Supportive gear?

PSGuitar

Ok I hope this isn't a silly topic.

I have a nervous system disorder that causes me issues with guitar playing, among other things. You'd never know unless I told you but it has an impact on me with fine motor movements and significant pain.
For this reason, I look for the most supportive gear possible. For example, forgiving amps, rather than dry amps so that I don't have to be ultra articulate Nad accurate. It really stresses me out at times but I do my best with the gear I have.
For this reason I look for guitars, pickups, amps, speakers and so on, that all help and support my playing.
My question is more around modelling gear vs tube.
Years ago I gigged a Line 6 Vetta and other modeling gear after the Vetta.
At some point I switched to tube amps like the Egnater Mod 50, VHT ST-50, modified Mesa DUAL Rec and Bogner 20th EL34 Shiva.
Last rig was the Shiva and Greenbacks with V30s. I sounded great.
I stopped playing for some time due to health issues and other life changes.
I'm back playing a lit now and my main amp is a Bogner 20th Shiva with KT88s and main speakers are Redbacks and Creambacks.
Does anyone feel that modeling gear is easier to play? More supportive or is that ridiculous? I know compression and effects like delay can have an impact.
Curious your thoughts and thanks for listening guys.
The last rig I had that felt good to play for me was my Shiva 20th Anniversary with EL34s.
Could the difference in feel be as simple as the power tubes? I love 6CA7 tubes and EL34s/E34Ls and used them for years. People tell me my tone seems bigger with the KT88 Shiva but I swear the amp felt better when I had the E34Ls.

Rich

Last edited:
Reactions: rsm
not silly at all. arthritis limits what I can do on guitar, so I do more keyboards now, and not so much shredding these days on guitar, focusing more on rhythm and even swing jazz playing...

hard to say what could work better for you. modeling has its' own set of challenges such as so many options / choices, deep parameters, adjusting for feel, etc.

that said, high end modelers like Fractal, Helix possibly others, may provide you will the parameters you need to fine tune amps and effects to meet your needs more easily than tube amps. Have a look at Fractal's documentation on amp and cab block parameters, there may be a few instructional videos.

As I write this, the more I think a high-end modeler with deep editing parameters might be a good option if you are willing to invest the time and effort to learn....

That said, if you have an audio interface, I highly recommend taking a look at Blue Cat Audio's Axiom software, which includes their destructor amp modeler that has deep editing parameters and visuals that allow you to tweak and adjust the preamp, amp, and postamp settings, best of all you can get a full featured demo version for free to experiment with to see if it works for you. It also includes cabs, mics and effects, not sure on third-party IRs - edit: it supports IRs now too!

I was on LSD sometime ago and conseptualized how I would make music if my basic functions (hands, feet) were taken from me. We live in an era now that even then, the ability to make music through visual recognition/perception translation exists and I find that absolutely amazing. The ability to create music being taken from anyone is one of lifes true crimes.

Thanks guys...

It really depresses me. I'm trying to get a new band of the ground and it's limiting me and making me sad.

I am still very physically capable and woek out all the time but guitar, especially lead is becoming a struggle. :(

Just typing here can hurt like hell. I love the feeling of a guitar in my hands and playing but my body is giving out. :(

Thanks for the tips on modeling.

I know back when I giggled the Vetta, I sounded great. Same with my previous Shiva.

I'm tempted to make a tube change back to my home base of EL34snbut I can't imagine that alone would be a game changer. I don't do as well with bright, high mid focused tones.

Has anyone had to drop to light gauge strings to accommodate pain and to facilitate easier bending?
I have always used 10s and 11s but it think I may drop to 9s and 10s depending on tuning.
Problem is severe wrist pain at times. I don't have issues bending heavy gauge and in fact, often it helps me with accuracy but my nervous system disorder causes too much etody pain.

Absolutely, modelers/SS amps/preamps are definitely easier to play/track faster than most if not every tube amp. The only tube amp I’ve played that rivals that fast tracking was a 2C S….no eq or reverb combo.

Thanks,
What do you mean by track faster and easier to play? What is your definition of easier? For me it is more about how it feels under the fingers and if the sound is more supportive. Not sure if that makes sense.

Thanks,
What do you mean by track faster and easier to play? What is your definition of easier? For me it is more about how it feels under the fingers and if the sound is more supportive. Not sure if that makes sense.
Have you tried MSM (glucosamine & chondroitin) ?

Has anyone had to drop to light gauge strings to accommodate pain and to facilitate easier bending?
I have always used 10s and 11s but it think I may drop to 9s and 10s depending on tuning.
Problem is severe wrist pain at times. I don't have issues bending heavy gauge and in fact, often it helps me with accuracy but my nervous system disorder causes too much etody pain.
I would abosultely drop in gauge if it helps you. I play 10's on my 24 3/4 scale and 9.5s on my 25.5 scale guitars and as I age, I am considering dropping to 9.5s and 9s respectively. Do what keeps you playing as much as possible!

Can't answer your question but sorry to hear this fellow rig brother. I would say a lower gauge string is a good start. Also, no offense but if you have Shiva's and a PRS amp and are considering getting another high end high gainer then you can afford to dip into the modelling world so you can see for yourself. There was a a FM8 in the classifieds just the other day for a fair price. :yes:

Thanks,
Man, RSD is a tough one. I have a friend that has it; unfortunately many docs think it’s a psych issue vs a real pain disorder. She has a gun safe full of heavy pain meds.
I sent you a msg…^^^^R/T your post.

I should add that I went down to .8 gauge 5 yrs ago when I started to get some joint pain. 10s for 20 yrs, then 9s for my last 10 yrs gigging now 8s. Helped a ton. Under high gain the tone doesn’t really change that much; adds some upper mids.

Can't answer your question but sorry to hear this fellow rig brother. I would say a lower gauge string is a good start. Also, no offense but if you have Shiva's and a PRS amp and are considering getting another high end high gainer then you can afford to dip into the modelling world so you can see for yourself. There was a a FM8 in the classifieds just the other day for a fair price. :yes:
I hear ya but I bought those amps after saving up and using bonus money. Lol.
None at the moment so use have to sell some gear.
That said, I hear you.
I thought the FM9 was considered a lot better than the FM8.

Man, RSD is a tough one. I have a friend that has it; unfortunately many docs think it’s a psych issue vs a real pain disorder. She has a gun safe full of heavy pain meds.
I sent you a msg…^^^^R/T your post.

I should add that I went down to .8 gauge 5 yrs ago when I started to get some joint pain. 10s for 20 yrs, then 9s for my last 10 yrs gigging now 8s. Helped a ton. Under high gain the tone doesn’t really change that much; adds some upper mids.
I hear ya. Mine is bad enough that my left arm sells up like a balloon and turns purple. When it gets that bad nits hard to play. I had nerve surgery that triggered it.
Sucks, never had a complaint about pain in my life and pride myself on being in shape and pain free. I then have nerve surgery and all hell breaks lose.
Within a week, my arm swells up, turns blue, purple, mottled, etc. Pain in the arse.

Thanks man... You sent me a message?

I hear ya. Mine is bad enough that my left arm sells up like a balloon and turns purple. When it gets that bad nits hard to play. I had nerve surgery that triggered it.
Sucks, never had a complaint about pain in my life and pride myself on being in shape and pain free. I then have nerve surgery and all hell breaks lose.
Within a week, my arm swells up, turns blue, purple, mottled, etc. Pain in the arse.

Thanks man... You sent me a message?
Yep you’ve already read them.

Taking a break from playing, just a few days might help too.

wow
that sucks
lawsuit?
incoming wizard :D

I definitely did a couple years ago. Carpel tunnel and crazy joint pain, I worked in restaurants for over 20 years, carrying trays, holding tongs, etc, just did a number on my wrists. I switched to 9’s and added a little neck relief to take off some tension in my guitars. While a diet change resolved the joint pain for me, I went back up to 10’s but kept the tension off the necks so everything plays like butter now.

As for the modeler aspect, there’s definitely some ways to dial them in to make them more ’forgivable’ and some pretty cool ways to do it without sacrificing much in the tonal department. IE- Every amp in Fractal land has an Input Boost option, it’s basically an OD with the dirt turned down and the volume cranked, you can even pick from a list of several popular OD’s/Boosts. They’re quite transparent, depending on the model you select, so the tone of the amp isn’t changing much, but you can get some more sustain/squishy-ness out of them.

Or you could just put a Drive in the front, mimicing an actual pedal and tweak it all you want. Every Drive pedal is it’s own EQ, separate from the physical knobs that would be on the pedal. So say you really dig TS9’s but don’t like the mid bump, you can just EQ it out right from the Drive block itself, no additional EQ’s.

Mark Day has also dealt with a lot of health issues in recent years that probably effect him quite a bit in a similar fashion (he’s public about it so I don’t think he’d mind me saying it) but he’s had Parkinson’s popping up in recent years. He’s a really, really good dude and I don’t think he’d be bothered if you reached out to him via FB or YouTube to ask him some thoughts on it. He converted to Fractal well before the Parkinson’s, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s done a few things to lend a hand since developing it.

Good luck, man!

Rev,

Thanks bro.

I remember Mark Day. How do you think I could reach Mark? Facebook?

So adding relief takes that much tension off? That's a good point. I used to run more relief but lately I've been running my guitars with the neck very straight.

My main amp now is a Bogner Shiva 20th with KT88s.

Back