NAD: Hermansson Dual Rectifier

itsgoodnow

Hey All,

I got my Dual Rectifier back from Hermansson a couple of days ago. I had very high hopes based on the clips I had heard and I am not disappointed. Some background, I, frankly, do not like a stock recto. With a boost it isn't bad but it generally is not my thing. It is not about the core tone, but rather about the big (and bloated low end) and a lot of the individual note detail that seems to be buried in it. I also have a JT modded rectifier that I will reference in the review also.

IMG_2582.jpg

This Hermansson is a 3 channel. All are overhauled. Important to note, if you send him a 2 channel recto there is a tightness control for each channel on a dial. If you send a 3 channel, the tightness is set to a preset value. I thought I would miss that versatility but whatever the default was for this is perfect. There are things all 3 channels have in common--they all have a lot more clarity, all are much more open, and they all have an extremely low noise floor. Each channel has a wide EQ sweep and all settings sound good, just a taste thing. Even all dials at noon sounds incredible. With a little more push everything really gets a lot more life. Channel 1 is a clean. In clean mode it is glassy and gorgeous. In pushed mode it gets a bit more dirt on it and is very versatile. But, on to the fun stuff.

Channel 2 is the first dirt channel. It is tight and aggressive. The boomy low end is taken out and the mid detail is back. I want to clarify that some of the clips online can make the amp sound thin in the ass end. I find that untrue. My house was still shaking with bass on palm mutes, the bass is just more detailed and focused, less tubbiness. It is an aggressive channel with a lot of grit.

Channel 3 is basically the crown jewel of the amp for me. Heinrich said the amp has an identical tune to channel 2 and 3, but I find this inaccurate in practice. 2 feels like a heavy rhythm tone. 3 is a scalpel, capable of very technical leads or just mean riffing. I obviously prefer the tone of 3 to 2, but some people may want more width in their sound (which channel 2 provides). It is tight as hell, however, it is not stiff. Still very easy to play and has great touch response. It is insanely focused with a lot of note detail. I think it is important to note the clarity does not come at the sacrifice of a thick/gritty note or saturation. There i still plenty of that here, just with the added detail and focus. Great for a lead channel or just brutal metal. I think it's the most aggressive amp sound I've ever gotten. Honestly, I will likely stay on this channel all the time.

A couple critiques. The modern mode is clearly where this amp shines. I do not think the raw or vintage modes sound bad, but the modern modes It sounds like you would think it would (and probably why you are looking to get this mod). My JT mod I think is actually best on the raw setting instead of the modern (which is second best). The JT may be the biggest sounding amp I've ever played through and I think would be better suited for straight up hard rock tones or something where quick technical note separation is not the priority. It sounds huge and I think it has better raw/vintage channels than this. For a clean channel and for metal the Hermansson is the clear winner. There is basically no overlap between the two mods.

Back to just the Hermansson--I likely will not take it off modern mode ever. It is a metal machine with this setup. The amp sounds good on both tubes and diodes. I don't actually know which setting I prefer. The tubes, of course, have a bit more body and are bigger, the diodes are more focused but not shrill. I probably could have just this amp and my Ground Zero MOAB and really not need another amp. Of course, we all know that will never happen.

Henrich was great to deal with, very nice, asked me a lot of questions about the tunings I play in, how many strings I use, and my styles to tune the amp more to my liking. He packed like a champ, and it got from across the world to my house in a week. The shipping company cracked the headshell in transit (fuck those people), and Henrich spotted the issue, glued the headshell and sent me updates on the build and the repair constantly. Nice guy and can't wait go get a Marshall from him.

Additional update: I spent more time with channel 2 on modern and vintage and really like them. 3 is still the favorite but I think 2 gives more width. The raw to me is not my fav but the other 2 modes are great and versatile and do a tight aggressive rock rhythm tone. Both have grown on me even more.

Last edited:
Thank you for a great write up!

Did Fedex deliver it? They did the same to a 101b I just got delivered. Cracked the whole bottom side of the headshell. Filed a claim with them so we will see how it goes.

Hey All,

I got my Dual Rectifier back from Hermansson a couple of days ago. I had very high hopes based on the clips I had heard and I am not disappointed. Some background, I, frankly, do not like a stock recto. With a boost it isn't bad but it generally is not my thing. It is not about the core tone, but rather about the big (and bloated low end) and a lot of the individual note detail that seems to be buried in it. I also have a JT modded rectifier that I will reference in the review also.

View attachment 158287

This Hermansson is a 3 channel. All are overhauled. Important to note, if you send him a 2 channel recto there is a tightness control for each channel on a dial. If you send a 3 channel, the tightness is set to a preset value. I thought I would miss that versatility but whatever the default was for this is perfect. There are things all 3 channels have in common--they all have a lot more clarity, all are much more open, and they all have an extremely low noise floor. Each channel has a wide EQ sweep and all settings sound good, just a taste thing. Even all dials at noon sounds incredible. With a little more push everything really gets a lot more life. Channel 1 is a clean. In clean mode it is glassy and gorgeous. In pushed mode it gets a bit more dirt on it and is very versatile. But, on to the fun stuff.

Channel 2 is the first dirt channel. It is tight and aggressive. The boomy low end is taken out and the mid detail is back. I want to clarify that some of the clips online can make the amp sound thin in the ass end. I find that untrue. My house was still shaking with bass on palm mutes, the bass is just more detailed and focused, less tubbiness. It is an aggressive channel with a lot of grit.

Channel 3 is basically the crown jewel of the amp for me. Heinrich said the amp has an identical tune to channel 2 and 3, but I find this inaccurate in practice. 2 feels like a heavy rhythm tone. 3 is a scalpel, capable of very technical leads or just mean riffing. I obviously prefer the tone of 3 to 2, but some people may want more width in their sound (which channel 2 provides). It is tight as hell, however, it is not stiff. Still very easy to play and has great touch response. It is insanely focused with a lot of note detail. I think it is important to note the clarity does not come at the sacrifice of a thick/gritty note or saturation. There i still plenty of that here, just with the added detail and focus. Great for a lead channel or just brutal metal. I think it's the most aggressive amp sound I've ever gotten. Honestly, I will likely stay on this channel all the time.

A couple critiques. The modern mode is clearly where this amp shines. I do not think the raw or vintage modes sound bad, but the modern modes It sounds like you would think it would (and probably why you are looking to get this mod). My JT mod I think is actually best on the raw setting instead of the modern (which is second best). The JT may be the biggest sounding amp I've ever played through and I think would be better suited for straight up hard rock tones or something where quick technical note separation is not the priority. It sounds huge and I think it has better raw/vintage channels than this. For a clean channel and for metal the Hermansson is the clear winner. There is basically no overlap between the two mods.

Back to just the Hermansson--I likely will not take it off modern mode ever. It is a metal machine with this setup. The amp sounds good on both tubes and diodes. I don't actually know which setting I prefer. The tubes, of course, have a bit more body and are bigger, the diodes are more focused but not shrill. I probably could have just this amp and my Ground Zero MOAB and really not need another amp. Of course, we all know that will never happen.

Henrich was great to deal with, very nice, asked me a lot of questions about the tunings I play in, how many strings I use, and my styles to tune the amp more to my liking. He packed like a champ, and it got from across the world to my house in a week. The shipping company cracked the headshell in transit (fuck those people), and Henrich spotted the issue, glued the headshell and sent me updates on the build and the repair constantly. Nice guy and can't wait go get a Marshall from him.
Congrats, man. And kick ass on getting a marshall also. I can't wait to try a hermansson

Congrats! I could hear in all his clips how tight and fast his amps are, yet could still tell that they would feel easy to play. I’m curious how compressed do you find the amp to sound vs others as reference points? I know clips can be deceiving, but it seemed very compressed in his clips, but that kind of makes sense to me as to how amps can often be tight, fast, yet also feel fun and forgiving to play. That’s how my ccv is with the diode clipping engaged

Thank you for a great write up!

Did Fedex deliver it? They did the same to a 101b I just got delivered. Cracked the whole bottom side of the headshell. Filed a claim with them so we will see how it goes.
They did. I hate FedEx. This is the second amp they mangled and I pack like it’s filled with eggs.

Congrats! I could hear in all his clips how tight and fast his amps are, yet could still tell that they would feel easy to play. I’m curious how compressed do you find the amp to sound vs others as reference points? I know clips can be deceiving, but it seemed very compressed in his clips, but that kind of makes sense to me as to how amps can often be tight, fast, yet also feel fun and forgiving to play. That’s how my ccv is with the diode clipping engaged
Good question--I thought about this a lot after you asked it. I think there is an inherent level of compression for a 4 stage amp, but I do not think the amp comes across as compressed. It sounds a very open actually, despite what I thought it would sound like. I think his clips in the room make it sound less natural than it comes across. I would say it sounds similar to the Fortin Hiwatt in terms of openness and compression. It is not as raw as an old marshall, but is way less compressed than my Diezel Herbert and I would put it closer to the uncompressed category than super compressed (like an Engl for example). It also does not do the "blanket over the speaker" thing at all. There is compression I'm sure, but more of the "this has inherent compression that makes me sound more put together than I should on an amp" in terms of feel, but sounds more open and raw than it probably is. Makes you sound better without the negatives if that makes sense.

Good question--I thought about this a lot after you asked it. I think there is an inherent level of compression for a 4 stage amp, but I do not think the amp comes across as compressed. It sounds a very open actually, despite what I thought it would sound like. I think his clips in the room make it sound less natural than it comes across. I would say it sounds similar to the Fortin Hiwatt in terms of openness and compression. It is not as raw as an old marshall, but is way less compressed than my Diezel Herbert and I would put it closer to the uncompressed category than super compressed (like an Engl for example). It also does not do the "blanket over the speaker" thing at all. There is compression I'm sure, but more of the "this has inherent compression that makes me sound more put together than I should on an amp" in terms of feel, but sounds more open and raw than it probably is. Makes you sound better without the negatives if that makes sense.
Interesting, that sounds great! If it could have all those qualities while being open than would make it quite an exception of an amp. I think rawness would largely be due to how raw the donor amp sounds. Maybe it’s a semantic thing, but I found the Fortin’s I’ve tried (Natas & Meshuggah) to be more on the compressed side, but haven’t tried the Hiwatt one and we both know how open stock Hiwatt’s are lol. Engl’s & JVM’s are the epitome of compressed IME. Agreed there

Last edited:
Interesting, that sounds great! If it cold have all those qualities while being open than would make it quite an exception of an amp. I think rawness would largely be due to how raw the donor amp sounds. Maybe it’s a semantic thing, but I found the Fortin’s I’ve tried (Natas & Meshuggah) to be more on the compressed side, but haven’t tried the Hiwatt one and we both know how open stock Hiwatt’s are lol. Engl’s & JVM’s are the epitome of compressed IME. Agreed there
haha as you know, the DR103 is just an open monster. I have not tried the other Fortin offerings but felt my Cali was pretty open--until you hit the Jose setting. Then it was a saturated compressed cluster fuck. I did not care for that and generally avoid compressed amps (or compressed to the point it is actively noticeable). Of course different, but I would be surprised if you got one of these and did not like it. It really has the compression benefit and still sounds really raw and responsive. I am usually not a honeymoon with an amp guy. Either I play it and I know it is my thing or I plug in and am kinda meh or worse on it. Instantly it was apparent this was special. I don't think it is a viable classic rock amp (at least on its surface). I think for really angry tight metal this would be hard to beat. I was less than impressed for what I like for the non-modern settings (which is fair since I have other things that do the raw or vintage thing better and would reach for them first). I would not call it a one trick pony exactly, but a fantastic tool for the heavy stuff and I would have a hard time reaching for another high gainer over this. The exception being the MOAB for the Marshall style voicing.

Also a PS: I think the JT mod is massive sounding and huge and better as a rock/hard rock amp in the other voicings, but there is no doubt the JT is less compressed than a stock recto, and the Hermansson is significantly less compressed than the JT.

haha as you know, the DR103 is just an open monster. I have not tried the other Fortin offerings but felt my Cali was pretty open--until you hit the Jose setting. Then it was a saturated compressed cluster fuck. I did not care for that and generally avoid compressed amps (or compressed to the point it is actively noticeable). Of course different, but I would be surprised if you got one of these and did not like it. It really has the compression benefit and still sounds really raw and responsive. I am usually not a honeymoon with an amp guy. Either I play it and I know it is my thing or I plug in and am kinda meh or worse on it. Instantly it was apparent this was special. I don't think it is a viable classic rock amp (at least on its surface). I think for really angry tight metal this would be hard to beat. I was less than impressed for what I like for the non-modern settings (which is fair since I have other things that do the raw or vintage thing better and would reach for them first). I would not call it a one trick pony exactly, but a fantastic tool for the heavy stuff and I would have a hard time reaching for another high gainer over this. The exception being the MOAB for the Marshall style voicing.

Also a PS: I think the JT mod is massive sounding and huge and better as a rock/hard rock amp in the other voicings, but there is no doubt the JT is less compressed than a stock recto, and the Hermansson is significantly less compressed than the JT.
Yeah I think most guys getting a Hermansson are looking for a metal machine, but seems like it can at least cover other territories in the clips. So far I found the biggest sounding high gain amps I’ve tried to be my Megalith Beta, Blueface or colisuem. The Original Revision Uberschall after that maybe. Tightest would be ccv or Mako (of what I’ve tried). Will have to try a Hermansson in the future and see how it stacks up

Yeah I think most guys getting a Hermansson are looking for a metal machine, but seems like it can at least cover other territories in the clips. So far I found the biggest sounding high gain amps I’ve tried to be my Megalith Beta, Blueface or colisuem. The Original Revision Uberschall after that maybe. Tightest would be ccv or Mako (of what I’ve tried). Will have to try a Hermansson in the future and see how it stacks up
I have Megalith Beta too. It does what I expected from Herbert thing more than Herbert IMO. I am waiting for Henriks own production line. I hope he announce his own things ASAP.

I have Megalith Beta too. It does what I expected from Herbert thing more than Herbert IMO. I am waiting for Henriks own production line. I hope he announce his own things ASAP.
Totally agreed! It kills the Herbert at its own game. I heard from one guy on the MI Audio Facebook group that the Beta was somewhat based on the Herbert & Uberschall, but I wouldn’t know

Last edited:
Congrats! Looks stellar. I have a Rev G with the tightness knobs. More just to shape the pickups. Also i think it helps to have with the vintage mode.

Quick tip - I find a boost is too much, but a slight nudge from an EQ pedal up front works well if you want to add extra thump/grind/chirp. I use a Boss GE10

PPffffttttt... My FM3 cops all those tones.

Back