Is anybody using a Schaller STM bridge?

Rex Rocker

Is it any good?

I'm blacking out my Gibson Les Paul Tribute, and I'm having a hard time finding a black tune o matic bridge That will fit and not be complete trash material-wise. I'm not convinced about the Zinc body on the STM, but at least the rollers are brass.

So... is it any good? Or are the roller saddles tone-robbers?

Thanks!

This is the Gibson in queston:
WhatsApp Image 2023-01-21 at 2.35.27 PM.jpeg

Already ordered black Gotoh locking tuners, aluminum tailpiece, and straplocks. It's too bad Gotoh doesn't offer a tune-o with nashville posts. Otherwise, I'd buy it. I don't like the idea of Zinc in there, but at least Gotoh Tune-o's are cheap and built well.

The Schaller is not cheap... and is Zinc. Which I'm dubious about.

Killer looking guitar, BTW!
It's a nice bridge because you can adjust string spacing by rolling the saddles one way or the other. Actually didn't realize that until I was installing it.

Since that guitar is a "string thru" body design, there's a lot of string length between the V-plate on the body and the saddles - leaving room for the string to shift position after bending.

The rollers do away with that problem.

Last edited:
I haven't used that specific bridge but have used the flat mount version (Schaller 475) of it on several of my builds. It's very solid and I really like it. To me there are several advantages. All smooth surfaces. No worries about the strings getting hung up then jumping out of pitch when tuning. Also no sharp edges for a sting to break on. Adjustable string spacing. This is valuable if you ever decide to go to a significantly thicker/thinner set of strings. you can adjust so the outer strings aren't hanging off the side or too far in then adjust the rest accordingly. I've also used it on a Bass VI type build where the string spacing was wider than standard. The 475 accommodated the spacing no problem.

I would assume the one you're asking about is of similar construction and quality. I don't notice any tone sucking from it. Schaller in general makes good high quality parts so I thing you'd be satisfied getting one.

Edit: I forgot to say I have used a non Schaller version of the bridge you're wanting to know about. It's of similar construction, Zinc with brass rollers. That one is pretty solid too with all the advantages of the Schaller. It's a little different feel under my palm than a standard TOM. It's actually more comfortable doing palm mutes, no sharp low E saddle corner sticking me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies!

Yeah, I was actually checking the ABM stuff, but their black bridges seem to be out of stock.

I had a custom shop Washburn Centurion with that bridge and the matching fine tuning tailpiece

I had no issues with it

No rollers on that one.
TPR-6B.

FWIW, I use Roller bridges on all my Gibsons. For one, they have a higher break angle, allowing you to get the tailpiece flush with plenty of clearance. 2, you don't have to be concerned about notches being cut right, jagged, too deep, etc. 3., you get better string alignment, (assuming the nut is cut right), and lastly, it contributes to better tuning stability, (my opinion/experience of course). I have the TP6R's on both my LP Standard and SG. And locking them down is also a bonus, of course.

Last edited:
Back