What’s an album you love but hate the tones ?

I love all that remains . But they sound like they add mids from a boss eq to the 5150 lol it’s odd , I can’t wait to hear them with Jason Richardson solos
Agreed. When I saw them live in 2019 their tone was similar, but more messy, but I love a lot of their riffs, solos and musical ideas they’ve come up with. That could be interesting with Richardson. He seems like a player with very good technical skills

I especially like ATR because they have some leadwork that actually has something to say. They are among the few needles in this ginormous haystack of vapid leadwork

+1 on Badlands but the first thing that popped into my head was The Ultimate Sin rhythm tone. Leads are not bad but that rhythm tone…ugh.
With Defenders of The Faith I don’t mind the guitars as much as the bloated 80’s drums. Takes away from the aggression.

Randy Rhoads tone with Ozzy. I love his playing though

Any Guns and Roses tone. I just can’t stand Slash’s tone. Songs are okay though.

Mick Mars- I can’t stand his recorded tone. Old songs are cool though.
100% with all of this.

I know it’s mainly the Marshall forum that worships Slash but I can’t think of a more overrated guitar tone than his. Especially on the Illusion albums. Thinner than 90’s Kate Moss and highs equivalent to a table saw in action.

Oh yeah, his signature amps suck ass too…

Agreed. When I saw them live in 2019 their tone was similar, but more messy, but I love a lot of their riffs, solos and musical ideas they’ve come up with. That could be interesting with Richardson. He seems like a player with very good technical skills

I especially like ATR because they have some leadwork that actually has something to say. They are among the few needles in this ginormous haystack of vapid leadwork
Oil was underrated . And Jason wow. I’ve taught his solos and he comes up with some very original licks and ideas . Never seen any one else play like that .

The first Dio album, the guitars are almost nauseating due to them being too dry.

Second, def leopard on through the night album, some of the songs work with that sound but songs like wasted sound 10x better on the live version from Germany in 83.

Lastly, Sykes bad boys live. I think it has too much low end combined with fizz compared to when he was using rectos and marks. This might also be a Michael Nielsen thing as the low end on that album has his mark on it.

The first Dio album, the guitars are almost nauseating due to them being too dry.

Second, def leopard on through the night album, some of the songs work with that sound but songs like wasted sound 10x better on the live version from Germany in 83.

Lastly, Sykes bad boys live. I think it has too much low end combined with fizz compared to when he was using rectos and marks. This might also be a Michael Nielsen thing as the low end on that album has his mark on it.
The first Dio album I feel that !

100% with all of this.

I know it’s mainly the Marshall forum that worships Slash but I can’t think of a more overrated guitar tone than his. Especially on the Illusion albums. Thinner than 90’s Kate Moss and highs equivalent to a table saw in action.

Oh yeah, his signature amps suck ass too…
I must say I love his use your illusion tone . I also LOVE this tone here . Fucking crushing imo

I must say I love his use your illusion tone . I also LOVE this tone here . Fucking crushing imo
Yeah that’s a great song and UYI 1 is one of my all time favorite records growing up, but the tone bugs me. It’s weird because it’s more noticeable in certain songs but then again those records were recorded in different studios

Yeah that’s a great song and UYI 1 is one of my all time favorite records growing up, but the tone bugs me. It’s weird because it’s more noticeable in certain songs but then again those records were recorded in different studios
It’s definitely unique and has string kerrang to it

Randy Rhoads tone with Ozzy. I love his playing though

Any Guns and Roses tone. I just can’t stand Slash’s tone. Songs are okay though.

Mick Mars- I can’t stand his recorded tone. Old songs are cool though.
I like micks dimebag Randall tone he uses on Bitter Pill in 99. A poppy crue song with a brutal tone

Please hear me out ... the first Badlands album. That guitar tone is SO dry and the mids are SO 'boxy' - but got-DAYUM if Jake doesn't just flat kill it on that album! And the more you listen to it, the more you almost 'like' (???) that weird guitar tone. Not enough words to express the respect I have for the way he flat wrestled all those killer leads and rhythms on that album - but if lower gain, less compression, and sparse effects was what he was going for, then imagine that album recorded through a Wizard. When I listen to that album today, I love it as much if not more than ever. But I have nightmares about being hauled up onto stage at some sort of open mic jam nite, plugging my guitar in, and THAT'S the tone I gotta' work with for how ever long I'm stuck up there!!!
I read years ago on that album he used a Marshall JTM 45 with a Dimarzio Very Metal pedal. He also used a BOSS OD-1 live not sure if he used it in the studio . His speakers back then we’re EVs . Funny cause the tone you describe I’ve always thought of the Voodoo Highway like that

The first few SP albums. Despite working within the context; Little Willy Corgan's nasal tone never broke puberty. The other tones were mostly sweet given the experimentation.

Back