Talk to me about the Elmwood Modena M60

MadAsAHatter

I've come across the Elmwood name here and there, but never paid it much mind. Came across a listing for a Modena M60 and decided to look into it a bit more. What I got so far is that Elmwood was a Swedish company that is no longer in existence and their amps were comparatively expensive for the times. Most clips are pretty old, but Johan Segeborn has a good one from 6 years ago that says it's a mix between Mesa & Marshall. To me it sounds pretty good, but clips only go so far.

What else can you guys tell me about Elmwood in general and specifically about the M60? sound? build quality? features? Any experiences from owners and do you still have it? or if not what made you sell?

Don't have any first hand knowledge but I've always liked the clips and wanted to try one. From what I remember, they seemed to be pretty well built.

Never played one myself but I remember them being a pretty hot item on here and HCAF for a while back in the day

Never played one, but based on what I’ve heard from others and clips I heard a while ago, I remember it seeming like a more smooth, polite, dark amp, kinda like the XTC’s. Maybe it’s different in person

Built like a tank
I had a 3100 was pretty rare
Mesa /Marshall blend smooth polite darkish sounds right.
The 3100 wanted to be cranked to sound good, I have heard to 60/90 had good master volumes.

Had the M90, kt88, great clean channel lots of gainon the drive channel, seperate boost volume or drive boost, can't remember without looking at the front panel. Was a very great sounding amp. I'd love to have had the 60 with the 34s. Had a very good loop with a mix control.

I had a M60. Great amp. But nothing super unique sounding. I thought about getting another at one point, but not sure if repair would be a PITA if ever needed since they are defunct. I remember a lot of ribbon cables inside.

I had a friend that had one and only played it a couple times it was the 90 but very versatile especially if you use the volume knob on your guitar. Great sounding amp very articulate. I haven't seen one for sale for a while but the last couple I saw were actually pretty good prices and I think that's because a lot of people don't know what they are.

A friend of mine had the 60.I bought the 3100 and 90.At the time,they were 3400- 3800.Very sought after at one time.My 90 dethroned a kt 88 Shiva 20th in a shootout once.The 3100 is a wild beast of a thing.Hot rodded marshall tones and then some.

I had one of the red-stained birch M 60s. The descriptions above are pretty much spot on...I never gelled with mine, though, and thought it was too compressed. I don't believe I'm alone in that assessment either -- people on this board were trying them and flipping left and right back in the 2009-2010 time frame.

An excellent amp for sure; just not for me.

So what I'm getting so far is that in general it's a pretty decent amp; smooth and a bit dark, maybe a little too hi-fi or compressed for some. It's comparable at least in overall quality to other high gainers like Bogner. That sound about right?

So what kind of hi-fi/compression are we talking? Would it be comparable to what you would get from the big name German amps; Diezel, ENGL, H&K?

I do not know much about them but still want a 3100. It is still one of the few amps I G.A.S. for but I have never seen one for sale. If someone has one or a lead on one, hit me up.

Back