What’s an album you love but hate the tones ?

Great question. I have a few:

JP - Defenders of the faith - Why after so many albums with great tone did it turn to mud on this album?
IM - Somewhere in Time - washed out over chorused wimpy solid state Galien Krueger amps are to blame
Blizzard of Oz - I like RR’s tone on Diary and live stuff but this is absolutely horrid. Sounds like it was recorded in a shoebox, then put through a $39 flanger set to comb filter mode.
Have to disagree on Defenders. It sounds better to me than Screaming does. Then again I haven’t heard the original mixes/masters in forever. Defenders might be my favorite Priest album but it’s impossible for me to really pick one in the end.

I would add Mercyful Fate’s Don’t Break the Oath to the list. I love the album and while I guess I don’t HATE the tone, since it doesn’t necessarily get it the way of anything, it sucks compared to the classic pushed Marshall tones of Melissa and their demo stuff. Oath has a lot of these weird fizzy and chorused out tones on it.

Last edited:
Let’s also add…

Death - ITP I don’t necessarily think any Death album has particularly great guitar tones, but they generally seem serviceable in the mix and maybe were cool for their time (ie Leprosy) but ITP was, in my opinion, an important progression for Chuck songwriting wise but its one of their worst sounding albums.

The album sounds a little lo-fi and cloudy or dirty in general, like the mix wasn’t done poorly but something caused a degradation in the sound quality on the way to getting a master or something. But the guitar tone is really pretty bad. Chuck always had this thing for chorus effects and sometimes even phasers/flangers. It really made his guitars on this album annoying to listen to.

Cool thread.

It is pretty hard for me though to 'love' an album if I hate the tone. The tone has to be there or I'm not listening. Also, it goes to show how we are all different. I think Theater of Pain and Tooth and Nail have great tone, for example. If I had to pick something I guess I'd go with the early Beatles albums.

I must say I love his use your illusion tone . I also LOVE this tone here . Fucking crushing imo

I hear it being bad sometimes on Illusion but on some of the songs it sounds fantastic. That opening distorted G (were they 1/2 step down?) on Civil War and then the E chords sound real chunky and mean on the verses. Also dig the tone on Dead Horse and the Garden.

Cool thread.

It is pretty hard for me though to 'love' an album if I hate the tone. The tone has to be there or I'm not listening. Also, it goes to show how we are all different. I think Theater of Pain and Tooth and Nail have great tone, for example. If I had to pick something I guess I'd go with the early Beatles albums.
Ya I thought of them too .

I hear it being bad sometimes on Illusion but on some of the songs it sounds fantastic. That opening distorted G (were they 1/2 step down?) on Civil War and then the E chords sound real chunky and mean on the verses. Also dig the tone on Dead Horse and the Garden.
Don’t damn me and Locomotive have my two favorite tones . I had a Marshall VS 100 combo that could nail those tones . Cool little amp

Mastodon - Leviathan
Cardboardy drums, fuzzy scratchy guitars that sound like a Behringer pedal. Ugh.
Killer music, though, and I normally don't like Mastodon.
Mastodon - Leviathan
Cardboardy drums, fuzzy scratchy guitars that sound like a Behringer pedal. Ugh.
Killer music, though, and I normally don't like Mastodon.
The early mastodon tones were so bad they were good somehow. Just nasty

Let’s also add…

Death - ITP I don’t necessarily think any Death album has particularly great guitar tones, but they generally seem serviceable in the mix and maybe were cool for their time (ie Leprosy) but ITP was, in my opinion, an important progression for Chuck songwriting wise but its one of their worst sounding albums.

The album sounds a little lo-fi and cloudy or dirty in general, like the mix wasn’t done poorly but something caused a degradation in the sound quality on the way to getting a master or something. But the guitar tone is really pretty bad. Chuck always had this thing for chorus effects and sometimes even phasers/flangers. It really made his guitars on this album annoying to listen to.
He has a different tone that for sure . But I did end up loving the SOP tone

The first few lamb of god albums. Whimpiest tones ever
Fuck that. Those albums sound great, although very different. On the right system the remastered version of "As The Palaces Burn" is one of my all time favorite records, and I love that raw as fuck guitar tone they have on it.

Some of their later albums I don't care for the tone though.

Agreed. Horrible tone, but really unique leadwork. Wish more players aspired to standards like that for lead playing/writing
Alot of the lead work on Peace Sells was actually recorded with a Rockman into a fender twin or a Marshall. The main rhythms were recorded with Marshall's rented from Mike Soldano. I think the tone is great, especially "Devil's Island". Chris Poland's playing is phenomenal on that album.

I absolutely love the tones on cowboys , vulgar , and Trendkill . But not Far Beyond and Reinventing
Some of you guys are nuts. Far Beyond Driven is Pantera's best sounding album hands down, the guitars sound ripping.,

As far as tones I don't like on good albums... there's a lot of Black Sabbath records that have shitty tone IMO. The first two sound great, then Iommi's tone got progressively worse through the 70's.

Back