Elan Memran Metalhead Mod

Logic would say that since there’s around
280vdc or more running into that puck, there has to be some sort of capacitor in there that would then block the dc from making its way out. Or a resistor stepping the voltage down to power something lower voltage. Weird!

The shape just seems like the result of the convenience of pouring epoxy into a paper cup or something and then peeling the cup away once it dries.

It’s probably a Hot Mod inside there 🤣

There’s one of these for sale local to me. Let’s all pitch in, I’ll buy it and then break that puck open.

The ad claims “added bass boost.”

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/msg/d/rancho-cucamonga-marshall-jcm-metalhead/7570796782.html

Last edited:
I corrected my post. That circuit is between volume wiper and bass pot, not treble and bass. So it’s doing something to alter frequencies. The B+ is definitely a mystery.

What does the bass pot do when you pull it?

Hopefully there’s not 280vdc on that pot.
Normally that volume pot he’s attached it to is turned into volume and the one before it is turned into pregain but that’s only true if it’s cascaded 1959 and the volumes aren’t in parallel. But in this case since it looks like a stock 1959 back end with two stages in the front end, I wonder if his mod is running 4 stages of gain but in parallel of one another?

Logic would say that since there’s around
280vdc or more running into that puck, there has to be some sort of capacitor in there that would then block the dc from making its way out. Or a resistor stepping the voltage down to power something lower voltage. Weird!

The shape just seems like the result of the convenience of pouring epoxy into a paper cup or something and then peeling the cup away once it dries.

It’s probably a Hot Mod inside there 🤣

There’s one of these for sale local to me. Let’s all pitch in, I’ll buy it and then break that puck open.

The ad claims “added bass boost.”

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/msg/d/rancho-cucamonga-marshall-jcm-metalhead/7570796782.html
Damn that’s expensive. That’s getting up there in Cameron modded Marshall territory.

The Amp sounds awesome and doesn’t need any boost aside from solos.

This what glip22 said in a different thread:

LOL. There's more to it. It's an Elan Metalhead. Elan has an added tube that hits the circuit after the stock stages right before the cathode follower. This allows the amp to go from clean to mean with barely any volume loss better than any other mod I have played. When the pull pot is in the amp is fully stock. Literally, all stock , every part. The only difference is now the leads are shielded. The amp still ghosts a little when the added two gain stages are fully out of circuit so it is not the mod. I know Elans work, I have an 85 he did and I put the same mod in an 89 and it rips. I tweaked the circuit of course to my ear. Teh cathode caps he uses 22uf are too big. I will not alter the originals though.

I think it sounds like crap. Seriously.... and I'm listening through a good computer speaker system.
It’s really not a lot of gain for the amount of noise it has especially cranked up. You can either pull a lot of current through them or feed them a lot of voltage but you can’t do both as they won’t survive. Wizards are ingenious though because he makes up for it using artificial gain of clipping diodes.

Hey Everyone,

I have a 70s Marshall Superlead with the metalhead mod. Was wondering if anyone had any good info on these and how the volume knobs and extra knobs interact when the mod is engaged. Thanks in advance.
3 gain pots for the first 3 stages. Push/pull gain pot engages the added stages. Push/pull on the bass pot is a bass boost. Urinal cake is the noise gate, though I don't see a pot for it. Not setup like the others.

3 gain pots for the first 3 stages. Push/pull gain pot engages the added stages. Push/pull on the bass pot is a bass boost. Urinal cake is the noise gate, though I don't see a pot for it. Not setup like the others.
Thank you!

Thats kind of what I was looking for…. because volume 2 and the 2 added pots were not interacting like master volumes and more like gain knobs.

Do you own any of these?

Normally that volume pot he’s attached it to is turned into volume and the one before it is turned into pregain but that’s only true if it’s cascaded 1959 and the volumes aren’t in parallel. But in this case since it looks like a stock 1959 back end with two stages in the front end, I wonder if his mod is running 4 stages of gain but in parallel of one another?
Dude, I’m very impressed with your amplifier knowledge.
Great job of being a player and not boosting up your obvious amplifier technical skills.
Much appreciated.

Just curious, What exactly makes it sound like crap?

His tone is that overdriven Marshall most people are looking for.
Tone is not saturated, sounds sterile with no touch sensitivity and like a poor attempt to get high gain. The second he plays bark at the moon disappointment sets in. Of course I’m basing this on the video clip posted that the poster feels is a good representation of how it sounds. 🤷 It could sound completely different in the room.

I much prefer this sound. A simple stock JCM800 with a pedal out front. Has tone, saturation, touch sensitivity, etc.

Back