What’s an album you love but hate the tones ?

Just about everything Mastodon. Great albums, SHIT production. Current one is an improvement.

Symphony X, same. Romeo's tone was garbage on most albums, until he decided to use an Engl on the last couple. And the drummer's snare always sounded like hitting a cereal box.

Mastodon. Can’t hear individual guitar parts usually. Lower mids are too busy in the mixes.

Just about everything Mastodon. Great albums, SHIT production. Current one is an improvement.

Symphony X, same. Romeo's tone was garbage on most albums, until he decided to use an Engl on the last couple. And the drummer's snare always sounded like hitting a cereal box.
You think Crack The Skye has shit production?? That album sounds amazing. Whatchu you smoking man??

Both Greg Howe and Richie Kotzen's debut albums

Some of the most mindblowing playing ever recorded with the most horrid ice pick in the ear tone imaginable

The debut album of Whitecross. Full of killer tracks except that one shitty ballad, but the production is terrible due to low budget.

Did his wife ever get arrested? I remember there being extreme controversy over his death and most signs seemed to point to her being responsible
I don’t think so . It seems it all just faded away in terms of media reporting. I wonder if it’s still investigated

Fuck that. Those albums sound great, although very different. On the right system the remastered version of "As The Palaces Burn" is one of my all time favorite records, and I love that raw as fuck guitar tone they have on it.

Some of their later albums I don't care for the tone though.
I thought Sacrament and Wrath had solid tone and the remastered ATPB is fire. That album sounded terrible but had killer performances. For all the shit that happened, don’t think Devin got enough credit for pushing them and what they captured.

Every song the Beatles ever recorded.
LVqk659.jpg

Would agree with a lot of the suggestions here - eg: some GNR stuff, some of the Maiden stuff (esp. some of their live albums), later Zep and ….And Justice for All. That said, some of it (GNR and Maiden for example) work well in the mix, but when you zero in on the individual guitars it doesn’t sound good (to me at least). I’d throw a some of the ZZ Top albums in there too. I love their live tone (the Preliminator album and the Rockplast shows for example), but never enjoyed the recorded tones anywhere near as much

You think Crack The Skye has shit production?? That album sounds amazing. Whatchu you smoking man??
I think the production on that album is too dense. It makes the guitars less defined and muddy. It’s like everything is up front and in your face. No space for the instruments to breathe.

Back