NGD: '68 Reissue Les Paul Custom

godgrinder

I've been looking into a post-2014 '68 LPC reissue for a while, which supposedly have more "correct" specs but there weren't a lot of them made. So I settled with this 2010 '68 LPC "Authentic". No idea what "Authentic" means, maybe it means the VOS finish which wasn't too common on older 68RI's. It's in very good shape, nearly brand new apart from the factory aging. Very light for an older '68, just a tiny bit over 9lbs.

First thing I noticed is the neck is huge, definitely not a 60’s profile. Probably closer to a '57 LPC. It has a bigger neck than my '55 LPC reissue (which has R9 neck profile). Sounding chunky so far but the 57 Classic pickups are pretty uninspiring. Probably gonna get some Suhr Aldrich or BKP Cold Sweat for it. Also have a set of Gotoh locking tuners on the way (hopefully it fits lol).

IMG_3913.jpg

Now I have all 3 major food groups of LPC: 50's (all mahogany), 60's (mahogany neck/body with maple top) and 70's (mahogany body, maple neck/maple top).
IMG_3926.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats man!
I love black LPC with chrome HW! (remove the PU covers or get the aldrich in black/black and its perfect imo :p)
Few years ago i was close to pull the trigger on a 68 reissue myself, but i couldn't get used to their ridiculous chunky necks, so i didn't.

BTW a friend lent me a pair of Aldrich but the hole has been drilled for direct mount. Any recommendation on how to mount it to a pickup ring?

I noticed the other two GEM’s you have pick guard’s removed. The new one is it pick guard on or off?

Last edited:
How is the T-Top? One of my LPCs (the one I keep in drop D) has an old Duncan Distortion and I love it. My other (that I keep in standard) has a 57 Classic which sounds fine but is not sufficiently metal. Not sure if I want another Distortion or something a bit different.

Awesome! I had one just like that and definitely miss it. Yeah those necks are chunky, but still comfortable imo. Mine was somewhere between a ‘59 and ‘58 carve. I yanked the ‘57 classic too lol. It wasn’t terrible, just a bit flabby tuned down with some gain. Anyway, congrats on the killer axe.

How is the T-Top? One of my LPCs (the one I keep in drop D) has an old Duncan Distortion and I love it. My other (that I keep in standard) has a 57 Classic which sounds fine but is not sufficiently metal. Not sure if I want another Distortion or something a bit different.
It’s still low output but voiced more aggressive/crunchy than 57 and Burstbucker. So I can make it work for high gain with a boost.

Back