Is the Marshall SC20H worth checking out?

napalmdeath

Anybody rocking an 800 mini? I'd like to get something Marshall flavored with EL34's in a mini/lunchbox size like my PT-20. I want to keep one of the heads/112 cab at the office, one at home. I'd like to get bigger bottle EL34's.

Anybody compare the SC20H to the 2525H?

Not even apples to oranges….I know
But….Ive picked up a SV capture for my quad Cortex and it is GD spectacular! If the real SC is that good, and better, then holy shit man!

Interested to follow the comments and feedback you get here.

Last edited:
I had the blackout version of the SC20H for a bit. It was cool and sounded like an 800. Ended up using it as partial trade bait on a Les Paul because I liked the modded 2203X I have more.

Also had a 2525H but not at the same time as the SC20H. I didn't give the mini Jube enough time but if I was going to buy another, it would be the Jube due to the versatility and already having the 800 thing covered.

I’d like to grab one to stuff my blue collar mod into for an easy transfer grab and go Marshall. They’re badass little amps. Throw an SD-1 into the front of one and they get super gainy. Go for it man!

Lately I can’t seem to decide if I want to go the SV or SC route, or more so, which one I want to get first. Getting that Edwards LP Custom with the Wylde EMG’s, I REALLY want to go down the 800 route, but the whole reason I’m putting together a pedal/amp-based rig is to go for EJ/Gilmour tones with it, which the Classic would surely do better.

Lately I can’t seem to decide if I want to go the SV or SC route, or more so, which one I want to get first. Getting that Edwards LP Custom with the Wylde EMG’s, I REALLY want to go down the 800 route, but the whole reason I’m putting together a pedal/amp-based rig is to go for EJ/Gilmour tones with it, which the Classic would surely do better.
I had the SV20, VERY briefly. Wasn't my cup 'o tea. Loud AF on .5, woofy/tubby, and I off'd it pretty quick. Even tried a PS-2 with it, and it managed to make it sound even shittier.

I played one briefly at GC and have been eyeing used 2204s locally since lol Although buying a vintage amp scares me a bit

I had an SC20H but it was waaaay too bright for me. Way brighter than the 80’s 800 I used to have. Ended up selling the SC20H.

I briefly played a SC20 and liked it a lot (my fav amps are 2204s FWIW).

I don't really get the point of the SV20. With no master volume, it'll still be deafening by the time it starts to overdrive.

I briefly played a SC20 and liked it a lot (my fav amps are 2204s FWIW).

I don't really get the point of the SV20. With no master volume, it'll still be deafening by the time it starts to overdrive.
Not everyone uses the SV for overdrive. Some use it clean or for a pedal platform. Also, it’s still quieter than a 50W Plexi.

Remember that these are not home amps. They are meant to be played loud to get the best tone (studio or stage).

Reactions: ccn
I've had a SC20 for a few months now. With a SD1 for a slight boost it sounds like a good and gainy 800. It is very bright until you get to around 6 on the preamp knob. At that point it sounds like a bright cap drops out of the circuit and your all good. I play mine thru a Marshall style Avatar 1x12 loaded with a Celestion Heritage G1265 and love it.

Im interested in the SC20 also. Have any of you run one of these in 4cm? Gained up and then switching over to something in the loop like an HX Stomp for cleans? Essentially making it a 2 channel amp? How are the loops on these studio Marshalls?

Im interested in the SC20 also. Have any of you run one of these in 4cm? Gained up and then switching over to something in the loop like an HX Stomp for cleans? Essentially making it a 2 channel amp? How are the loops on these studio Marshalls?

I couldn’t because mine was one of the ones with loop problems (noisy).

Anybody rocking an 800 mini? I'd like to get something Marshall flavored with EL34's in a mini/lunchbox size like my PT-20. I want to keep one of the heads/112 cab at the office, one at home. I'd like to get bigger bottle EL34's.

Anybody compare the SC20H to the 2525H?
The SC20 & 2525 is sort of an apples and oranges comparison. I personally prefer the SC20, but whenever I play the 2525, it's a lot of fun and very satisfying tones. If you don't need clean headroom, the SV20 is really outstanding in regards to achieving plexi tones at relatively low volume (still, it's 20 Marshall watts so capable of being very loud).
Now, if you have a PT20, I'd be hesitant to drop it if I were you. It's one of the most outstanding and versatile small amps on the planet. It's the only EL84 amp (besides the Fryette Memphis) that small bottle tubes don't matter at all. It's more versatile and manageable than an SC20, but the SC20 will never get drowned out by a drummer. One advantage of the SC20 is the low input which has beautiful cleanish tones. You can achieve similar cleanish tones with the PT20 gain switch.
It really depends on if you want that JCM800 sound at much more manageable volume. Whenever I play the SC20, it reminds me of Maiden's Live After Death tone and Schenker's tone.

I love the SC20. Great rock crunch, from old AC/DC through power metal. It's not bright for me, through Creamback 65s, and I run the Gain from 2-3 to 6, where it's tighter. It has a bit more gain than a 2204, which is handy, and plenty loud enough IME to keep up with a drummer. And it weighs less than a 12 of longnecks. The 2525 to me didn't have as much available volume, and it needed volume before the gain channel gain stopped sounding diode-y to my ears, but the low gain channel sounded nicely gritty with the diodes on.

Back