First 4x12! Opinions Wanted

jbru91

Hey everyone,

I've beefed up my amp collection recently. I have a late 90's Bogner 101b, Fryette Deliverance D60 I, and a Friedman BE100 DLX in my collection and have been using them through a Mesa Recto 2x12 with V30s in it. I've been thinking about getting a 4x12. I've only heard good things about the Bogner cabs (would match the head I have too) but am open to suggestions on some options that people favour. I mainly play 80's / 90's rock to metal. Let me know of some suggestions for cabs and speakers configurations people favour here. Some options I've been looking at (straight or angled).
  • Bogner 4x12 with V30s
  • Friedman 4x12 with V30s & Greenbacks
  • Fryette Cab Fat Bottom 4x12 with Fane F70s
  • Soldano 4x12 with V30s
  • Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12T-75s
Let me know what you think and any other options you would suggest,

Jesse

Last edited:
To be honest with you everything you have listed is going to sound great! I love Bogner cabinets but I hate v30s that's just my own preference. You're not going to go wrong I would get whatever you can afford. Wherever you live I would just check Craigslist and see what you can come up with or also run a want to buy thread on Craigslist I've had a lot of luck doing that

I'm loving my Diezels through a Mesa 2x12 with V30s, together with my 440 Live 2x12 with G12k100s.
My Engl does not sound good with that V30/K100 speaker combo, but prefers my Marshall 1960A with G12T75s.
My Diezels don't sound great through the Marshall 1960A.

So, it comes down to what will sound great with those amps.
The Friedman cab has a mix of V30s & 25w Greenbacks.
That might sound amazing with those amps.

But you can't go wrong with a 1960A either.
they retain their value really well, and sound great with most amps.

Also, Bogner has the UberKab which features V30s and T75s in an X-pattern.
I'm building a 4x12 cab like it for my Engl Invader 2

You could always get a second 2x12 with V30s or another speaker type,
and just run 2 cabs at once. That what I did.

Congrats on the new amps, especially the Bogner.
Here's a cool thread that was just posted about the elusive Bogner Amp EQ
https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/thre...-also-nad-bogner-content.260833/#post-3020506

Depends what sound you’re looking for. Speakers can alter your tone greatly. Out of those I dig the Fryette with fanes the most. I absolutely do not like the t-75s… they sound like shit to me, and take a ton of work to sound good on a recording.

Check this out.

• Friedman 4x12 with V30s & Greenbacks

That's the one. All 3 amps you mention love greenbacks, they sound incredible with those speakers. I own a 101B and Deliverance 60 and can confirm that. The BE100D is basically a very modded, very advanced Marshall, so of course it’s going to love greenbacks as well. : )

Also, the V30‘s loaded into the bottom of that cab will give you extra body and chunk, along with a more versatile set of options if you want to mic the cab up and record with it. And, the fact that the V30‘s are loaded in the bottom row of the cab means you’re not going to hear too much of the harsh in-the-room nature of those speakers, just the tight low end, which is perfect for that. Plus, Friedman makes awesome cabs in general, construction and tone-wise.

Last edited:
As long as you stick with a cab that has standard 30x30x14 dimensions and solid construction you'll be fine. Just make sure it's made of ply and not MDF. MDF sucks and won't hold up for the long haul.

All of the cabs you listed are good solid ones. From there it's all about the speakers that are in it.

For me personally I'd build something; which I have done. For you, hit up the used market and see what's out there. 412's are harder to sell off because of their size and weight so you'll probably be able to find a good deal locally.

I love straight front 4x12s. Something about the added thump and punch of all 4 speakers moving air in the same plane of direction. Splawn makes a ‘hybrid’ top/ angled cab that uses a straight baffle rather than an angled baffle but tilts the baffle from front to back. So you get the look of a top/angled cab with the punch of a straight front and a nice upward angle so the cab isn’t just blasting the backs of your pants.

https://www.splawnguitars.com/images/spl41206slantsnake700.gif
As far as speakers, I have found that Vintage 30s - with their 60 watt handling capability - pair extremely well with 65 Watt Creambacks. The V 30s are a bit smoother and more ‘modern’ sounding and the 65 Cream brings in some of the vintage flavored mids and fullness. To my ear, the 75 watt cream sounds closer to the V30 and doesn’t bring as much of a complimentary frequency flavor to the overall mix as the 65 cream.

I'm loving my Diezels through a Mesa 2x12 with V30s, together with my 440 Live 2x12 with G12k100s.
My Engl does not sound good with that V30/K100 speaker combo, but prefers my Marshall 1960A with G12T75s.
My Diezels don't sound great through the Marshall 1960A.

So, it comes down to what will sound great with those amps.
The Friedman cab has a mix of V30s & 25w Greenbacks.
That might sound amazing with those amps.

But you can't go wrong with a 1960A either.
they retain their value really well, and sound great with most amps.

Also, Bogner has the UberKab which features V30s and T75s in an X-pattern.
I'm building a 4x12 cab like it for my Engl Invader 2

You could always get a second 2x12 with V30s or another speaker type,
and just run 2 cabs at once. That what I did.

Congrats on the new amps, especially the Bogner.
Here's a cool thread that was just posted about the elusive Bogner Amp EQ
https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/thre...-also-nad-bogner-content.260833/#post-3020506

I saw this article. That is very helpful. I was kind of going down the same path when I was playing with tone knobs on the 101b. I was able to get it to not sound muddy / muffled and had pretty good attack to it.

I love straight front 4x12s. Something about the added thump and punch of all 4 speakers moving air in the same plane of direction. Splawn makes a ‘hybrid’ top/ angled cab that uses a straight baffle rather than an angled baffle but tilts the baffle from front to back. So you get the look of a top/angled cab with the punch of a straight front and a nice upward angle so the cab isn’t just blasting the backs of your pants.

https://www.splawnguitars.com/images/spl41206slantsnake700.gif
As far as speakers, I have found that Vintage 30s - with their 60 watt handling capability - pair extremely well with 65 Watt Creambacks. The V 30s are a bit smoother and more ‘modern’ sounding and the 65 Cream brings in some of the vintage flavored mids and fullness. To my ear, the 75 watt cream sounds closer to the V30 and doesn’t bring as much of a complimentary frequency flavor to the overall mix as the 65 cream.
I've heard good things about the V30 & Creamback mix.

Reactions: PDC
Back