, and squares it up against other amps like the DSL100HR, 5153 50w, and new Archon's in terms of "budget" high gainers.
Great first post -and welcome to RT :cheers:

I couldn’t agree more. A lot of it seems like ironic coercion if you ask me. Hell half the shit they did to call it a new model we were doing to ours 20 years ago. I put an IEC plug, improved adjustable bias, made it so I could run EL34 or 6L6, and slapped a quality Mercury magnetics OT in it and the amp slayed. This was 2005. I’ve since done more preamp wise to it to tune it to my preference and less the stock gain character but I used it for countless gigs with just the basics upgraded. I dont think they needed to create a new model to do we did ages ago but I guess this amp will be for those that never gave the original platform a modded chance. Sorta like a bought not built of the OG 5150s. And before anyone bellows that I may be the exception, FJA made a career off of doing similar mods to 5150s for quite a while.

Last edited:

---

Hey, it’s the TRG guy! What’s up man. I dug your Mark IV and Savage 120 videos. Great work on those.

I agree with your thoughts on the new 6505 transformer, too. Seems awfully coincidental. I’ve had similar thoughts about that. First they said they based the updated transformer on the best ones from their old stock, then they said they’re using the same one the Invective uses. Which one is it? Did they base the Invective’s transformer on the same thing and just not include that in the original marketing?

Either way though, all the clips I’ve heard of the new amp seem to show a 5150 that sounds just like the old one but a bit clearer in the upper mids. That plus an improved faceplate, detachable power cable, and a fix for the tube heater cable burnout problem are all excellent my book. Whatever the marketing may be, all signs are pointing to this being a great amp at the end of the day… IF it ever comes out lol.

Great first post -and welcome to RT :cheers:
Cheers and thanks! Been lurking for a decade and can’t believe it took me this long to finally chime in.

You mentioned FJA, I would love to know just how many 5150’s went through his mods. Based on his site it sure seems like a LOT. They were great modification platforms because they already had lots of gain and a nice neutral voicing to begin with - not overly bright or dark - perfect for customizing. I wasn’t around when they first came out of course but I remember in the 00’s even brand new ones were very reasonably priced and so common there was always at least one in stock (used or new) at my local GC. They definitely dropped in popularity a bit - call it market saturation - and I think this is a good move by Peavey to gain some of it back. I just don’t like the name, but I guess 5150 III was taken

Was that a soft on China stance wt literal fuck?!!
Haha , I actually hate that the US bends over for china time and time again. But I’m not gonna say that just because this amp is built in China it will sound bad. That might not be the case . It could sound better than the original , though I’m skeptical. If I had to guess it’s only being done to cut costs. I thought the Invective was not good. I owned one briefly and couldn’t wait to get rid of it. If there were a way I could specifically vote for companies to come back and build here I would. Republican politicians say they are against production in China but most of them don’t do anything about it. Over the course of the past 60 plus years both sides of the fence set up China to become the power it is now.

As we all post and read posts on a device made in China. Not saying I like it but it’s the bed we’ve made.

As far as I'm aware, everything Peavey is now made in China
Until now the Peavey official site listed only the old 6505® 4x12 Guitar Cabinet loaded with the V30 speakers.
Do you have any specific info about the new Cabs @Bad.Seed ?
The Original 6505 Head you have for test is loaded with what brand of tubes?
Tnx.

Back