Most overrated Guitarist on the Internet

Literally all of them. At least in my field of classical guitar, the most popular ones on social media are far from the best and not as relevant in real life or having the best gigs

I think to be successful on the internet you gotta master cheap tricks/gimmicks or be entertaining/charismatic. It’s not as much about guitar skill

Last edited:
Literally all of them. At least in my field of classical guitar, the most popular ones on social media are far from the best and not as relevant in real life or having the best gigs

I think to successful on the internet you gotta master cheap tricks/gimmicks or be entertaining/charismatic. It’s not as much about actual guitar skill
Which Bach piece do you enjoy playing the most ? You can play JS Bach right ?

Which Bach piece do you enjoy playing the most ? You can play JS Bach right ?
Yes. I don’t play as much Bach these days (more Scarlatti), but my favorite one to play right now is the prelude from his 6th cello suite (BWV1012). I find many of his cello & violin pieces translate better on guitar imo vs others. I tried learning years ago the fugue from BWV914 (keyboard piece) and that was by far the hardest piece I ever attempted lol. Made toccata by Rodrigo seem easy in comparison lol

Yes. I don’t play as much Bach these days (more Scarlatti), but my favorite one to play right now is the prelude from his 6th cello suite (BWV1012). I find many of his cello & violin pieces translate better on guitar imo vs others. I tried learning years ago the fugue from BWV914 (keyboard piece) and that was by far the hardest piece I ever attempted lol. Made toccata by Rodrigo seem easy in comparison lol
Nice . I agree on the translation from cello to guitar . I play the
Violin Partita in B Minor and D Minor is genius .. but playing fugue style on guitar is the real beauty and art

Most great YouTube players decline due to popularity and ambition to be virtuosos. After they get popular playing metal or rock, next thing you know they're off playing contemporary blues or jazz fusion and start sounding boring. In fact, it's gotten so bad that no matter how talented, blues has become boring because of them. That's why talented players like Josh Smith come along and capture my attention because he's not trying to be a virtuoso jazz/blues legend. He just sticks to his meat and potatoes and is really good at it. I wish Paul Gibert would have just stuck to rock because even he has started sounding a little obnoxious with the whole blues slide thing to be honest. Steve Vai sort of went so far beyond the elevated virtuoso with a visually-overemphasized vibrato that he became a bore. Then he goes back to his roots and blew us all away with his newer instrumental rock tracks.
Sure, they have to make a living playing and that depends a lot on popularity, but at some point, a departure from the inclinations of their natural talent almost always becomes stale.
On the opposite extreme are guys like Yngwie who was so, so good at what he used to do but got permanently stuck in the whole deedle-deedle-deedle shred thing that I don't think he can ever compose on the level of Rising Force anymore.

Most great YouTube players decline due to popularity and ambition to be virtuosos. After they get popular playing metal or rock, next thing you know they're off playing contemporary blues or jazz fusion and start sounding boring. In fact, it's gotten so bad that no matter how talented, blues has become boring because of them. That's why talented players like Josh Smith come along and capture my attention because he's not trying to be a virtuoso jazz/blues legend. He just sticks to his meat and potatoes and is really good at it. I wish Paul Gibert would have just stuck to rock because even he has started sounding a little obnoxious with the whole blues slide thing to be honest. Steve Vai sort of went so far beyond the elevated virtuoso with a visually-overemphasized vibrato that he became a bore. Then he goes back to his roots and blew us all away with his newer instrumental rock tracks.
Sure, they have to make a living playing and that depends a lot on popularity, but at some point, a departure from the inclinations of their natural talent almost always becomes stale.
On the opposite extreme are guys like Yngwie who was so, so good at what he used to do but got permanently stuck in the whole deedle-deedle-deedle shred thing that I don't think he can ever compose on the level of Rising Force anymore.
Not sure I agree with that entirely . I think if your a good player that part of the creative process is to want to try other things and with that in mind you may or may not be good at it.

So you're telling me I can't make due with my pentatonic licks anymore?

Back