Beat It - Isolated Guitars

Ah, so hearing it w/o the other instruments and stuff blending in, it appears Eddie WAS human afterall. Still cool to hear though. Listening to this through studio monitors is so much better than hearing it through regular computer speakers or a phone.

One of my favorite Lukather iso tracks

Right before Van Halen's guitar solo begins, a noise is heard that sounds like somebody knocking at a door. It is reported that the knock was a person walking into Van Halen's recording studio. Another story has claimed that the sound was simply the musician knocking on his own guitar.[27]

The engineers were shocked during the recording of Van Halen's solo to discover that the sound of his guitar had caused the monitor speaker in the control room to catch fire, causing one to exclaim, "This must be really good!"[28]

@jchrisf. So when my goofy cover band plays “beat it”. I tell my drummer make sure you hit that door knock solo… he say wtf is that? He cannot hear it. As I have gotten older it’s not as pronounced. When I was younger it was in the middle of the song as if lukather knocked on the control room microphone with his fingernail or something. My band told me I’m crazy which is beside the point; Maybe there are a group of folks who lose the ability to hear that “noise”.

Anybody know how Ed got that chain saw sound in his tone?
Wouldn't surprise me if that went straight into the board through a dirt box. That is one of those things you practice cutting maybe and he just couldn't recapture it so they rolled with it. There is some type of story there though that I saw on youtube that talked about the gear I just can't remember where I found it.

Scratch that, not direct now that I relisten. I think it was just the standard superlead as usual balls out.

Back