Recording quality amp clips

LickliterAmps

I am an amp builder and modifier and I need a simple and to the point method of recording clips. I have a Fryette Power Station to utilize if needed. What is the best and easiest way to get my amp tones to audio clip. What interface and equipment do I need to accomplish this?
Thank you in advance.

If you are going for high quality clips that showcase your amps with the idea of selling more amps then what these guys said is correct. A proper SM57 and cab(s)/speaker(s) will be a minimum. I actually used a Line 6 UX1 and Pod Farm for the rest it was decent. Today's stuff is better. Focusrite would be good entry level platform. I don't have patience for all this set up stuff but then, I'm not building and selling amps. For a quick "inroom" recording that still sounds decent I got a Zoom Q2n4K. You turn it on and then press record (onto a SD card).

VESmedic will be able to give you other/better microphones and tricks to try.

Greenback or V30, SM57, nothing else IMO. Fuck all other speakers for demos lol. No post EQ, no reverb. Just track the shit and let her rip. If you go the full production route and EQ, be sure to not just post the mixed audio, but unprocessed soloed out guitar tracks too. Personally I straight up ignore any "full mix" clips as a signifier of how that amp is going to sound in the real world. It's entertaining and I do like hearing how an amp will sit, but it's gotten to the point that people literally make anything sound great and it misleads buyers. Honestly any of the affordable 2-input interfaces are pretty great. So for like maybe 500 bucks, you could find a decent interface, an SM57, and mic cable. All you need honestly. Download Reaper but Garageband works too if you have a mac, if you don't already use PT or something that you're familiar with.

Since you already have the Power Station, you can load down your amp with that. Then line out to an audio interface. For a budget interface I recommend Audient like the ID14.

You can use a free DAW like Reaper to then apply an IR (cab emulation) to your signal. You can find free IR's online, pretty sure Celestion has a free V30. Then maybe a few EQ tweaks and you're done.

The mic on a real cab will ultimately give you better results if you put the time in. Load box/IR is easier and you already have the PS.

Since you already have the Power Station, you can load down your amp with that. Then line out to an audio interface. For a budget interface I recommend Audient like the ID14.

You can use a free DAW like Reaper to then apply an IR (cab emulation) to your signal. You can find free IR's online, pretty sure Celestion has a free V30. Then maybe a few EQ tweaks and you're done.

The mic on a real cab will ultimately give you better results if you put the time in. Load box/IR is easier and you already have the PS.
Yep.

The only reason to opt for a reactive load/line-out is a situation where you cannot open up the amp due to volume/noise complaints.

Yeah, I would think if you want your amp to be captured like most realistically, I would use an actual mic and not IR's. Plus it comes off as a lot more professional if actually take the time to mic a cab up.

It's honestly not that hard. Mic all 4 speakers in a 4x12, find whichever sounds best, and go from there. Put the SM57 in the sweet spot, which tends to be close to the same in most Celestions since most of them have the same diamater voice coil and many of them have teh same dustcap size (dustcap meets the cone, about an inch away). Tweak the position if you feel like it. But honestly, if the recording is not sounding at least usable in that position with the usual suspect speakers (V30's or Greenbacks), then you need to go back and re-approach the way you set the amp.

Yeah, I would think if you want your amp to be captured like most realistically, I would use an actual mic and not IR's. Plus it comes off as a lot more professional if actually take the time to mic a cab up.

It's honestly not that hard. Mic all 4 speakers in a 4x12, find whichever sounds best, and go from there. Put the SM57 in the sweet spot, which tends to be close to the same in most Celestions since most of them have the same diamater voice coil and many of them have teh same dustcap size (dustcap meets the cone, about an inch away). Tweak the position if you feel like it. But honestly, if the recording is not sounding at least usable in that position with the usual suspect speakers (V30's or Greenbacks), then you need to go back and re-approach the way you set the amp.
I still would love to hear the cab and mic too . IRs are too colorful when it comes to showing the amp sounds off .

Simple sm57 on a 4x12 to start out with, mic into an interface into reaper or whatever

Start out with it between one and 3 inches, straight on the cone, and then experiment with offsetting it to the edge, etc.

Cheap, easy, and gives everyone a baseline.

Once you get your feet wet, THEN start dicking with IRs - you'll understand what you're doing with them much better

A mistake a lot of new people to recording make, is starting out with IRs without developing any mic skills or their ears

You can always tell these folks because they always use the same IRs and sound super generic, especially on YouTube 😂

DONT start messing with multiple mics until you put your time in with just a 57, either

You'll just get confused and overcomplicate things

Keep it simple to start

I would honestly start with the "sweet spot" mic position, personally. It's certainly not the be all end all, but it's the go-to for a reason, especially with an SM57 and a V30 or a Greenback. Plus it gives other people a point of reference since that's what the majority of the people use.

They can be used to get great tones on recording but showing off amps colors they so much they sound so close . Not good for showing true colors of the amp . So I definitely agree
That’s what I meant. I a newb with recording, but I find also that we’re so accustomed to hearing an SM57 that recording only using mics very different can also be a little misleading. Like when I tried using just my Royer 122V, it sounded pretty good (besides being so dark), but didn’t really imo sound like what I was hearing in the room. Seemed to work best in smaller doses combined with the 57. A little seems to go a long way with it

Thanks for all the information. It looks like the best scenario is a good quality DAW with a SM57 placed on V30 and/or greenbacks: I may give the Zoom recorder a try as I get the recording station set up. It is time to capture some tones!

Back