Tone chasers ---did you ever notice you probably have everything you need...

Panhead5

I've been off work and going through every piece of gear I have . I can't imagine the amount of money I've spent over 40 years thinking and buying the next best thing out there. Well --- out of 20 plus guitars there's about 10 that sound great and I've had 8 them forever . Same with the amps . I have a few recent purchases but the 6 knob Marshall beauties trump them all so that's what I'm playing ---For now . I've unloaded a bunch of stuff with no regrets .

I decided if I practice more my gear will sound better LOL !!

Not sure how long with state of mind with last but I'm taking alot of GASX !!!!!

Ya, absolutely. To be honest, I don't really have much GAS these days, just the occasional pedal purchase or maybe a cheap beater guitar that I can bring back to life. As far as amps go, i'm done buying them... I think??

I did find when I obsessed about gear a lot my playing suffered a bit, or wouldn't progress at all. Now that I'm not buying much I have more time to worry about my playing.

Depends on the reason you're buying gear. If you're searching for the perfect tone you may never find it; there's always going to be something "better" on the horizon. The next greatest thing.

There's an alternate reason to chase gear, one that has nothing to do with tone. It's all about the experience.

One can go on a hike in their own back yard and be satisfied so why travel across the world to traverse a mountain? It's all about the experience of something different, not about the finding the perfect hike.

It can be the same with gear. It doesn't always have to be about hunting for gear that yields the perfect tone. It may all be about living in the moment of something new.

So one must look deep to ask themselves and answer honestly..... What is my reason?

I would even say as long as a guitar has a good pickup and a comfortable neck you can rip on, you don't even need an expensive axe.

Look at norum's pedalboard. He posted this a week ago. Boss ds-1 waza instead of taking his old " vintage" Boss on the road. All his pedals are easily found in most mom and pop stores. Tone is in the _ _ _ _ _

Screenshot_20230121_093754_Facebook.jpg

I think it is pretty sobering when you step back and look at your gear and realize you have better gear than your heroes did when they recorded the albums that inspire you for playing and tone to this day.
Like Sound City?
Ain’t nothin’ like that anymore.
Oh, I’d get on some of the Sunset gear..
the clean booger sugar..LOL!!..,
Nothing I have could match early Max Cavalera & Sepultura..Wall OF BEAST.
I know what you mean though,
-they don’t like to talk about gear, LTFOL!!!
What are we “gear herbs”?

It feels like the more pedals I buy the more I want a simpler rig.

All I really need between me and my 2203 is an SD-1. My TU-3, CE-5, Phase 90 and Echobrain round it out for 95% of the shit I play anyway. The rest of it is just nice-to-haves.

For sure, so many endless possibilities with the gear I have.

Hopping from piece of gear to the next piece of gear is so detrimental to your playing.

I played best when I had one guitar and one amp.

I look at gear that I want, but I don’t think it will give me a tone I can’t already get. Like all this stuff, at this point in my life it’s really the want to try something rather than the tone chasing.

JCM800.
Boost of your choice.
JB style humbucker.

Everything else is useless bullshit.

ymmv :p

This is mostly my go-to. My favorite amp at the moment is my Marshall 4010. I don't think it needs a boost. I've had Jalen build me about seven custom pups, which I coil-split. I keep looking for more and better, but I'm pretty happy with what I have. When Mrs. Lee is home, I still use my old GK 250ML for low volume practice, had since 1988. I'll never buy another practice amp .... except for the other 250ML I have at the tech right now.

Power amp, yes, 2/90/2 will prolly never be dethroned. But preamp, nope, can’t zero in on my tone without the Axe Fx’s flexibility but I dream of an analog version that does it. My speakers & cabs sound good but that’s still work in progress. My amp & I have a swinger relationship so I’ll try what others I can. Or more like master/slave, I do what I want and loan it out when I feel like it, heh

I've had him make me the Pinnacle in several variations. It's the EVH Frankenstein clone, but I get it in black/creme or even clear bobbin with four conductor wire for coil splitting. Great stuff.

Back