First 4x12! Opinions Wanted

Wouldn't the Greenbacks being around 95db sensitivity vs V30's 100db sensitivity mean that the greenbacks would be dominated by the V30's volume wise? So it would be the v30's that you'd hear the most, right??
Technically yes but just saw Dave Friedman discussing this on Tone Talk the other day and why he puts the GB's on top. He felt the difference was negligible.

And from my experience I once had GB's on top and GH30 Annis on the bottom and it was negligible. In fact those cabs (Mojaves) were the best sounding cabs I ever heard.

The original 4x12 VHT cabinets came loaded with V30s and were even tighter/stiffer. Ridiculously so. Internally the speakers were sealed off from each other (can't remember if it was all of them or only the two pairs). The cab was redesigned early on for a slightly fatter tone/response and renamed the FatBottom, because it became somewhat fatter sounding. This is long before the Deliverance cab, which went further in that direction. A Mesa C+ amp into that old VHT cab had ZERO bloom to it, almost made it sound like a solid state amp.
had one, 2530 version, greenback on top, Marshall Vintage at bottom. It was really tigher than standard FB cab but also more musical, hard to explain. I think David Laboga makes or maked this style of cab.

Technically yes but just saw Dave Friedman discussing this on Tone Talk the other day and why he puts the GB's on top. He felt the difference was negligible.

And from my experience I once had GB's on top and GH30 Annis on the bottom and it was negligible. In fact those cabs (Mojaves) were the best sounding cabs I ever heard.

Those mojave 4x12s are really heavily built and great sounding

OP, since you have the v30s covered with the Mesa OS, I would get an unloaded Marshall 4x12 and put scumbacks in it

OP, since you have the v30s covered with the Mesa OS, I would get an unloaded Marshall 4x12 and put scumbacks in it
Thanks man. Heard great things about those speakers. Do you have a preference on Scumbacks you like?

Btw if you can find a Randall Warhead cab ever grab it . I love it as much as my Marshall , Bogner , or whatever . I’d buy another myself

had one, 2530 version, greenback on top, Marshall Vintage at bottom. It was really tigher than standard FB cab but also more musical, hard to explain. I think David Laboga makes or maked this style of cab.
Yeah it’s either the Laboga Tight or Ultra Tight series. I’ve never played one myself, though.

Yeah those cabs were incredible, I wonder if Mathers was building those for Mojave at the time. I'm pretty sure he built the 2x12.

I lost mine in a rehearsal room fire along with alot of other gear years ago. Replaced them with Splawns and there was really no comparison between the Mojave.

Yeah those cabs were incredible, I wonder if Mathers was building those for Mojave at the time. I'm pretty sure he built the 2x12.

I lost mine in a rehearsal room fire along with alot of other gear years ago. Replaced them with Splawns and there was really no comparison between the Mojave.

Splawn makes good stuff, no doubt, but those mojave cabs had a definite je ne sais quoi

I have all Marshall or marshall style cabs now, but those things and Mills are a cut above IMO

Splawn makes good stuff, no doubt, but those mojave cabs had a definite je ne sais quoi

I have all Marshall or marshall style cabs now, but those things and Mills are a cut above IMO
Yeah still got my old beater late 80's 4x12 Marshall. I'm actually going to reload that cab with either GB's on top, GH30 Annis on the bottom or an X Pattern of V30's and GH30 Annis. I have the V30 / GH30 Anni combo in my Bogner 2x12 and I've really gotten used to the way they sound. The Stock vented 75's in my old Marshall cab kinda grate on my ears now. Granted those things have seen a lot of wear at various times.

Yeah still got my old beater late 80's 4x12 Marshall. I'm actually going to reload that cab with either GB's on top, GH30 Annis on the bottom or an X Pattern of V30's and GH30 Annis. I have the V30 / GH30 Anni combo in my Bogner 2x12 and I've really gotten used to the way they sound. The Stock vented 75's in my old Marshall cab kinda grate on my ears now. Granted those things have seen a lot of wear at various times.

I absolutely love the vented t75s personally, but I understand they aren't for everyone, and definitely not for every amplifier

My redplate 1960a copy has a quad of old v30s because gotta have variety right?

The anniversaries are fantastic speakers though, can't really go wrong

I’d get something with some greenbacks mixed in. I use a scumback 4x12 on one side of the room, and a V30 2x12 vertically on the other side of the room and it’s killer. Great for loud playing and “fills out” low volume playing

I have a KSR 4x12 with Creamback 75s and redbacks. I really dig it. Built well and sounds great. Fair price

Redbacks/H75s is my favorite combo right now. I also like playing my all redback Wizard 412 and my Fryette Fane F70 cab togethe so I think they would mix well in a single 412

I agree with Bram576, depends on the tones you are going for. I'd go Bogner or Friedman, with the nice mix. My Friedman 1x12 sounds much bigger than it's size and can't imagine how great a 4x12 would sound.

I'll put in another vote for the Friedman cab. Stock, it sounds great and is super versatile. I've swapped speakers in mine a few times and it handles all speakers well too. It is just personal preference.

Back