Tone chasers ---did you ever notice you probably have everything you need...

I don't play brutal AF metal, so I really couldn't say. :ROFLMAO:

I play VH, Nuno type stuff - that's about as brutal as I get.

Mine is a "homebrew" JCM800 circuit I built inside the chassis of an old 1989 Laney 100W

I've done the same with an old Pro Tubes 88'.. a few minor tweaks on toggle switches and it sounds phenomenal.

2020 was the year I got my home studio set up so I had everything I wanted to create the music I want to create and all from a sitting position in front of my computer. I still bought more guitars and gear in the last year and a half than I have my previous 30 years of playing. Now it’s not about “necessity” and it’s more about just having fun. My Gilmour Strat was made as kind of a novetly thing; I just figured I’d use it when playing along to Floyd songs, I didn’t expect it to turn into one of my main players. Same goes with both the Orville and Edwards LP’s I just bought. Didn’t have a need for them, just figured I didn’t have that tonal base covered yet and wanted to, now they’re all I’m playing.

Gear is fun. I’ve got no kids, am done with relationships, I live in South Florida so hookers and blow became old hat in my 20’s, now I just want to smoke weed, play metal riffs and buy lots of gear.

I'll go through spells where I buy & sell some gear, and then I'll go years hardly looking at something new.

With the exception of some recording-related stuff, I've had everything I honestly need to play music for well over 15 years now. I like getting new gear because it's fun.

“It’s not the destination it’s the journey.”

I have WAY too much stuff but I realized I’m not searching for grail tone or a magic guitar or pickup or my ultimate rig…I just like fucking around with guitar gear. From building to modding to buying to trying…I just like guitar gear.

I’m like the alcoholic that still makes it to work every day and never gets a DUI. I have a problem but it’s not a problem. :loco:

Never really chased tthe tone /gear so much. It was more just trying to get what I was looking for…a JCM800 with a boost just wasn’t it.

I like all the flavors. I can never really say I dislike a piece of gear because it’s not my cup of tea, I just simply think it sucks for what it is lol, so that makes my quest a lot harder. It can seem endless to try all the stuff, but I’m a lot closer now

Last edited:
For sure. I have been through most stuff two or three times buying and selling. It was fun and yes it was expensive. Thanks to Ebay back in the day. For the most part I have determined what I like in guitars and amps and don’t seem to get GAS that often but when I do I just go play the stuff I have or watch some good videos of the equipment I have and BINGO cured.

I am right back to my old Les Paul, two best JMP Marshalls, (1959 and 2204) one old 4x12 bottom, a tuner, a wah, and KOT.

Last edited:
My playing has gone to shit since this last episode of GAS. I spend way too much time fucking around with pedals, pickups, different amps/cabs than I do practicing.

This is something I never understood with so many guys as I’m the complete opposite.. any new piece of gear I buy I have to try it with every guitar/amp/cab combo I have which usually leads to new riffs and ideas. I hardly ever play the same combo of gear for more than a day, I think it helps keeping me playing more

This is something I never understood with so many guys as I’m the complete opposite.. any new piece of gear I buy I have to try it with every guitar/amp/cab combo I have which usually leads to new riffs and ideas. I hardly ever play the same combo of gear for more than a day, I think it helps keeping me playing more
This is exactly how it’s been for me as well. I let the gear shape me a little bit rather than being one of those guys that sounds the same no matter what they play

Give us your secret rig then ! We know you can play !
Thanks. No secret really…just my Wizard MC1, a cab using my Anderson Hollow Cobra and a couple pedals.

Can get something similar with an old plexi, load box, fx and power amp. But who has time and the back for all that 😁

Maybe I should rephrase this. My picking hand is still solid and I can still riff like always. I just haven't recorded/remembered/written any new material in over 2 years. I have a few friends that are in touring bands that are just waiting on me to get some stuff written so we can record some tunes. Due to my amp flipping, pedal buying, etc, I haven't put forth the time or effort to concentrate on getting stuff written.

I've gathered a large amount of gear over the years (decades) too. I've also changed music focus several times over this time, which means selling some gear, buying new gear for the transition. I'm finally at a relatively stable point, selling gear I no longer need and buying gear that does what I need.

I have a few pieces of gear to sell, and a few amps and guitars I may buy, but my current focus is on completing a small, portable, silent-stage rig

Back