First 4x12! Opinions Wanted

I can comment on the Fat Bottom 4x12 since I got one recently. The P50e’s were not bad but not my thing so I replaced them with EVM12L’s/CL80/ET90. The name is misleading, the cab is mega tight and not very resonant. Had to turn down the presence and up the depth on the power amp. Amp was previously EQ’d for an Avatar Traditional 4x12 so I had to boost lows & low mids and cut high mids.

9 out of 10 times I can guess how a new piece of gear will do in the mix, this time I was off, I thought the cab sounded kind of weird on its own but it sits great in a live mix. Couple of times I was lagging behind the drummer on some fast riffs and this cab will let you know right away due to the high end presence on pick attack. Both cabs played at once, the Avatar delivers the low end resonance & low mids that the Fatbottom is lacking and the Fatbottom delivers the high mids, presence & tightness that the Avatar lacks. With just guitar & drums the Fatbottom by itself is kind of lacking resonant low end but maybe that would change with bass guitar in the mix. Now I really want to try a Deliverance 4x12.

OP, if this is your first 4x12, know that the Fatbottom is rather unique tonally, for better or worse.

I can comment on the Fat Bottom 4x12 since I got one recently. The P50e’s were not bad but not my thing so I replaced them with EVM12L’s/CL80/ET90. The name is misleading, the cab is mega tight and not very resonant. Had to turn down the presence and up the depth on the power amp. Amp was previously EQ’d for an Avatar Traditional 4x12 so I had to boost lows & low mids and cut high mids.

9 out of 10 times I can guess how a new piece of gear will do in the mix, this time I was off, I thought the cab sounded kind of weird on its own but it sits great in a live mix. Couple of times I was lagging behind the drummer on some fast riffs and this cab will let you know right away due to the high end presence on pick attack. Both cabs played at once, the Avatar delivers the low end resonance & low mids that the Fatbottom is lacking and the Fatbottom delivers the high mids, presence & tightness that the Avatar lacks. With just guitar & drums the Fatbottom by itself is kind of lacking resonant low end but maybe that would change with bass guitar in the mix. Now I really want to try a Deliverance 4x12.

OP, if this is your first 4x12, know that the Fatbottom is rather unique tonally, for better or worse.
This is very insightful. I appreciate it man.

Friedman cab with V30/GB all the way. All of your amps will bond so well with that combo, especially the 101B.

The Marshall BV was a good suggestion as well but thanks to the huge increase in import fees that raised the prices of these things brand new, the used market for them isn't as cheap as it was. I haven't seen a decent deal for one in a long time.

• Friedman 4x12 with V30s & Greenbacks

That's the one. All 3 amps you mention love greenbacks, they sound incredible with those speakers. I own a 101B and Deliverance 60 and can confirm that. The BE100D is basically a very modded, very advanced Marshall, so of course it’s going to love greenbacks as well. : )

Also, the V30‘s loaded into the bottom of that cab will give you extra body and chunk, along with a more versatile set of options if you want to mic the cab up and record with it. And, the fact that the V30‘s are loaded in the bottom row of the cab means you’re not going to hear too much of the harsh in-the-room nature of those speakers, just the tight low end, which is perfect for that. Plus, Friedman makes awesome cabs in general, construction and tone-wise
Wouldn't the Greenbacks being around 95db sensitivity vs V30's 100db sensitivity mean that the greenbacks would be dominated by the V30's volume wise? So it would be the v30's that you'd hear the most, right??

I used to have a Avatar cab with V30's and T75's and the V30's really dominated the sound of that cab and there's only a 3db difference between those speakers. The V30's have a lot more mid presence too.

Wouldn't the Greenbacks being around 95db sensitivity vs V30's 100db sensitivity mean that the greenbacks would be dominated by the V30's volume wise? So it would be the v30's that you'd hear the most, right??

I used to have a Avatar cab with V30's and T75's and the V30's really dominated the sound of that cab and there's only a 3db difference between those speakers. The V30's have a lot more mid presence too.

If the greenbacks and V30’s were mounted left / right then yeah it would sound weird, but it’s for the exact reasons you laid out that the V30’s are mounted on the bottom row of the cab. They are basically aimed at your feet, while the greenbacks are much more likely to actually make it directly to your ears. Also, while the differences between the volumes of those speaker types are audible, they’re not exactly extreme. The V30’s are a bit louder, but they’re not THAT much louder. They actually end up blending very well in a single 4x12 and you usually end up hearing the two types of speakers pretty much equally due to the more “ear direct” aim and slightly closer proximity of the greenbacks to your ears.

Agreed. This is why I like my Fatbottom a lot for modern stuff. Very tight, fast, direct, punchy, not as big sounding as my other cabs but imo not small either. They gave the cab its name on Opposite Day

All solid options. You may also like a Diezel 412FL fwiw. I’ve had my Fatbottom & Diezel 412FL loaded with the same speakers and they sounded similar. The Diezel just sounded a little fatter & darker. A little less tight, but not by that much

Fane has more smoother mids and high than v30. I think fane f70 and v30 are very different. I highly recommend Fryette cab with fane speakers. It is my go to cab. All my amps sound fantastic with this cab. It is hard to find though.
Yep . Can never find one

Bogner v30/GB is what I rock these days. I remove that foam batting crap off the back panel.

Also you can't go wrong with a marshall 1960av, or bv

The Freidman cab is great too.

You can't compare Marshall to Bogner or Mesa. The glued front panel makes a big difference. I have at least 5 BV cabs beside Bogner and they are usable but nowhere as good sounding.
Friedman is Bogner cab without bating.

There was a time when I had a labyrinth
of 4X12’s all amongst my house, it was cool man.
For me, it’s all about the room with 4X12’s,
open it up, it might be bright sitting there but
in the basement..it heats up the whole f’n house.
For me?
Get exactly what you want, go custom and go Zilla., that dude RULES!!,
Check them out.

You need to know first what speakers you like. Listen to YouTube videos of V30s vs G75s. Also consider that V30s might cut through a band mix better.

Marshall BV, Marshall BX, or Friedman cab will scratch the itch nicely. You’ll like the v30/ greenback combo.

Agreed. This is why I like my Fatbottom a lot for modern stuff. Very tight, fast, direct, punchy, not as big sounding as my other cabs but imo not small either. They gave the cab its name on Opposite Day
The original 4x12 VHT cabinets came loaded with V30s and were even tighter/stiffer. Ridiculously so. Internally the speakers were sealed off from each other (can't remember if it was all of them or only the two pairs). The cab was redesigned early on for a slightly fatter tone/response and renamed the FatBottom, because it became somewhat fatter sounding. This is long before the Deliverance cab, which went further in that direction. A Mesa C+ amp into that old VHT cab had ZERO bloom to it, almost made it sound like a solid state amp.

The original 4x12 VHT cabinets came loaded with V30s and were even tighter/stiffer. Ridiculously so. Internally the speakers were sealed off from each other (can't remember if it was all of them or only the two pairs). The cab was redesigned early on for a slightly fatter tone/response and renamed the FatBottom, because it became somewhat fatter sounding. This is long before the Deliverance cab, which went further in that direction. A Mesa C+ amp into that old VHT cab had ZERO bloom to it, almost made it sound like a solid state amp.
Oh wow even tighter. Mine is a vht one that I actually put v30’s in (bought it unloaded). Will have to check out how it is internally. Even the way mine is I hear something almost like that when I play my c+ into it. Would be interesting to hear those first ones

Back